+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Rip s2000 : (

Liked
    11 times

Default Rip s2000 : (

So as some of you witnessed last Saturday at Buttonwillow, I totaled my s2000 in red group during the first session. I was going through the esses when I hit a patch of oil laid down by another car in front of me. There was no yellow flag and I was not aware of anyway issue until I lost all traction while going in a straight line. I managed to keep the car mostly straight until it veered off into the dirt and then into the concrete retaining way. See the video from the car directly behind me below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAoJ...ature=youtu.be

Luckily, I got away with only a concussion as my sparco seat, 6 pt harnesses, lack of airbag, roll bar, and Hans device all did their job. The thing I am mostly mad about is that I finally had my new suspension setup dialed in and the car felt fantastic for the last 5 laps that I got to enjoy it. Big thanks to everyone that that voiced their concerns afterwards and gave me the kind words. And to the guy that dropped oil all over the track and didn't even come over to see if I was okay or apologize, f*ck you.

Liked
    32 times

wow.. you never really want to test if your safety equipment works the hard way but im glad everything worked as its suppose to and that you're okay.

Liked
    546 times

That definitely sucks, but it's awesome that you are alright.

Steve

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    That definitely sucks, but it's awesome that you are alright.

Steve
    +1. Sorry about your car.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    366 times

You gonna get another S2000?
    Do you understand?

Liked
    1477 times

Glad you are OK. That's really a shame about your S2K. I'd hate to see that happen to mine. Will you be able to salvage the suspension, engine, geabox, etc.? Hardtop and wing OK? If so, maybe you can find a chassis to put them in. Try talking to Tony Fuchs about it.

Do you know what car/driver dropped the oil? Anybody we know?
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    641 times

Glad you are Ok.
    I heard that was a GT-R with a built motor that spilled the oil.

Liked
    366 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    Glad you are Ok.
    I heard that was a GT-R with a built motor that spilled the oil.
    First they drive themselves now they wreck others peoples cars too? Where will the madness end!???!
    Do you understand?

Liked
    2282 times

sorry to hear that.....
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    72 times

How'd you like those tires?

Liked
    1486 times

So sorry to hear. I sympathize with your pain. I have been on the receiving end of that a couple of times. It is lame but FU to the guy who dropped the oil is really uncalled for. We all take the risk of damage and death when we go on to the track. That's life. Accidents are unavoidable and no one plans to oil a track or be caught in an impact zone or loose parts off a race car at speed. We need to maintain control of our cars at all times regardless of conditions or pay the consequences. Sometimes you are the bug and sometimes you are the windshield. Thankfully, you were not badly hurt.

Liked
    35 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    It is lame but FU to the guy who dropped the oil is really uncalled for. We all take the risk of damage and death when we go on to the track. That's life. Accidents are unavoidable and no one plans to oil a track or be caught in an impact zone or loose parts off a race car at speed. We need to maintain control of our cars at all times regardless of conditions or pay the consequences. Sometimes you are the bug and sometimes you are the windshield. Thankfully, you were not badly hurt.
    +1

Glad to hear you're ok; it sucks playing crash test dummy. Rest in pieces S2K...

Liked
    375 times

That sucks.

Glad you're not hurt. That's really the only irreversible part of driving these cars. If the driver's in one piece, he can build a new version of the car. It's just a matter of time and committment.

I've been there. Got the t-shirt. Snapped off the steering wheel. Lost the windshield.

Had to find a way to get the car home from Laguna Seca.

Last time I checked, they had moved the wall farther away the track. But the big black mark I left was still there.

Liked
    434 times

Jack, what, where, how did you hit the wall at Laguna?
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    11 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    So sorry to hear. I sympathize with your pain. I have been on the receiving end of that a couple of times. It is lame but FU to the guy who dropped the oil is really uncalled for. We all take the risk of damage and death when we go on to the track. That's life. Accidents are unavoidable and no one plans to oil a track or be caught in an impact zone or loose parts off a race car at speed. We need to maintain control of our cars at all times regardless of conditions or pay the consequences. Sometimes you are the bug and sometimes you are the windshield. Thankfully, you were not badly hurt.
    I am fully aware of the risk of the activity I was partaking in. I said what I said because the driver of the car that dropped oil on the track didn't even come to see if I was ok or apologize for causing my potentially fatal collision with a wall.

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by madant15 View Post
    my potentially fatal collision with a wall.
    better safety equipment for the next one perhaps.

Liked
    11 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    That sucks.

Glad you're not hurt. That's really the only irreversible part of driving these cars. If the driver's in one piece, he can build a new version of the car. It's just a matter of time and committment.

I've been there. Got the t-shirt. Snapped off the steering wheel. Lost the windshield.

Had to find a way to get the car home from Laguna Seca.

Last time I checked, they had moved the wall farther away the track. But the big black mark I left was still there.

Seeing the success of your second build has made me want to build another one, this timing taking all that I have learned along the way and making it even better than it was before. However, it will be a few years before I will have the time and the workspace to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    better safety equipment for the next one perhaps.
    My safety equipment worked just fine. A serious accident can be fatal no matter what equipment you are using, it all comes down to impulse momentum and force distribution.

Working
    Liked
    29 times

Sorry about your car. Glad you're OK.

Liked
    94 times

Sorry about your car. I have seen more cars totaled hitting that wall than anywhere else at BRP. It seems so far away when you are going through the esses, but it will bite.

Liked
    375 times

Quote Originally Posted by jimt View Post
    Jack, what, where, how did you hit the wall at Laguna?
    Way back in 2004. The car used to be skinnier.

After moving the drivetrain over to a new tub, it got wider (and its suspension got better).

In 2005, I also kissed the wall at Sears Point.

It happens.

The odd thing is, I had my first kid in 2008 and I haven't even spun the car since then. Either some kind of survival instinct has kicked in, or I just got better (or luckier).

madant15, I used some of the time that my car was down and waiting for an engine to put together the garage. One project at a time...
    Last edited by Jack Olsen; 10-23-2013 at 07:43 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast