• 1 Post By markn
  • 1 Post By Jack Olsen
  • 2 Post By robburgoon

Thread: Race Optimal

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    345 times

Default Race Optimal

Saw this on mazdaracers.com. A pretty interesting application with an impressive selection of tracks.

Race Optimal

Greeting everyone,

My name is Ricky V and I run a site called Race Optimal. Basically, I developed a program to analyze 2D data (that means no camber or elevation considerations) and calculate the "optimal" line around a racetrack. All tracks include analysis specifically for the Mazda Miata. I also produce video simulations for the four major vehicle types, which are accessible by clicking the play button in the upper right hand corner of the map.

You may be saying "What?? No elevation data?" Well, yes. Ideally, 3D effects would be included, but when it comes to their effect on the actual line, it is often subtle enough that it's hard to tell the difference looking at an overhead map.

My goal for this project is to help experienced drivers get new ideas about what line might work the best and where, and to help inexperienced drivers understand and visualize the concept of the racing line.

I'd be honored if you'd take a look, and even more honored if the project actually helped you get more comfortable or shave time at the track.

Of course, I'm open to any feedback you might have, as well.

Cheers,

Ricky
    Original post: Introducing Race Optimal - Spec Miata (SM) - Mazda Racers
    robburgoon likes this.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    345 times

Cool to see the potential of an F1 car at Buttonwillow. 180 through Riverside. Yowsa.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports

Liked
    375 times

I'd seen that before. I think I even exchanged some emails with the guy.

There's a lot that is useful and cool in what he's done. But I also think there's a little bit of engineer's myopia in the project. Camber and elevation are significant factors in how you navigate corners. And I think he's profiling the vehicles based on some pretty basic criteria -- skid pad and acceleration/braking numbers, but not the particulars of suspension geometry and actual vehicle dynamics.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

1:59.xxx at CVR in a spec miata? I don't know about that. What are the top runners running there?

What do you guys think about the line for SOW? Its differs wildly from what I do in some places. Makes me wonder.
    Last edited by SDSUsnowboards; 06-19-2014 at 10:25 AM.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    345 times

While certainly not perfect it is useful or at least entertaining. Fun to contrast what different cars might do on a given track. For a SM on the tracks I'm familiar with it is pretty optimistic. Not sure about other cars/tracks. I would be nice if one could overlay the different vehicles on the track to see the differences in line between a momentum car and a high hp/downforce car.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports

Liked
    33 times

I definitely feel this should be taken with a grain of salt, it claims a 1.56 for a SpecMiata around ACS and a 1.34 for WSIR?
    Last edited by Lincoln Logs; 06-19-2014 at 11:28 AM.

Liked
    345 times

The program is about 4s off for ACS and about 2s off at WS for very top SM times. But...The ACS 1.59.xx SCCA record was done in a serious draft/push with top speed on the banking well above 125 (127?). Drafting doesn't matter quite so much at WS. For comparison, a typical SM speed on the AAA T1-T2 banking is about 114-116 without a draft. This is GPS mph, not speedo. These are times for a well prepped and driven SM. Not sure how a SM maps into the 'Miata Class' in terms of prep.
    Last edited by markn; 06-19-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports

Liked
    0 times

Is it too late for me to jump in this?? What's up everybody! Glad to see my site getting discussed here.

I'm Ricky, by the way, creator of Race Optimal. Had to laugh at "Engineer's myopia"...yeah, guilty as charged. I'm interested in improving the project, however.

You know I initially didn't even plan to include simulation videos or lap times, but my brother told me the videos were so illuminating just in terms of showing G forces, trail braking, etc. that they were at least as valuable as the lines themselves. I half regret putting them out, though, as inevitably they are the largest source of controversy. I also wonder what the discussion would be like if only the line maps were shown with nothing else. The videos and lap times seem to be a distraction more than anything.

I agree that the Spec Miata times seem to be fast. I've had excellent results with some of the other vehicles..I've done some MotoGP simulations for the site mototribu.com, and they've typically been within half a second of the pole lap time. The GT3 RS times seem pretty close, also, given the times I get from GT3 RS Cup Cars, which are typically a second or two faster.

As far as the Miata goes, there may be some parameters that, with better values, would consistently yield more realistic lap times. In order to find this out, however, I need some kind individual to provide me some Spec Miata GPS data for one or two tracks. Then I can input it into my system, and see whether I'm using too much cornering force, braking, power, etc. Any volunteers?

Anyway, I appreciate ya'll taking a look at the project, and of course I hope that it gives you some ideas to try out at the track.

Liked
    1429 times

Don't mind the other guys. Track camber isn't doable. Elevation might be possible, but what you did is plenty impressive and useful on its own.
    bawareca and markn like this.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Don't mind the other guys. Track camber isn't doable. Elevation might be possible, but what you did is plenty impressive and useful on its own.
    Thanks for the feedback good buddy.

I posted about Race Optimal in a UK motorcycle forum...now, I'm a motorcycle guy myself, with over 55,000 miles on my 2002 FZ1, and I'll be the first to tell you that the motorcycle crowd can be some ball busters. A few of them were taking me to task for what they viewed as unrealistic recommendations as a result of the algorithm. At the end of the day, I had to admit that there was a risk that some riders or drivers may take the lines/simulations as gospel and end up trying something incorrect or dangerous or beyond their skill level, etc. This resulted in my adding a disclaimer beneath the maps, and creating a comments feature for the tracks, so that the optimization output can be tempered by people with real experience on the circuits.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Mission accomplished. I'm re-thinking lines again!
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    115 times

129157477066831452.gif

Fantastic. Keep up the good work. I imagine it will become more and more useful/realistic with each iteration.

+ Reply to Thread