+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: R35 GTR or 997 Porsche Turbo?

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by R Motorsports View Post
    What would you guys buy if you were given $70k? Sorry, you can't keep the cash and you can buy only one car.
    It ain't even close. Corvette Z06 (probably closer to $80K now, but humor me).

The only other possibility is the new Cayman S with 320 bhp, but I favor the C6 by a wide margin.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    It ain't even close. Corvette Z06 (probably closer to $80K now, but humor me).

The only other possibility is the new Cayman S with 320 bhp, but I favor the C6 by a wide margin.
    These were my 2 choices too although I'm leaning towards the Cayman S.

e

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    These were my 2 choices too although I'm leaning towards the Cayman S.

e
    505 bhp make for a lot of giggles and these C6 cars are easy to drive really fast. Porsche builds fine cars they charge too much for and they load them up with options like $8K for ceramic brakes.

With the $70K-$80K budget, the GT-R is a distant 3rd on my list. And I like Nissans.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    704 times

What can I say, I've always wanted a Porsche.

Another thought was a 370z with a LOT of after market goodies. I'm sure with someone else's credit card, it could be done.

Oh, I don't want to forget a Z4 coupe. Can you get a TC Kline Carbon one for $70k?
    e
    Last edited by Red_5; 02-06-2009 at 08:39 PM.

Liked
    1477 times

C6 Z06 hands down

Liked
    143 times

Porsche will be offering a Cayman S Clubsport.

Suppose to be 200lbs lighter than a regular Cayman S.

The new Cayman S is hot, PDk trans, LSD, 320hp, wider front wheels, brakes, etc.

But for $70K, I would still the 911 turbo.

Used Z06s are going for high $40s.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Silversprint View Post

The new Cayman S is hot, PDk trans, LSD, 320hp, wider front wheels, brakes, etc.

I think the question was new car for $70K. How old does a 911 Turbo have to be before you can buy it used for $70K?

Liked
    143 times

I think the question was new car for $70K. How old does a 911 Turbo have to be before you can buy it used for $70K?
    I think he has already found one. That's why he is asking the question, New GTR or used Porsche turbo.

Liked
    545 times

If I had the choice between a nice used 911 Turbo and a new GT-R, I'd probably go with the 911 (even though the maintenance will be much more significant).

That said, I'd even more look to just getting a 911. You could get into a much closer to new car.

Now if I was looking for a pure Sunday driver, these days it'd be difficult not to consider a Ferrari 456. I've seen some of the very last ones built going for the near 70k range, and, well, even though the 456 isn't the best Ferrari ever, it's still a 12 cylinder Ferrari!

Steve

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post

Now if I was looking for a pure Sunday driver, these days it'd be difficult not to consider a Ferrari 456. I've seen some of the very last ones built going for the near 70k range, and, well, even though the 456 isn't the best Ferrari ever, it's still a 12 cylinder Ferrari!

Steve
    You don't want to buy a big, heavy, undesireable Ferrari model. Talk about maintenance costs - makes a Porsche look like a Honda. A new Z06 is a WAY better car.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

First off, DIE for creating this thread!!!

So, $70K:

New R35 GTR
    Used 996 Turbo
    New C6 Z06

...that's a tough one. This a daily driver, weekend toy, track toy? R35 has way too much grip for being so heavy, to have any fun with except on a track. The Z06 will keep you more on the edge of your toes and is a little more engaging. The Porsche is a Porsche, and if you like the dynamics of rear-engine, with the front being very light (lots of trail braking), it's awesome.

Porsche has the nicest interior, then GTR, then Z06 (I can't stand how flimsy the seats are).

In terms of fun/engagement:
    Z06 - drift-o-rama
    Porsche - close 2nd. Porsche traction control sucks, can't turn it all the way off but i'm sure their are ecu flashes for it.
    GTR - still very high, despite my making fun of EBDC, they are pretty cool to drive - no fun for drifting.

GTR is BIG, feels like a 2-door M5, on narrow roads it really shows you its size. Porsche is a small car, Z06 has beautiful bulging fenders but to those who don't know, it'll look just like another Corvette.

Can't go wrong with any of them. I had some good fun with a stock (on coilovers) 996 Twin Turbo:

Last edited by Stuntman; 02-07-2009 at 12:45 AM.

Liked
    0 times

New body 07 Porsche Turbos are in the $70k range now believe it or not. Used C6 Z06 for under $40k is definitely best bang for the buck. Of course these are all my price at wholesale, average retail would be $10k more.
    Last edited by R Motorsports; 02-07-2009 at 02:17 AM.

Liked
    10 times

i will never buy 911 turbo

if the question is 997 turbo vs R35 GTR

the answer is definitely R35 GTR

if the question is 997 GT3 vs R35 GTR

i will buy GT3 now and consider newer R35 GTR later

if the question is $70k budget

i will buy Caterham R500 or CSR260
    Jaku 峠

Liked
    10 times

you might be disappointed at the PDK cos they won't stay in gears just like DSG, they will upshift once you hit redline or they will downshift whenever they want even in manual mode

i forgot if they have rpm protection for downshifting like DSG (4000rpm), but i don't think it's a track oreiented tranny
    Jaku 峠

Liked
    10 times

I think the GT3 RS is kinda a ripoff. I costs a lot more than the GT3 and all you get a slightly lighter car with different wing an RS graphics on the side. I'd take a GT3. The new one has 435 hp.
    i remember when i checked the price for GT3 RS last year, the list price on their website was only a few thousands more than regular GT3, i was very surprised back then.
    Jaku 峠

Liked
    143 times

Quote Originally Posted by R Motorsports View Post
    New body 07 Porsche Turbos are in the $70k range now believe it or not. Used C6 Z06 for under $40k is definitely best bang for the buck. Of course these are all my price at wholesale, average retail would be $10k more.
    So you can find me a used Z06 for under $40K.

Liked
    0 times

So you can find me a used Z06 for under $40K.
    Sure can.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2