+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Reader's Poll: Styling of 350Z v 370Z

Liked
    855 times

Default Reader's Poll: Styling of 350Z v 370Z

I noticed in a "for sale" thead that Richard feels that the 350Z is a better looking car than the "awkward" 370Z. After a initial infatuation with the 370Z, I now agree. Funny how some cars grow on you, and others lose their charm.

It might be interesting to have a trackHQ poll on this.

Liked
    103 times

different strokes for different folks, i feel the 370 is light years ahead of the 350. no offence to the look of a 350, i think they still look cool, but the 370 in my opinion is a look i love. part of why i bought one

Liked
    366 times

370 Hands down.

Wouldn't expect the opinion of an old Scrooge on modern day cars to account for much, at least not enough to make a thread about.

Just kidding, Richard.
    hakeem and J. Tyler like this.
    Do you understand?

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

I think the 350z is the least bad looking of the two. I even liked it at one point. Ultimately, both look like wheel barrows turned upside down and given fender bulges. The 370z shares the basic shape of the 350z, but it has added swoops and woops and bulges and it looks a bit odd and bloated because of it. It also has those horrid Nissan tail lights.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    32 times

i never really like 350Z.. the 370z in the other hand doesn't look too bad. i like them alot better if theres any sort of wing/trunk lip or something

11-rearviewcomparo.jpg

Liked
    641 times

When the 350 came out first I was leaving in Europe and had a chance to see it only on the screen and magazines.If you open a C&D from these years that is one of the few sharp looking cars on the domestic/japanese scene.I liked it even when I saw it in person,but it is one of those designs that dont fare very well.Less than 10 years after it came out it looks really outdated,but I still consider it successful,as Infinity G350.370Z looks interesting,but is just inflated,overstated and exaggerated 350.I feel absolutely the same when I see G370.They are "screaming" too much and I dont think that design will fare really well.
    Overall,Nissan has a huge problem with the car design,90% of their new models could make it to the our "Ugliest current design" thread.

Liked
    1477 times

I think they started with the good-looking 350Z and intentionally tried to make it ugly with the 370Z. Those wack-ball headlights and tail lights are really over the top, and the big mouth grille sucks too. All Nissans are ugly since Frenchman Carlos Gsohn took over the company. The were just warming up with the 370Z, their masterpiece is the Juke. Gsohn is to Nissan what Chris Bangle was to BMW. Thank god he's gone.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1477 times

Loose Caboose -

Learn how to post a poll here.
    robburgoon likes this.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    103 times

to me, the 350 looks bland, and the shape of the cabin compared to the hood/truck looks like a bubble. The 370 shape is reminiscent of the original S30 Z shape

1.jpg

427041_10150578119947085_1029822515_n.jpg

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I think they started with the good-looking 350Z and intentionally tried to make it ugly with the 370Z. ....... Gsohn is to Nissan what Chris Bangle was to BMW. Thank god he's gone.
    Yeah,but every single auto manufacturer has some kind of "Bangle Butt" motive since 2002.More than 2 2012 models are copy of a E60 front end(Buick and Kia to begin with).

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Chris@Xtremespeed's Avatar
    Liked
    48 times

I was all for the 370 when it first came out. But all the "problems" that have been discovered with it's design has taken away from it's initial charm for me. By problems I mean the fact that you always need to have a full tank of gas or you have fuel starvation with very low lateral g-force. The oil heating problem, the traction control can't be completely disabled and just the fact it's an over complicated car. And it turns out it's not that much faster around a track then I was hoping for either. Also, now that I see the side by side photos, I don't really think it's that much better looking then a 350. I got to say, I love the Nismo version. I know it's over the top, but man it looks good in all black.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    Yeah,but every single auto manufacturer has some kind of "Bangle Butt" motive since 2002.More than 2 2012 models are copy of a E60 front end(Buick and Kia to begin with).
    That doesn't make it good. It's just "me too" car design from the idiots who run the automobile industry now. It used to be that overall, BMWs were much better looking than Mercedes. As soon as Bangle worked his "magic" the exact opposite is true. The new 5-series is certainly an exterior design improvement of the horrible big-butt cat-eyed Bangle version, but it still suffers from Bangle trickle-down.

Liked
    103 times

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Xtremespeed View Post
    I was all for the 370 when it first came out. But all the "problems" that have been discovered with it's design has taken away from it's initial charm for me. By problems I mean the fact that you always need to have a full tank of gas or you have fuel starvation with very low lateral g-force. The oil heating problem, the traction control can't be completely disabled and just the fact it's an over complicated car. And it turns out it's not that much faster around a track then I was hoping for either. Also, now that I see the side by side photos, I don't really think it's that much better looking then a 350. I got to say, I love the Nismo version. I know it's over the top, but man it looks good in all black.
    the tread was just about styling, but i knew the mechanical "issues" were going to come up. The fuel starve thing, ok its kinda sucks you gotta haul a full tank of fuel around track, but the Lotus elise/exige guys have had to deal with the same issues for years, and im sure their are other track oriented cars that do the same. Ok now the oil heat problem, 09-11 370s didnt have any kind of oil cooling, 2012 got a oil to water cooling sandwich adapter like S2k and some 350s have, and my friend martin would get 5-6 laps before it would get to about 260 oil temp. S2ks and 350z see the same temps, but dont have actually oil temp gauges, so i guess its a ignorance is bliss thing. if you take the oil to water cooler off a s2k and a 350z, then put a oil temp gauge on them, i wonder how many laps they would get. Now the traction control, i dont know what your taking about, when i turn it off i can drift all over the track if i want to, the only time tranction control kicks in when the VDC is off is when you get excessive inside wheel spin so the car actually modulates the INSIDE rear wheels brake to help get the diff to work. SO lets say you get a better clutch type diff that wont open up, then this will never happen, but even so my Stock VLSD barely opens up on me. And not tht much faster on track? well what times does your 350 run at butonwillow? im pretty sure our car's have similar mods and your no slouch behind the wheel chris. in the end the 370 has a much better chassis and suspension geometry, THATS the main reason i bought it, it handles excpetional
    Last edited by GreyFocus; 06-10-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ As you acknowledge, this thread is about exterior design. Please defend the 370Z headlights and tail-lights, if you can . . .

Liked
    48 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    the tread was just about styling, but i knew the mechanical "issues" were going to come up. The fuel starve thing, ok its kinda sucks you gotta haul a full tank of fuel around track, but the Lotus elise/exige guys have had to deal with the same issues for years, and im sure their are other track oriented cars that do the same. Ok now the oil heat problem, 09-11 370s didnt have any kind of oil cooling, 2012 got a oil to water cooling sandwich adapter like S2k and some 350s have, and my friend martin would get 5-6 laps before it would get to about 260 oil temp. S2ks and 350z see the same temps, but dont have actually oil temp gauges, so i guess its a ignorance is bliss thing. if you take the oil to water cooler off a s2k and a 350z, then put a oil temp gauge on them, i wonder how many laps they would get. Now the traction control, i dont know what your taking about, when i turn it off i can drift all over the track if i want to, the only time tranction control kicks in when the VDC is off is when you get excessive inside wheel spin so the car actually modulates the INSIDE rear wheels brake to help get the diff to work. SO lets say you get a better clutch type diff that wont open up, then this will never happen, but even so my Stock VLSD barely opens up on me. And not tht much faster on track? well what times does your 350 run at butonwillow? im pretty sure our car's have similar mods and your no slouch behind the wheel chris. in the end the 370 has a much better chassis and suspension geometry, THATS the main reason i bought it, it handles excpetional
    Yeah, let's also talk about everything else as well as design. After all, this is TrackHQ, I think performance adds to the over styling of a car as well. Some cars that I like are butt-ugly but perform so well, I'd learn to love em, LOL.

