• 1 Post By RacerJason99
  • 1 Post By dizzy8085
  • 5 Post By markn

Thread: Race Dash Displays

Kam
    Liked
    90 times

Default Race Dash Displays

I'm looking at a race display to help datalog, as well as provide better visibility to the various sensors I have.

I started doing some basic research and found race displays haven't really caught onto the touchscreen premise. There seems to be quite a few race dash display options, but with really archiac designs (see: Stack).
    I didn't bother looking at phone based systems.

If you have any experience, please share.

Here's what I've found, some of it may not be 100% accurate since it's all from marketing on sites:

AiM MXL 2 (MC-247) - $1999
    - 2gb of space
    - non-touch screen, LCD
    - gauges aren't configurable, but the data they display is.
    - 8 analog inputs
    - CAN capable
    - 7.5" x 4" overall size

AiM MXG (MC-248) - $2599
    - 4Gb of space
    - 800x480px, 7" TFT non-touch screen
    - semi configurable display
    - 8 analog inputs
    - CAN capable
    - 9.3" x 5" overall size

AiM MXS (MC-246) - $2299
    - the same as above, except 5" screen

AiM MXS Strada () - $850~ (flux with GBP)
    - the same as above, except 5" screen and has street use icons (turn indicators, etc)
    - Does not do datalogging

AiM SoloDL - $699
    - 16mb of space
    - non-touch screen, LCD
    - display non configurable
    - OBD2 only
    - 3.9" x 3.1" x 1.2"

Spultronix Dash7 - $1199
    DASH7
    - Uses MicroSD cards, so supports upto a lot?
    - touch screen, 7" TFT, 800x480px
    - fully customizable
    - 4 analog inputs
    - RS232, CAN achievable thru adapters
    -

TunerView RD2 - $699
    TunerView RD 2 Release TunerView Displays
    - 4Gb SD Card
    - touch screen, 5" TFT, unknown res
    - unknown level of customization
    - 3 analog inputs
    - RS232 and CAN comms

AEM CD7 - $1300
    - No dataloigging
    - Full color 7" screen with 800x480 resolution
    - seven programmable pages
    - unknown number of additional analog inputs
    - 2 separate CAN inputs

AEM CD7L - $1700
    - 200mb capacity for datalogging
    - Full color 7" screen with 800x480 resolution
    - seven programmable pages
    - unknown number of additional analog inputs
    - 2 separate CAN inputs
    Last edited by Kam; 02-23-2017 at 09:41 AM.
    4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Liked
    17 times

I'm doing this search right now too and I'm leaning very heavily toward AiM MXS. It's expensive but it seems to be the most modern system/display available. The RaceCapture systems are becoming more and more popular and appear to be very good bang for the buck, but the predictive lap timing on my current AiM Solo is so good that I'm hesitant to gamble on anything non-AiM. The RaceCapture systems also use Android phones/tablets for the display, which scares me for reliability during enduros. I know lots of people run them successfully, but I like the idea of a motorsports grade dash a lot more than a phone/tablet. I don't really see any reason to want a touch screen for a race dash.

If you're debating between the MXG and MXS, print out paper versions and mock them up on your dash first. The MXG is HUGE.

Liked
    17 times

I really wish AiM made an auto version of the Mychron5 kart dash like they used to with the old Mychron dashes. The Mychron5 is really cheap and almost exactly what I want in a dash, but there's no way to connect an ECU. All I really want is an AiM SoloDL with shift lights and a bigger/nicer display.

Liked
    223 times

AIM MXS.

I've had the opportunity to race with several different generations of AIM products over many years. Thanks to AIM dealer Mark @ Iron Canyon Motorsports, I've been fortunate to try the latest gear whenever I rent his race cars.

If I were going to buy a data system today, it would be the AIM MXS. It's the right size. Highly configurable, yet intuitive. Other considerations: There are a lot of people on AIM, which makes it easier to compare data files and learn to be quicker. The AIM data analysis software is great and well supported (and this is often overlooked when comparing systems). The AIM hardware ecosystem is intuitive, reliable, and low cost. Finally, the support from AIM is excellent. They stand behind their products. Data systems lead a tough life in a race car. Over the years I've had a couple minor repair needs that were my fault, and the repairs were astonishingly cheap and quick from AIM - I never once have been left stranded with a $2000 brick. The same support is not true of other data systems.

It's worth calling Mark - he knows more about these data systems than anyone I've met. Even AIM sends people his way. Also, if you're in California consider stopping by at the race track. Iron Canyon is at most SCCA events, and there's often more than one car there that you can check out the data system first hand.

For reference, these are the systems I have a bit of seat time over the years...
    Cars: AIM MXS, AIM MXL2, AIM MXL Pista + Strada, Solo DL, Motec CDL, and a few others.
    Karting: MyChron 4, MyChron 3, MyChron Light TG

Re: Touch screens - I'm not convinced I want it (though I'll reserve judgement until I try it). I like tactile UI and feedback when I wear gloves, especially when the car is underway and I don't have to look. The bigger and punchier the button the better.
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    17 times

Quote Originally Posted by jpreston View Post
    I really wish AiM made an auto version of the Mychron5 kart dash like they used to with the old Mychron dashes. The Mychron5 is really cheap and almost exactly what I want in a dash, but there's no way to connect an ECU. All I really want is an AiM SoloDL with shift lights and a bigger/nicer display.
    I decided to pick up the phone and call AiM USA after typing this out. Looks like the dash I'm asking for is already in the pipeline and should be released in the next month or two. AiM MXm dash; supposed to be priced around $1000. I'll almost definitely be waiting for this one. Page 14 and 15 of the 2017 "Racing Guide" here:

AiM Multimedia Area

Kam
    Liked
    90 times

I agree that a physical button is the way to go, but having a touchscreen is a nice addition to the physical button and not a replacement.

I had a MyChron on my shifter and really liked it, despite it being almost impossible to read while bouncing around in a kart

I really do like the AIM MXS strada though... since I'll be using it in a street car that sees track duty. it's nice to have the turn signals and other random stuff on the display.

and looks like the difference between the MXS and the MXS Strada is the MXS has onboard datalogging and the Strada does not. Fun.

Liked
    2528 times

You got to be honest with yourself. Are you really gonna use data log ?
    If all you do is predictive (this alone will get you 75% of the pro), then Aim Solo will work (when Aim Solo gonna come out with an update, Solo was out when iPhone 3 was out ?). G2X was actually the best at predictive, unfortunately they developed a bug 3 years ago with a bad firmware. And also went out of business)

If you use data (no, Aim Solo's crappy software don't count. Few graphs does not make it data analysis). Traqmate used to be the best (for a sub $2500 system). But they've also gone out of business.

Aim MXL (and variants) are okay. It is okay at predictive (no better than $399 Aim Solo with small read out) and okay software. I think crappy software is the reason most don't bother with data analysis.

Many of you want it for gauges. Again be honest with yourself. How many times have you looked at the gauges on track (especially when you are w2w). A big warning light is the best.
    Olitho likes this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    66 times

Don't forget the Aim MXL2, MXG & MXS only come with one harness standard. Budget extra for the additional channels harness.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    66 times

I have the MXG in my NP01- It is nice and BIG. I have the Water Temp and Oil temp displayed on 1st screen (Along with Best lap and +/-). Then I have the leds on the side set for caution/warnings along with a full screen RED when something gets too hot/or pressure too low. Totally customizable. 2nd screen has Intake air temp, oil pressure, throttle %, etc)

There is also a new AEM 7" screen. I have not seen it in person, but it is also less expensive. CD-7 Digital Racing Dash Displays | AEM

Quick video of the dash at work. Nevermind me getting whacked on Friday at Spring Mountain (Test Day mind you, first session on a slick track).

https://youtu.be/ky79n_BXdGk
    Thanks,

Chad
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype #02 (Chassis #20)
    1969 911ST vintage racer
    1972 911T Numbers Matching under restoration in my garage

Liked
    34 times

Have you tried many of the touch screen devices with gloves on? Remember these are typically built for the racing market, not track days, so they expect you will be wearing gloves. From my experience with the old RLC data system, which was a touch screen, you had to remove your glove to set start finish - this meant pulling off a glove on the front strait possibly right in site of a flagger.

I currently have the MXL 2 in my car, no complaints, it has more options and sensors than I need. For the most part the only things I am using are the shift lights, predictive lap timing (do not buy anything that does not offer this), and the warning lights that I have configured so I don't have to watch my gauges.
    We have the Solo DL in my wife's Spec Miata, really just use it for lap times.

Another really nice option is the new AEM CD-7. Awesome display, and the big buttons are super easy to press with gloves on while bouncing around the track. CD-7 Digital Racing Dash Displays | AEM

Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    I'm looking at a race display to help datalog, as well as provide better visibility to the various sensors I have.

I started doing some basic research and found race displays haven't really caught onto the touchscreen premise. There seems to be quite a few race dash display options, but with really archiac designs (see: Stack).
    I didn't bother looking at phone based systems.

If you have any experience, please share.

Here's what I've found, some of it may not be 100% accurate since it's all from marketing on sites:

AiM MXL 2 (MC-247) - $1999
    - 2gb of space
    - non-touch screen, LCD
    - gauges aren't configurable, but the data they display is.
    - 8 analog inputs
    - CAN capable
    - 7.5" x 4" overall size

AiM MXG (MC-248) - $2599
    - 4Gb of space
    - 800x480px, 7" TFT non-touch screen
    - semi configurable display
    - 8 analog inputs
    - CAN capable
    - 9.3" x 5" overall size

AiM MXS (MC-246) - $2299
    - the same as above, except 5" screen

AiM MXS Strada () - $850~ (flux with GBP)
    - the same as above, except 5" screen and has street use icons (turn indicators, etc)
    - Does not do datalogging

AiM SoloDL - $699
    - 16mb of space
    - non-touch screen, LCD
    - display non configurable
    - OBD2 only
    - 3.9" x 3.1" x 1.2"

Spultronix Dash7 - $1199
    DASH7
    - Uses MicroSD cards, so supports upto a lot?
    - touch screen, 7" TFT, 800x480px
    - fully customizable
    - 4 analog inputs
    - RS232, CAN achievable thru adapters
    -

TunerView RD2 - $699
    TunerView RD 2 Release TunerView Displays
    - 4Gb SD Card
    - touch screen, 5" TFT, unknown res
    - unknown level of customization
    - 3 analog inputs
    - RS232 and CAN comms
    Last edited by RacerJason99; 02-21-2017 at 10:57 AM.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    3 times

I've got the AIM MXL2. I second everything above. It's the same guts as the mxg/mxs and provides all the same functions, but at a cheaper price. I prefer the traditional circular shift lights and plain text.
    After pricing how much all the gauges I need, I then figured it would be not much more cash for the mxl2. Don't pay retail. Some retailers will discount at least 10%.

You can program warnings for any sensor if it exceeds a value. No keeping an eye on water temp, if it gets too hot then a warning pops up and says engine hot. You can do that for anything.
    Olitho likes this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    401 times

A couple of comments -

Decide why you need a dash or data system. These things don't come cheap so get it right and do it once.

Generally the need for a data system falls into one of 3 categories:

- monitoring vehicle health and/or performance (gauge replacement or additions)
    - driver performance and improvement
    - both driver and vehicle performance

If all you are looking for is a way to log lap times, don't waste your time or money. There are lots of good smart phone apps out there that can provide basic gps timing. The AiM Solo is great also though it can do much more than just log lap times.

If you are seeking a gauge replacement system then AEM, Motec, and the AiM (non-Solo) systems will all do a good job. All have great alarm mechanisms, most with added intelligence of conditional alarms, that make these systems an effective, and arguably cost effective, solution. Do not overlook the ability to log engine health data. You will never notice your oil pressure dipping under hard braking into a left hand turn with analog gauges in the middle of a race. By the time you put your eyes back on the gauge it will have recovered and will look normal. Looking at the data however this event will stand out like a sore thumb. Ditto for a failing alternator or fuel pump (assuming you are logging fuel pressure). Be wary of CAN bus only systems. Unless you have a fairly current vehicle (2006+) or an aftermarket ECU (Megasquirt, AEM Infinity, ....) the CAN bus is likely to be too slow to be of much use. On our cars (mostly Miata) we use standalone sensors as the CAN bus is either nonexistent or too slow to be of use. We typically have sensors for H20, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure, and AFR. Generally this is sufficient but you could add many more if you felt the need. Personally I would never use a non data logging system (such as an AiM MXL Strada) for a track car due to the lack of logging.

If driver performance is your thing, the first criteria in my opinion should be 'what are my buddies running?'. If you have a bling Motec system and all your buddies have AiM Solos you are going to get left behind if they start collaborating. Being able to compare data to another driver (in similar cars) is one of the fastest ways to improve. Don't become an island when it comes to data. When it comes to measuring driver performance only one number counts - lap time. Every other channel - mph, rpm, steering angle, brake pressure, and etc just tell us why we suck and many of those might not make much sense until you put them in context with another drivers data. Walk before you run - no need to 'sensor up' until you are ready to look at all that data. This is one of the reasons why AiM Solos are so effective.

Track time is expensive. Looking at your data is one of the best ways to improve without pounding out laps in the car. Keep in mind that these systems will outlive your car making them more affordable (yeah I am rationalizing...) than you realize. Thus it is important to choose a vendor who is going to be around for a while to make sure you can get support and software updates. Where is RLC? Traqmate? Gone. My first AiM MXL system was purchased in 2003/2004. I sold it in 2010 for more than what I paid for it, and bought another MXL just because I wanted the newer graphics. These things last a long time.
    Last edited by markn; 02-21-2017 at 07:25 PM.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Kam
    Liked
    90 times

My usewould be more for displaying of gauges / alerts. If I can get lap times on the gauge, great... added benefit.
    My ecu has SOME datalogging space (Hondata), so it's not super crucial, although having an onboard datalogger with more capacity would be nice.

So, requirements for my use:
    - Better, graphical, display of sensors and alerts (Both from the ECU and additional sensors for wideband, oil temp, oil pressure, boost, etc)

My nice to haves:
    - lap times
    - onboard datalogging
    - gear position indicator

the main point of this post was to try to collect all of the various dash displays out on the market, with pricing and specs...

+ Reply to Thread