+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Reader's Poll: Styling of 350Z v 370Z

Kam
    Liked
    87 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ^^^ As you acknowledge, this thread is about exterior design. Please defend the 370Z headlights and tail-lights, if you can . . .
    Don't need to, as the 370z is a better car in every aspect, other than maybe gas mileage and current cost
    4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Liked
    103 times

the fuel economy on my 370 is actually pretty good, 27-30mpg on the highway cruising at like 70-75. do 80 its about 25-27mpg

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    just received some my new wheels for my 370, once i get the tires in ill take a pic, maybe some of you guys will like the look of the car better with different wheels
    How will that fix the worst design pratfalls, which are the headlights, tail lights, and grille?
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

4 doors 2 seats
    Liked
    149 times

How will that fix the worst design pratfalls, which are the headlights, tail lights, and grille?
    The same way a boob job fixes mediocre women.
    Richard EVO and bellwilliam like this.

Liked
    103 times

never mind

4 doors 2 seats
    Liked
    149 times

what wheels did you get? I saw a white one one silver ce28's a few months back and thought it looked pretty good.

Liked
    464 times

I worked for Nissan for 25 years and have seen a lot. Nissan started off strong in the early 70s. Then put out some different (butt ugly) styles (I think just to see how many people would by them). Then they would redeem them self’s here and there. But the one thing you can say is, they were always trying something new and different. And even changed the way, just about all cars looked at one time.

I have driven a few 350s. Stock I liked the way they handled. Was asked to drive a full race 350 with Moton's, and was staying on the tail of a WC GT spec Porsche with a world class driver, till we hit the straights. Still reeling him in on the tight sections of SOW. So I was impressed with the handling of the car.
    I've never had one nor built one so don't know of everything you have to over come to make it handle.

As far as the Puke....err I mean Juke... well nuf said...lol
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    103 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
    what wheels did you get? I saw a white one one silver ce28's a few months back and thought it looked pretty good.
    Enkei PF01s, there going to be my track wheels, 18x9.5 front 18x10.5 rear. gunna run 265-275 up front and 285-295 in back. Gunna still DD on my OEM rays

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ Nice wheels. Like putting lipstick on a pig.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

4 doors 2 seats
    Liked
    149 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    Enkei PF01s, there going to be my track wheels, 18x9.5 front 18x10.5 rear. gunna run 265-275 up front and 285-295 in back. Gunna still DD on my OEM rays
    I like those wheels atleast, especially the price. Definitely post up some pics once they are on the car.

Liked
    12 times

I think the 350 just looks cleaner than the 370, which seems to be over-styled a bit. I know the 370 is the better track car.

Speaking of Z track cars, has anyone seen any quick 300ZX twin turbo models at the track? Just wondering because I drove a '91 300ZX during my college years. Sold it to get my s2k, but I always liked the 300ZX.
    AP1 S2000 w/KW V3s on 255 RS3s (square setup)

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1885 times

Quote Originally Posted by azngotmilk View Post
    i never really like 350Z.. the 370z in the other hand doesn't look too bad. i like them alot better if theres any sort of wing/trunk lip or something

Attachment 4681
    Since this is about the design of the cars, here's my take on why the 370Z is the *much* better looking car -

To start with, the shorter overhangs on the 370 make it look much lighter on its feet.

The 3/4 view here highlights the slab side of the 350Z vs. the much more refined belt line of the 370 that starts nice and crisp at the front and dissolves as you get to the rear fender.
    Same goes to the side skirts, where the 350 has no shape or interesting development and the 370 is replacing the boredom with a nicely cut 3D shape that once again softens as you get to the rear, a styling feature with a wink towards old world sports cars where swooping lines from the front are replaced with a new curve at the rear arches.
    The cut of the rear bumper is integrated into the shape of the tail light in the 370, the cut in the 350 is a total afterthought.
    And speaking of tail lights, while I'm not a huge fan of the 370 pieces (they look okay..), the split unit of the 350 is just old. It looked old when it was new. Meh.

The 1/4 view shows the complete lack of character of the 350 vs the 370 - the plain grille opening has nothing going for it, which is why Nissan fixed the looks of the Nismo edition with a curve at the bottom and gave it some teeth.
    The 370 is a total win here with a meaner look and personality.
    I'm a tiny fan of the headlights (never liked the "bug from Mars" look), to me they look like the designers tried too hard (the 350 look like they didn't try hard enough).
    In the name of "improved aero" the Nismo 370 actually took a step backwards with the simple rectangular grille.. at least they did something interesting with the way that the corners of the bumper have a sharp cut off that join the front fenders.

And if the opinions are divided about the exterior, there's just no comparison with the interior design between the two.
    While the 350 is marginally better than my ol' Toyota beater truck, the 370 has a really nice cabin which is fun to be in, full of nice materials and lightyears ahead in the design.

Moti

BTW, I have driven both on track in their stock form, both were the sport package / track edition, the 370 is a much nicer car to drive too.

Liked
    103 times

^^^ Nice wheels. Like putting lipstick on a pig.
    thanks

I like those wheels atleast, especially the price. Definitely post up some pics once they are on the car.
    tires should arrive soon, ill post soon

Liked
    366 times

Quote Originally Posted by BigHapa View Post
    I think the 350 just looks cleaner than the 370, which seems to be over-styled a bit. I know the 370 is the better track car.

Speaking of Z track cars, has anyone seen any quick 300ZX twin turbo models at the track? Just wondering because I drove a '91 300ZX during my college years. Sold it to get my s2k, but I always liked the 300ZX.

I absolutely love the 300zx. Great GT car, I just don't think I've seen one competitive on this scene personally.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    I absolutely love the 300zx. Great GT car, I just don't think I've seen one competitive on this scene personally.
    Back when I first bought and started modding the 350Z, I belonged to a local Nissan Z club. One of the members had a 300ZX Turbo that he had built up to about 550 hp. That thing was amazing.

Liked
    366 times

Back when I first bought and started modding the 350Z, I belonged to a local Nissan Z club. One of the members had a 300ZX Turbo that he had built up to about 550 hp. That thing was amazing.
    Its surprisingly very easy to reach that power too. lol.
    Do you understand?

4 doors 2 seats
    Liked
    149 times

Talking

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I have heard from numerous mechanics the 300zx in particular the twin turbo variants are nightmare to maintain and work on. Any truth to that?

Liked
    366 times

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I have heard from numerous mechanics the 300zx in particular the twin turbo variants are nightmare to maintain and work on. Any truth to that?
    Yep. Worst car ever to work on, IMO.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    1477 times

NSX probably worse, but I pay someone else to do it.

Kam
    Liked
    87 times

NSX probably worse, but I pay someone else to do it.
    Not. Even. Close. The NSX is rough, but hardly as bad as the 300zx.
    300ZX is absolutely horrid to work on. The only other car that's more of a nightmare is maybe a 3000GT VR4.
    You can't run larger turbo housings in a Z32 cause it'll hit the strut towers. The vacuum hoses are a nightmare. Typical nissan brittle electrical clips. Injector connectors that don't always stay connected. Let's not forget HICAS.

I love them though. Would never own one or work on one.

in terms of Zs in the past 20+ years, from best to worst:
    1. 370z
    2. 300zx
    3. 350z
    4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast