View Poll Results: what's the failure rate of a none-factory rebuilt engine within a year ?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0% - every aftermarket rebuilt is perfect

4 8.89%
  • 1-49% - better than a coin toss

10 22.22%
  • 50% - a coin toss

9 20.00%
  • 51-99% - worse than a coin toss

14 31.11%
  • 100% - every rebuilt engine has gone kaboom

8 17.78%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rebuilt engine failure rate v.2 ?

Liked
    2282 times

Default Rebuilt engine failure rate v.2 ?

Sheriff said last poll is misleading. he is the law here. so here is version 2.

Not talking about factory rebuilt, only aftermarket rebuilt

Everywhere I hear, aftermarket rebuilt engines are blowing up left and right. wondering what's your experience with them ? either from you, or your buddies.

We are talking bottom end here, not just a head refresh.

It seems EVERY S2000 rebuilt engine I've known has gone bye bye.

Later I will start a poll on transmission. personal experience on 3 rebuilt Miata transmission is 100% failure rate. All built by "pro" shop.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    0 times

Again, I'd say it really depends on the builder and tuner. Most do die prematurely, but I'd say it's due to a half-assed build and a crappy tune, not the fact that the motor is rebuilt. Someone else made a good point on the other thread: having old accessories (old injectors, oil pump, etc.) on a freshly rebuilt motor doesn't help it out either.
    Hella Functional

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac88 View Post
    Again, I'd say it really depends on the builder and tuner. Most do die prematurely, but I'd say it's due to a half-assed build and a crappy tune, not the fact that the motor is rebuilt. Someone else made a good point on the other thread: having old accessories (old injectors, oil pump, etc.) on a freshly rebuilt motor doesn't help it out either.
    while that may be true. Everyone I know had good experience with factory rebuilt. I know of a few BMW and Mazda rebuilt. They all worked as good as new.

I should start a transmission rebuilt thread soon. there is no "tune" issue.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2282 times

14 in the poll so far, don't look too good for rebuilds.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    22 times

I am shopping for a Vette Motor right now, GM is back ordered so I am shopping builders.

Does anybody know a good ls2 builder in So Cal?

That can do one in like 1-2 weeks.
    Corvette Specialty C6
    Life is like a race, the best times win!

Liked
    1 times

When you say "aftermarket re-built" do you mean a modified engine built to the hilt or an independent shop rebuilding your motor close to stock specs???

Edit: NM, I read the older thread and you stated shop/tuner/backyard rebuild.

I think any "aftermarket" re-built is going to depend on how meticulous the bulider is.

When I re-built my project car's engine, I took the time measuring, replacing parts, re-assembling if something felt wrong, replace a part if I felt it was damaged in some way during assembly, and double checking any loose bolts etc. As much it was painful to do, I'm pleased how long my rebuilt engine has lasted with the riggers of HPDE days and a nice healthy bump in output.

Of course, each HPDE day I get chills how long my rebuilt will last. In addition, this is the first rebuilt engine I ever put to the test on track days. My other rebuilts were commuter cars and who knows what the new owners have done to them.
    Last edited by FLZ_Boy; 05-06-2010 at 07:14 PM.
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE 2.7L 6AT (w/Convience Package + Preferred Package)
    2000 Ford Fucus ZX3 5MT (I want my MPG! American Style.)
    1994 Toyota Supra 5MT (SZ-R Project Status: Retired, 2012 Speed Ventures Time Trial CC9 Champion)

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by FLZ_Boy View Post
    When you say "aftermarket re-built" do you mean a modified engine built to the hilt or an independent shop rebuilding your motor close to stock specs???
    I meant both. obviously, modified engine built to the hilt is going to fail a lot more than stock rebuilt (let's say new rings only). but idea is the same.

what engine is that you rebuilt that's so reliable ? if it were S2000 engine, I would be very impressed. if it were an old V8, not so much.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I meant both. obviously, modified engine built to the hilt is going to fail a lot more than stock rebuilt (let's say new rings only). but idea is the same.

what engine is that you rebuilt that's so reliable ? if it were S2000 engine, I would be very impressed. if it were an old V8, not so much.
    I rebuilt the older V8 273 and an old ford v8 305, not the most advance things in the world, but I can't complain about learning from them. The one I rebuilt for the track is a 2JZ-GE (non-turbo) for the Toyota Supra. It's nowhere near the headwork of a S2000 engine, but you do have to watch out for the rod bearings and main cap bearings as they are all different in sizes.

In some ways the GE engine is like the NA Miata's bottom end, built for boost, but used for NA purposes. So far I clocked in 6,000 miles + 8 HPDE days and the engine output is still a good 8 - 10 RWHP better than stock.
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE 2.7L 6AT (w/Convience Package + Preferred Package)
    2000 Ford Fucus ZX3 5MT (I want my MPG! American Style.)
    1994 Toyota Supra 5MT (SZ-R Project Status: Retired, 2012 Speed Ventures Time Trial CC9 Champion)

Liked
    22 times

I will let you know in a few weeks how it goes. I will give it a good hard test.
    Corvette Specialty C6
    Life is like a race, the best times win!

Liked
    103 times

my motor was built for Forced induction 4 years ago by FSwerks in anaheim, just a few months ago i had them take the motor apart and most everything was fine, just replaced rod bearings, rings were fine, but replaced them anyway.

Liked
    2282 times

Wow. Im surprised at the results. 21 votes so far. Most negative.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1477 times

Rebuilt motors always blow up. They suck. And that's before I bought an S2K.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2398 times

This is not rocket science.

The factory supplies an engine. If it's a good design, it lasts.

Incompetent rebuilder takes a stab at it. It blows up.

Skilled rebuilder does their thing. It not only last as long as a stocker, it makes more power.

For every skilled race engine builder that can do it better than OEM, there are maybe 5 more that can match OEM and maybe 500 that are incompetent.

If you know nothing about what goes into a good build, you're rolling the dice. Shopping solely on price is a bad place to start for clearly, all rebuilds are not the same.

The Miata engine is fairly pedestrian in material and specification. Easy and cheap to do yet still so many shops do a poor job of it. The S2000 motor OTOH, is basically a factory built blueprinted race engine, far closer tolerances, parts matching and precision required during assembly. Other than Spoon Japan, I have yet to hear of a rebuilt S2000 motor that is good for much more than about 2 hours at the track. I am sure they are out there because there are fast reliable T3 cars.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

+ Reply to Thread