+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ucfbrett

Thread: As the rotor turns and the things you think about.

Liked
    464 times

Default As the rotor turns and the things you think about.

For the first time in my life Iím building a rotary. Not just for my race car. But for my race car thatís going to Nationals. Finding out all the quirks of one of the most simply complex motors ever. I had an idea of whatís inside and how they work. I know why they make power and how to get the most out of one. I know. I know, Itís true I have even worked for Tri Point tuning them, and still hadnít built a rotary motor.

But what going through my head now is. Now that I do know what all the parts do. There is more to think about while driving. Yes itís a curse of a being a mechanic and racing. Sure itís good to know how things work and whatís doing what. Part of being a good mechanic is diagnosis. That art of being able to feel/see/know the problem and what part of the car itís coming from. So you can fix the problem as quickly as possible. To do this, you need to know what is what and what each part does. How it feels while driving the car.
    This brings me to. How to be a good driver. Although itís a good trait to have a diagnostic mind in practice to set up the car. It does not help as much in a race. You need to turn that part off, to a degree.

I remember, when I was young, seeing a Porsche Can Am car. It had no gauges, just lights on the dash. When I asked why no gauges. One of the crew laughed and said. A driver in a race does not need any information about the car. He should just drive it. A yellow light comes on. He just needs to pull in the pits. A red one, shut it off now! He has a full time job driving. The only thing he needs to know is how I can go faster.
    Now most of us, in grass roots racing, donít have a big crew. Or a crew at all. So we need to be mechanic, crew and driver. Learning how to turn on and off those parts of your brain, you donít need, will help you with your lap times.

Once you are in the driverís seat in a race. You do not need to think about the rotating mass and seals of the motor. Or even if you torqued your lug nuts. You need to just take the information and feedback you are getting from the car, tires, brakes, track and just driveÖ
    If you look at any really good driver. If something isnít working right in a corner (the car pushes, or ass steps out a little too far ectÖ). He changes his driving style to fit the car and what itís doing.

This is why when someone starts tracking, solo or racing. I preach. Just learn how to drive the car. Get everything out of it you can. Then start making changes.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    2243 times

From your in-car video that I've seen, I thought the RX-7's ass steps out a little too far in every corner.

But I can see what you're saying about the need to turn off the mechanic and turn on the driver when you go on track.

Liked
    464 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    From your in-car video that I've seen, I thought the RX-7's ass steps out a little too far in every corner.
    Hey man! I was having issuses. Anyways, I never said I was a very good driver. I'm just faster the you

Liked
    2243 times

I'm just faster the you

That isn't saying much.

Liked
    464 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    That isn't saying much.
    Well it would help if you got your car going again. Hell I've seem you ride your bike. Wanna race around BW. Come on, just 5 laps. I still think I can take you!

Liked
    2243 times

Oh it's on, Gian. It's on.

+ Reply to Thread