Anyway, back to the 370.....I will admit that the car is designed to out perform the 350. However....it doesn't "out perform" the 350 enough. At least not to me.
    As for all the other points you mentioned. Here we go. The lotus guys have had the problem since day one. It's a design problem that needs to be attended to, if not already. For the 350 vs. 370. It's a design fault that didn't exist in the 350, but it's there in the 370. Bad engineering. Same thing with oil temps. We're talking about an upgraded 370 form the 350. These issues were not present in the 350, so that bothers me and is a reason I'm not into the 370.

Traction control/VDC, I'm not sure what it is on the 370, but I can't drift the car. It won't let me. If it can be disabled, then I'll forgo that, but for me that's a deal breaker right out the box. The 350 could be ordered with out any traction control and doesn't go into an engine limp mode for when the oil gets 2 degrees about normal.

So, is the 370 overall a better car then the 350. I would say yes it is. It's suspension is better, it's overall a lighter car, and it is faster. But it comes with more headaches and to me, it's not better or faster enough. So that makes me like the styling less then if it where more of a car with less of the headache. I'll still take that Nismo!

Liked
    1477 times

Bottom line. Both cars suck. 350Z required major and expensive mods to be reasonably fast on track. 370Z has those same faults, plus ugly styling and the mechanical faults mentioned above. But at least Nissan still makes the 370Z. Wish Honda still offered the S2000 and NSX.

Liked
    103 times

Bottom line. Both cars suck. 350Z required major and expensive mods to be reasonably fast on track. 370Z has those same faults, plus ugly styling and the mechanical faults mentioned above. But at least Nissan still makes the 370Z. Wish Honda still offered the S2000 and NSX.
    370 does not suck, just cause its not your preference doesnt mean it sucks. No car is perfect. If u want u can drive it some time for a session. God forbid u might have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Xtremespeed View Post
    Yeah, let's also talk about everything else as well as design. After all, this is TrackHQ, I think performance adds to the over styling of a car as well. Some cars that I like are butt-ugly but perform so well, I'd learn to love em, LOL.

Anyway, back to the 370.....I will admit that the car is designed to out perform the 350. However....it doesn't "out perform" the 350 enough. At least not to me.
    As for all the other points you mentioned. Here we go. The lotus guys have had the problem since day one. It's a design problem that needs to be attended to, if not already. For the 350 vs. 370. It's a design fault that didn't exist in the 350, but it's there in the 370. Bad engineering. Same thing with oil temps. We're talking about an upgraded 370 form the 350. These issues were not present in the 350, so that bothers me and is a reason I'm not into the 370.

Traction control/VDC, I'm not sure what it is on the 370, but I can't drift the car. It won't let me. If it can be disabled, then I'll forgo that, but for me that's a deal breaker right out the box. The 350 could be ordered with out any traction control and doesn't go into an engine limp mode for when the oil gets 2 degrees about normal.

So, is the 370 overall a better car then the 350. I would say yes it is. It's suspension is better, it's overall a lighter car, and it is faster. But it comes with more headaches and to me, it's not better or faster enough. So that makes me like the styling less then if it where more of a car with less of the headache. I'll still take that Nismo!

Next event ride with me and we'll drift the car lol.

Liked
    103 times

^^^ As you acknowledge, this thread is about exterior design. Please defend the 370Z headlights and tail-lights, if you can . . .
    you dont like them, i do lol

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    370 does not suck, just cause its not your preference doesnt mean it sucks. No car is perfect. If u want u can drive it some time for a session. God forbid u might have fun.
    OK, my Mom's main squeeze (my Mom is 92-years-old and still kicking), I'll take you up on the offer of running your 370Z on track. Just go into this knowing that I totalled my 350Z in the Sunset Turn at Buttonwillow in 2004. Deal?
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 06-10-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Liked
    48 times

OK, my Mom's main squeeze (my Mom is 92-years-old and still kicking), I'll take you up on the offer of running your 370Z on track. Just go into this knowing that I totalled my 350Z in the Sunset Turn at Buttonwillow in 2004. Deal?
    How did you old Z handle that impact? Where you happen with the protection and safety of the car in an impact, or do you think it was sub par?

I totaled 2 S2000's and couldn't be happier with it's impact safety.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast