Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Force McCocken

Thread: Return of the S2000

Liked
    887 times

Liked
    2364 times

From the story:
    "The biggest obstacle in the way of the S2000 replacement is the absence of a suitable platform. Honda is committing to a new global architecture for front-wheel-drive cars, including the next generation of Civic, which is due on sale in the UK in 2017, but its opportunities to spread the costs of a rear-wheel drive chassis are more limited."

Another obstacle is how staggeringly slow two seaters are selling these days. It ain't 1991 anymore.

Liked
    765 times

One of the other articles I saw on the new S2K said it would be a $50k, 300+ hp, automatic only car. I like the info in the link above better although I hope it doesn't completely kill what relatively few sales the Miata currently gets.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1495 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    One of the other articles I saw on the new S2K said it would be a $50k, 300+ hp, automatic only car. I like the info in the link above better although I hope it doesn't completely kill what relatively few sales the Miata currently gets.
    mazda should be safe if the s2k is $20k more expensive. "should"

Liked
    1495 times

A little troubling if honda would have a track version with a turbo paired with the hard suspension. Hopefully all the cooling will be up to our current s2000 standards.
    Last edited by robburgoon; 02-01-2017 at 04:25 PM.

Liked
    813 times

"Honda has been working on a number of sports car projects as it looks to rebuild its reputation as a manufacturer of enthusiastsí models as well as more mainstream products and capitalise on its struggling F1 programme with McLaren."

The new Civic is awful to look at. If they want to get enthusiasts back, perhaps pause to consider what gave them that reputation. Too many manufacturers are looking to grab Millennial dollars and market share, but completely missing the mark, IMO. The branding inconsistencies in the US market hurt them and I'm not convinced they have repaired that schism. I think Honda has tremendous engineering and manufacturing capabilities, but not the coherent direction to offer unique "sporting" models. This supposed rebirth of the s2000 in the same formula and pricing model as the last seems like the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Last edited by Force McCocken; 02-02-2017 at 06:48 AM.
    bawareca likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

JJ1
    Liked
    188 times

They can keep a 185hp 1.5L s2k. But the "baby NSX" sounds appealing if its light, not hybrid and reasonably priced. Also a 300hp type R s2k would be interesting.

+ Reply to Thread