+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: S2000 baffled oil pan

  1. #21
    Gearhead gixxer_drew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    649
    Liked
    48 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by momofoolio View Post
    honestly, how effective is an baffled oil pan on F20/ F22 still requires more data!

    some of the fastest s2k drivers I know are not running the baffled plate and we never got any problem with way over 100 track days combined, pulling over 1G in turns!!

    I think a JDM baffled oil pan would be much better than ebay baffle plate, I saw the weld quality of the plate on my previous s2k and I did not want to put another one into my current s2k LOL

    I ran into initial starvation at 1.3G roughly which was on street class tires with some downforce. Riverside, last corner at big willow those are tough. Location of your pickup point matters for which corners will kill an engine. It's not the kind of thing you want to discover you got wrong when your motor is in pieces. You won't instantly drop pressure, then get a warning light and can get off the gas.

    Oil Pres gauges filter the signal quite a bit because oil pumps pulsate, though an accusump will fix that. The starvations happen briefly and beat up engines over time. You definitely need a good logger rather than a gauge and do not filter the data in the software, do it with your eyes, log at a decent rate.

    With the baffled pan and accusump it could handle 1.6G on NT01 and relatively high downforce. Data is from motec dash's integrated sensor. The application was a Mitsubishi Eclipse with the pickup on the drivers side.
    Andrew M Brilliant
    Aerodynamicist / Race Engineer

  2. #22
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,671
    Liked
    2320 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrackZ View Post
    "King of the Mountain" was the *****in movie...I was up there for many years in my Pinto and S3 Chastain Capri..Used to hang at Truckstop and accross from the fire station at Laurel...Good Ol Days I Guess
    I used to run there with my Scirocco.
    but mostly on Sunset from UCLA down to the beach.

    it was from movie "Against All Odds", really ghey movie, on Sunset. They used to encourage street races in movies those days

    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XDST13YFEM[/YOUTUBE]
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 01-03-2011 at 12:40 PM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

  3. #23
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,200
    Liked
    708 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I used to run there with my Scirocco.
    but mostly on Sunset from UCLA down to the beach.

    it was from movie "Against All Odds", really ghey movie, on Sunset. They used to encourage street races in movies those days
    Nice. Here's a modern recreation of that scene from Entourage.

    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sru24waDtvw[/YOUTUBE]

    Sorry, I can't figure out how to embed it like William did.

    e
    Last edited by Red_5; 01-03-2011 at 02:17 PM.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  4. #24
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,671
    Liked
    2320 times

    Default

    edit
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 01-03-2011 at 02:19 PM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

  5. #25
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,200
    Liked
    708 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    there is a youtube icon. after you click it, you get this:

    [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

    then insert "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sru24waDtvw" in between.
    I thought I had tried that but I guess not. Thanks.
    e
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  6. #26
    Member TrackZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    89
    Liked
    0 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gixxer_drew View Post
    I ran into initial starvation at 1.3G roughly which was on street class tires with some downforce. Riverside, last corner at big willow those are tough. Location of your pickup point matters for which corners will kill an engine. It's not the kind of thing you want to discover you got wrong when your motor is in pieces. You won't instantly drop pressure, then get a warning light and can get off the gas.

    Oil Pres gauges filter the signal quite a bit because oil pumps pulsate, though an accusump will fix that. The starvations happen briefly and beat up engines over time. You definitely need a good logger rather than a gauge and do not filter the data in the software, do it with your eyes, log at a decent rate.

    With the baffled pan and accusump it could handle 1.6G on NT01 and relatively high downforce. Data is from motec dash's integrated sensor. The application was a Mitsubishi Eclipse with the pickup on the drivers side.
    Do you have any apex speeds for these G's at Big Willow, T2 and T9???

    Thanks

  7. #27
    Member TrackZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    89
    Liked
    0 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I used to run there with my Scirocco.
    but mostly on Sunset from UCLA down to the beach.

    it was from movie "Against All Odds", really ghey movie, on Sunset. They used to encourage street races in movies those days

    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XDST13YFEM[/YOUTUBE]
    Sweet, I remeber seeing the movie in the theatre when it came out and laughing..I had afew runs myself on Scumset also...Oh to be young again

  8. #28
    "Shoe"
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,820
    Liked
    567 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    No, can't say that I do. Racers?

    Steve
    Mario Lozano owns TSR fabrication and is one of the largest if not the largest Datsun 510 restorer/tuner/modifiers in the west, if not the country. A member of the "Datsun Boys" group who all have pristine 13B or SR powered 510s that meet up at the Japanese Classic events.

    My uncle (Tod Kaneko) has matching orange 510 and 240Zs that have both been covered in numerous magazines in the past. Here's me tracking his 510 (although in the magazines, it had 15" wheels and no stripes):



    Awesome little cars.

  9. #29
    Old timer craZee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    El Cajon
    Posts
    652
    Liked
    456 times

    Default 510

    Love the flames coming out the back. Are they up in the Bay area?

    To answer an earlier question, no time (or talent) for a build thread. Will be proud if anyone can access these pictures!

    Datsun 510 pictures by 827570 - Photobucket

    Steve

  10. #30
    "Shoe"
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,820
    Liked
    567 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    Love the flames coming out the back. Are they up in the Bay area?

    To answer an earlier question, no time (or talent) for a build thread. Will be proud if anyone can access these pictures!

    Datsun 510 pictures by 827570 - Photobucket

    Steve
    Torrance.

  11. #31
    Sir flink
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    983
    Liked
    553 times

    Default

    In .au it was called the Datsun 1600. I remember when Dad brought one home. New. In 1969 .

    It was quite the little goer, quicker than the Datsun 1200. Very close to 100mph.

  12. #32
    Old timer craZee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    El Cajon
    Posts
    652
    Liked
    456 times

    Default accu-sump

    Thanks for all of the advice on the S2000 oil pan. After hearing everything from "if you don't do something you will blow it up in 5 mintues" to " I have 100 track days on my S2000 with no revisions" I have decided to add an accu-sump and press on. Thanks to Oli I did not have to buy a new one.

    I dropped the car over the drive train today and started fabricating new motor mounts and cross members. Found it interesting that the driveshaft is almost 12 inches too short.

    Had a chance to borrow some scales this week and the car weighed in at 1,839 lbs with 54% on the front wheels. Still missing some parts, but the car should be right at 1,925-1,950 lbs when completed.

    What does a stock S2000 weigh?

    craZee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 510-engine-test-fit.jpg  

  13. #33
    momofoolio Racing momofoolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Taipei
    Posts
    981
    Liked
    15 times

    Default

    general speaking, stock ap1 = 2800 wet no driver, ap2 = 2850 wet no driver

    you are in very good hands bro =)
    cannot wait for your build to be completed!
    momofoolio Racing - http://momofoolio.webs.com

    2nd Gen momofoolio Racing Time Attack S2000 - 07 Laguna Blue

    Now Full Time Drift Machine - 93 Silvia 240SX S13 KA24DE"T"

    New Drift Project - 98 LS14

    W2W Companion - 90 NA6 Miata

    Special Thanks: WestEnd Alignment, Rising Star Motors, APR Performance, SportCar Motion, Pit Garage, eXtremeSpeed, PuddyModRacing, Berk Technology & Amsoil

    Forever Missed: 04 G35, 04 Miata, 04 BMW 325ci, 02 S2000, 91 & 98 Nissan 240SX

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts