+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Save the Manuals . . .

Liked
    1477 times

Default Save the Manuals . . .

So this is my rant about the current state of modern sports cars, and all new cars for that matter. Perhaps I'm a Dinosaur, but I believe that driving a car means shifting it yourself. That means a stick shift and a clutch pedal. I get it that no-clutch-pedal dual-clutch paddle-shifter transmissions in current high-end sports cars like Ferraris and Porsches can go SLIGHTLY faster than a manual. But they are soul-less. You don't buy a Rolex watch with a battery in it. You don't buy a Porsche with an automatic transmission (which is what PDK and F1 really are).

The killer for me is that the new Porsche 991 GT3 will NOT BE AVAILABLE with a stick. You haven't been able to buy a new Ferrari (if any of us could actually afford to buy a new Ferrari) since the 430, that was replaced by the F1-transmission only 458 a few years ago.

I think I am a better judge about what gear I should be in than some slushbox. Go ahead with the flames . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2282 times

Though I never owned a DSG, so I am no expert. But I wouldn't mind diving a DSG if it means no more crunchy 3rd gear, money shift or bad clutch.

Though I am pretty sure DSG will have its own problem (at least no money shift)
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ William -- I am never sure if I understand your English. Is a "money shift" the same thing as a "money shot"?

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ^^^ William -- I am never sure if I understand your English. Is a "money shift" the same thing as a "money shot"?
    as in shifting from 3rd to 2nd when you meant to shift from 3rd to 4th.....that revving sound you hear is hundred dollar bills getting shredded....
    Olitho, Red_5 and Loose Caboose like this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    366 times

I think I am a better judge about what gear I should be in than some slushbox. Go ahead with the flames . . .
    I got my money on the slushbox!
    Loose Caboose likes this.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    258 times

I am with you,,, While we are it, lets get rid of TC and ABS... I for one don't need the car controlling itself, that is what makes driving fun... The "money shift" is the sound of you running out skill.

and now that I think about it what was wrong with a finely tuned carburetor?

Must suck to get old,
    BID
    bellwilliam and hotrodmex like this.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Real cars you crank start by hand and tighten the wheels down with a hammer. There's nothing like spraying ether directly into the carb or tuning it yourself as you change your setup. Synchronized transmissions and ABS are the work of the devil. There's nothing like 7* of camber in a bias-ply tire that squirms all over the place. These new-fangled cars with fuel injection and ECUs that you need a degree in engineering to adjust for modifications done to the car are simply stupid.
    I think i'm getting lazy, enjoying paddle-shift racecars and dual-clutch transmissions in modern street cars. You can't stop evolution. At the end of the day you can always buy older cars, 996-7 GT3s, Cobra or Caterham replica, or 1960's air cooled Porsches. Or just find a Model-T.
    bawareca and Loose Caboose like this.

Liked
    704 times

I think it all comes down to what you grew up with and how you pretended to drive before you could legally do it. I understand that most automatics are going to be faster but my lap times aren't putting food on the table - the opposite really - so I want the shifting my own gears by pushing a clutch pedal experience.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    237 times

Go manual or go home!

Personally, I don't have a problem with TC and DSC. They have their place, especially for street driving. But I like it when manufacturers allow you to fully disable them if the driver so desires.

At the end of the day, it's about giving the driver more control of the car and being an engaged (and entertained) driver. A manual transmission lets you do this more than the paddle-shift transmissions ever will.

Liked
    2242 times

In an effort to save the manuals, I insisted the used Protege5 I just bought had a five speed. It's just a grocery getter, but it is a very engaging little car to drive. Fun even.

I have to say it has a looooooooooong throw compared with a Miata.

Liked
    854 times

"To each his own", I guess. No right answer, just different goals.

Nothing like a silky smooth, heel-toe downshift. But they do take more time, and are not 100% perfect each and every time.

btw: Wonder if anyone complained about the advent of synchromesh - way back in the day when double clutching was a part of both down shifting and up shifting . . or "automatic" ignition advance.
    SteveLevin likes this.

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

I've enjoyed driving floppy paddle boxes in Evos, GTRs, 911s and M3s but I prefer the manual boxes. A nice manual gear box is much more engaging and visceral to me. I like technology advances that make cars work better as long as they leave the driving to the driver. TC, no thanks. But, as an example, the active toe links on the 991 seem like they work awesome.

Liked
    143 times

Have to build what people will buy. Fewer people learning to drive each year know anyone that can teach them or even has access to a manual car to learn.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    I think i'm getting lazy, enjoying paddle-shift racecars and dual-clutch transmissions in modern street cars. You can't stop evolution. At the end of the day you can always buy older cars, 996-7 GT3s, Cobra or Caterham replica, or 1960's air cooled Porsches. Or just find a Model-T.
    Or E30
    But yeah,I've been driving manual since 1986 and sometimes I dont mind driving automatic,and I might get excited to fit dual clutch or SMG to my track car.But I will never seize driving a manual on a regular basis.
    OTOH I have personally installed windows XP on all my computers and I consider that the last OS where I am actually behind the wheel,i.e. in control.Vista Win 7 and 8 are what the slushboxes,PDK,DSC and the self driving cars are in the automotive world. Not much different of a concept.

Liked
    545 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    "To each his own", I guess. No right answer, just different goals.

Nothing like a silky smooth, heel-toe downshift. But they do take more time, and are not 100% perfect each and every time.

btw: Wonder if anyone complained about the advent of synchromesh - way back in the day when double clutching was a part of both down shifting and up shifting . . or "automatic" ignition advance.
    I agree; synchros totally ruin the experience of having to get shifts done right.

And I still watch Bonanza on a black and white TV

Steve

Liked
    854 times

And I listen to the Lone Ranger on my hardwood, console radio.

Liked
    1477 times

And I make paintings on the cave walls . . .
    Loose Caboose likes this.

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

...and i dont walk upright but use sticks as tools to eat bugs...

Liked
    641 times

Thanks guys,after reading those last posts i feel like teenager again

Liked
    1477 times

BTW, I first got my driver's license in 1971, and learned to drive a stick in 1973. I have owned about 30 cars in my life, of which all but about 3 had manuals.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast