+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Return of the Rotary

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Does anybody know if there are any RX-8 to Mazda piston engine conversions out there?

Believe it or not, a few years back, Tom Dragoun wanted me to convert my 1994 Miata PTE/ITA car to a rotary. I don't think he was kidding, but I guess that's possible . . .
    My thoughts and again I'm not an expert but the RX-8 and NC share lots of parts. A 2.5 into an NC isn't very difficult so my hope is that it won't be terribly difficult for an RX-8. I'm not expecting plug-n-play by any means but hopefully not crazy difficult. Add a blower and it should be plenty of fun for the street.

Of course Tom wanted you to swap in a rotary. That's what he knows.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2243 times

The winning formula is two doors, three rotors, four seats, a bit like a 911. If it's as fast as a three-rotor car can be, fuel consumption will not be a barrier. No one would care if it's world-class fast. Just think of the noise.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Just think of the noise.
    brap, brap, brap, brap, brap, brap, brap, brap . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2243 times

I meant at WOT.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1883 times

One of the sexiest engine sounds I've ever heard was at the 2004 JGTC race at Cal speedway.
    It was the RE Amemiya RX-7 that ran in the GT300 class.
    I believe the specs at the time were peripheral ported turbo 20B and the sound did things that my wife should not know about.

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    It was the RE Amemiya RX-7 that ran in the GT300 class.
    I believe the specs at the time were peripheral ported turbo 20B and the sound did things that my wife should not know about.
    It's a peripheral port NA 20B with a big restrictor on the intake to get it down to the class limit for HP. Pretty much the same setup as the RX8's that ran in GrandAm, other than the restrictor (the GA cars had an RPM limit instead). I think uncorked the 20B PP will make 400+rwhp (I am going to find out soon).

Engine bay pic:

Red_5 and suki101 like this.

Liked
    1477 times

One of the sexiest engine sounds I've ever heard was at the 2004 JGTC race at Cal speedway.
    I was at that event! It was combined with a SpeedVentures track day. I think I had my Evo VIII RS at the time.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I don't know about your Subaru, but RX8s get terrible mileage that is normally reserved For V8 trucks and such, to the tune of 13-15 MPG.

Honestly, I don't know why Mazda even bothers with it other than trying to please the fanbois.
    The sales of the RX8 were dismal, IIRC they sold 9 of them in the US in the last year of the run.
    The RX8 was a good car despite the gutless engine that was put in it because it had good chassis, steering and brakes... If Mazda had any brains they would have stuffed the 2.3L DISI from the MS3 and had a brilliant car with far better sales.
    I've put more than a few miles on a stock 2012 WRX, and I can't manage to get 20 MPG. Ever. 13-15 might be a bit low, but I'd say my driving in that car gets closer to 17 MPG.

My driving style has a lot to do with this, but it's a new and pretty slow car with a four cylinder, so I expected more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2