+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: RX8 overheating; give up and get s2k?

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

I put 30 track-hours on the stock factory motor on my MR2 Spyder, which has over 100,000 miles when I started. All I had to do was add an oil cooler and use the appropriate fluids. I even used the oem brake pads for a while and never experienced fade. Nothing ever broke, over heated, or needed any undue attention. If cheap, reliable, and not-a-Miata are you main objectives, then the Spyder is a good candidate.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    143 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    I put 30 track-hours on the stock factory motor on my MR2 Spyder, which has over 100,000 miles when I started. All I had to do was add an oil cooler and use the appropriate fluids. I even used the oem brake pads for a while and never experienced fade. Nothing ever broke, over heated, or needed any undue attention. If cheap, reliable, and not-a-Miata are you main objectives, then the Spyder is a good candidate.
    You still need to install a roll bar. The spyder also isn't a great car for long drives. It's more comfortable than an s2k but it has zero storage space to carry things. It's also not super fast. A street spyder does 2:07-2:10 at buttowillow.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    I raced an RX8 in Grand-Am and designed probably the best droo-in solution 3-pass radiator with Ron Davis. I would not go with an off the shelf Koyo or other brand. Either go all out with the best radiator you can, and oil coolers, otherwise go with the S2K. RX8s handle so well and I really like them but heat is their biggest issue (and fuel economy).
    Billy, what power and what temps were you seeing on hot days when not drafting? Apples and oranges, I'm sure, but still interesting to hear.

Liked
    137 times

Rob,
    I would definitely try and solve the issues with the RX8 first. I bought my S2k explicitly for the reason you bought the RX8, as a easy track toy but the hidden downside in your use case is you cannot put luggage AND your track kit in it for a long trip (especially if there is a significant other involved). It has the cargo space of kangaroos pouch (until you remove the softtop and passenger seat, then it can get cavernous). This now means if i want to do a track weekend or a trip with my wife that might involve a track day, I'm towing it just to avoid the angry looks i got the last time i told here "Were going to Monterey for the weekend, you can bring anything you want as long as it fits in your lap".

The S2K is a brilliant track car, and I ran mine nearly showroom stock for ~2years but it might be a tad out of your price range and wont be as practical as the RX8 is.

My 0.02

Liked
    258 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    I just hope that it's my radiator that's bad and not an airflow issue dominating the situation.
    Assuming your radiator is not plugged, and is flowing correctly. You have a airflow issue... 90% of the time a bigger radiator is a workaround to an airflow issue...Find a way to get more air out of the engine compartment?

BID
    bellwilliam and krazik like this.

Liked
    103 times

could buy my 370 come January, perfect street/track car in it's current configuration
    Last edited by GreyFocus; 12-01-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle View Post
    Rob,
    I would definitely try and solve the issues with the RX8 first. I bought my S2k explicitly for the reason you bought the RX8, as a easy track toy but the hidden downside in your use case is you cannot put luggage AND your track kit in it for a long trip (especially if there is a significant other involved). It has the cargo space of kangaroos pouch (until you remove the softtop and passenger seat, then it can get cavernous). This now means if i want to do a track weekend or a trip with my wife that might involve a track day, I'm towing it just to avoid the angry looks i got the last time i told here "Were going to Monterey for the weekend, you can bring anything you want as long as it fits in your lap".

The S2K is a brilliant track car, and I ran mine nearly showroom stock for ~2years but it might be a tad out of your price range and wont be as practical as the RX8 is.

My 0.02
    No SO and I typically pack for a week in a single soft backpack. No baggage issues No track kit to speak of either, just the helmet and tool bag (no, not Richard).

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by bikeindirt View Post
    Assuming your radiator is not plugged, and is flowing correctly. You have a airflow issue... 90% of the time a bigger radiator is a workaround to an airflow issue...Find a way to get more air out of the engine compartment?

BID
    Could look for a junkyard hood to cut holes in I suppose...

Liked
    258 times

on top of the hood, is not usually the best place to go looking for low pressure...

BID

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by bikeindirt View Post
    on top of the hood, is not usually the best place to go looking for low pressure...

BID
    Wheel wells and under the car maybe?

Liked
    1429 times

Called mazda. This engine has 80,000 miles on it. Original was replaced at 35k.

Liked
    258 times

I have never worked on an RX8... so it might be different,

But for most production based cars....
    There is a bow-wave of high pressure that starts at the firewall... As you drive faster it moves forward... When it gets close to the radiator, the fun stuff starts...

So to solve that you have 3 easy answers...

1) Help air get out of the engine compartment...(vent to X)
    2) Keep you top speed down... (short shift for a couple laps)
    3) Reduce the amount of air going into the engine compartment (my personal favorite)

The trick is to remember that the velocity of air going threw the radiator is the key... not the volume.

BID

Liked
    2242 times

You should talk to the Mothers guys. They have raced RX-8s for years.

Liked
    1477 times

I did lots of track days over a couple of years in my S2K ('03 AP1). I tore out the interior, removed the passenger seat, and installed a rollbar. I kept the soft top, and ran on track top up, except with NASA, which requires running top down.

Anyway, the point of this post is I don't think the S2K's storage space is that bad, as long as you drive to the track by yourself. I had a square set-up, running 255/40/17 NT-01s on all four corners. I could carry two new wheels and tires on the passenger side (and with proper tire management, I never ran out of tires during any track weekend), my tools and duffel bag in the trunk, and had no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle View Post
    Rob,

My 0.02
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    You should talk to the Mothers guys. They have raced RX-8s for years.
    I did. They run a giant radiator and bigger oil coolers.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Iirc they might be using the Ron Davis I designed. We were consistently 25-30*F lower water temps than the factory team Speedsource. Rarely did we go over 210*F and most of the time below 200. Oil coolers play a huge role on a rotary and we had up to 4 setrabs in series (2 big setrabs packaged better). Proper air tight ducting is always extremely important and a vented good would make a big difference as well, but we couldn't run one in Grand-Am.

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Iirc they might be using the Ron Davis I designed. We were consistently 25-30*F lower water temps than the factory team Speedsource. Rarely did we go over 210*F and most of the time below 200. Oil coolers play a huge role on a rotary and we had up to 4 setrabs in series (2 big setrabs packaged better). Proper air tight ducting is always extremely important and a vented good would make a big difference as well, but we couldn't run one in Grand-Am.
    Was your ron davis a multipass?

Liked
    742 times

E46, 330.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    4 times

His post says triple pass.

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red Mist View Post