+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Santa Monica Mountains Drive and Brunch Saturday

Liked
    0 times

Default Santa Monica Mountains Drive and Brunch Saturday

I know this is a track forum and high speed driving in the mountains is discouraged and illegal, but if you would like to join us on a nice scenic drive at or under posted limits then meet us in venice at 10am,

PM me for more details.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3
    JC3D // Racecars and Keyframes // 996 Spec

Liked
    10 times

I can't go unless it's over speed limit

Motorsports Photographer imager993's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

I'm there with car and camera in hand
    Aaron Kupferman | 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe | Visual Effects Electric Reality | Motorsports Photography Motorsport Lens | Other Photography AaronKupferman.com

Liked
    2 times

I'd go, but I have a basketball game at 2pm in Placentia. I was planning to cruise Angeles Crest that morning too.

Liked
    34 times

How's the patrol situation over there? I heard ever since a few months ago, the patrol gotten really bad especially on weekends. They would pull cars over for very minor stuff, front plates, exhaust, tinted windows, etc. I got a front plate ticket about a year ago at Angeles Crest. A couple of my friends got one as well just three weeks ago, one of them got a speeding ticket for going 5 mph over.

Liked
    1 times

Front plate tickets? does it still work if I put one in my front windshield?
    Aaron Kupferman | 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe | Visual Effects Electric Reality | Motorsports Photography Motorsport Lens | Other Photography AaronKupferman.com

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by imager993 View Post
    Front plate tickets? does it still work if I put one in my front windshield?
    You can still get a ticket for having it on the windshield. Law says it has to be on the front bumper. Good thing it's only a fix-it ticket. So I didn't have to pay.

Liked
    0 times

I have had good luck up there. Bikes and cars. I have never had a front license plate on my car since I bought it. (knock on wood)

Although I have gotten a couple for no plate on my old bike. Up in the bay I had no problem with that.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3

Liked
    34 times

Nope, the license plate on windshield doesn't work. I got a ticket for that a long long time ago. Back then a fix it ticket was free. All you need is a signature from a law enforcer. Now, its $10 + the signature for any fix-it ticket.

Liked
    1 times

if I carry it in the car with me and tape it to my bumper if I do get pulled over, will that work, or do they just write the ticket and walk away not giving you a chance to put it on? I can just say I ordered the holder for the front and it has not come yet.

Either way though, I'll still be there for the drive. Should be fun.

Liked
    0 times

The whole thing is dont drive fast in dumb places. Why go fast on a straight and risk getting nailed for something that isn't as fun as turns. The roads we take, we drive slow through the heavily patroled area.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by imager993 View Post
    if I carry it in the car with me and tape it to my bumper if I do get pulled over, will that work, or do they just write the ticket and walk away not giving you a chance to put it on? I can just say I ordered the holder for the front and it has not come yet.

Either way though, I'll still be there for the drive. Should be fun.
    It depends on the cop. If he/she is chill, then he/she might let you slide. If not, then you're definitely gonna get a ticket. I just leave mine on so I don't have to worry about it.

Liked
    12 times

I've actually avoided getting a speeding ticket by not having a front plate on the car. It was the day after Thanksgiving two years ago, coming back home from Mammoth. I was stuck behind a very slow moving RV for miles. When I finally got to the passing lane, I just floored it and didn't see the CHP across the hill. He clocked me going 80+ at a 65 mph zone. Cop was in a good mood that day, and gave me a choice of either getting the speeding ticket or a fix-it ticket for not having a front plate. Easiest decision I had to make in my entire life

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by colatkitty View Post
    I've actually avoided getting a speeding ticket by not having a front plate on the car. It was the day after Thanksgiving two years ago, coming back home from Mammoth. I was stuck behind a very slow moving RV for miles. When I finally got to the passing lane, I just floored it and didn't see the CHP across the hill. He clocked me going 80+ at a 65 mph zone. Cop was in a good mood that day, and gave me a choice of either getting the speeding ticket or a fix-it ticket for not having a front plate. Easiest decision I had to make in my entire life
    Damn.. You sure did get lucky that day. Wish more cops were kind like that.

Liked
    2 times

speaking of getting pulled over, i was pulled over in pasadena on my way to school on the week of finals last semester. no apparent reason, they were pulling EVERYONE over. no joke, no fun. now i have to fix my muffler cause its too loud. supposedly 103db at idle.

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by kenchi View Post
    speaking of getting pulled over, i was pulled over in pasadena on my way to school on the week of finals last semester. no apparent reason, they were pulling EVERYONE over. no joke, no fun. now i have to fix my muffler cause its too loud. supposedly 103db at idle.
    Lame. That sucks man. Where do you go to school?

Liked
    0 times

Is Aaron the only one from here going?

So far it's going to be a nice small group:

99 911
    07 EVO
    05 STI
    02 TT
    Last edited by JC3D; 01-31-2008 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Smiley face being beaten by a stick.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3

Liked
    1 times

MMII in roman numerals or look in my sig.

Liked
    2 times

I think I'll be able to make it. My basketball game's on sunday, not saturday, so I should be free for tomorrow. Add me to the list.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by kenchi View Post
    Cop said your muffler was that loud? He's daft. The law clearly states that the measurement is to be made using the SAE method: 45-degree angle, at 1 meter and A-weighting on the db meter. Can't recall the RPM, but it ain't idle, more like 4k. Take it to the referee, unless you could get nailed on a smog issue.
    +++++++++++++
    "The history of liberty is a history of resistance." -- Nadia Boulanger
    Member SCCA > Cal Club Region > Pacific Sports Car Club
    1994 CSP Miata [Hmm, what to do next ... ]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast