Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ETK
  • 4 Post By emilio700

Thread: R compound tire recomendations

Liked
    439 times

Default R compound tire recomendations

Anybody running Hankook Ventus Z214's?

Looking to get off of my 200 treadware street tires and into some R compounds that will have some good durability on my 2,200 lb track car

The Tire Rack reviews look good on this tire, and they have the size I need.

craZee

Liked
    1429 times

What sizes do you need?

Liked
    439 times

Currently running 225/50/16, might be able to go up to 245.

ETK
    Liked
    112 times

I got 8 days on my NT01s before they corded. My Alfa is probably about 2,200 pounds. Sizes are different though: 205/55/14. And I don't have an LS1...
    bawareca likes this.
    2002 Porsche 911 Targa
    1967 GTV
    1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
    2008 350z - Sold

FastInFastOut.com

Liked
    464 times

Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post

Looking to get off of my 200 treadware street tires and into some R compounds that will have some good durability on my 2,200 lb track car

craZee
    In my 2350lbs RX7. I get 4 races on mine before they start to drop off. Then use them for warm up and Qualify seasons. As long as I don't flat spot them they last the rest of the year. I ran on the ones from 2012 season in both races two weeks ago (I was having clutch problems, so a sticker tire would not have helped). They were ok and still had tread left at the end. But not real fast. 2sec off from the last time (2014) I used them.

They are close but not quite as fast as the Hoosiers R's. They also have a little more squirm to them. The sidewall is not as stiff. So feel is not as good as Hoosiers ether.

But all in all. I highly recommend them, unless you need that last few tenths of seconds for a National win.

This is with the C51 compound. I have not used the C71's. But have heard that the c71 are not any faster. But do wear faster.
    Last edited by Gian; 04-29-2015 at 09:30 PM.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    1477 times

Hankook Z-214s come in three compounds - C51 hard, C71 soft, and C91 super-soft. I have experience only with C71, which are very fast tires that don't last long. C91 is only good for a couple of laps in a Time Attack and then it is gone. Never used C51, but I think Burgoon has experience with them.

In any event, I would go with Nitto NT-01. Lots of grip, and long life by R-Comp standards.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Hankook Z-214s come in three compounds - C51 hard, C71 soft, and C91 super-soft. I have experience only with C71, which are very fast tires that don't last long. C91 is only good for a couple of laps in a Time Attack and then it is gone. Never used C51, but I think Burgoon has experience with them.

In any event, I would go with Nitto NT-01. Lots of grip, and long life by R-Comp standards.
    I tried something that i think was C30. It was freakishly hard and/or cycled out badly.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2393 times

Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post

craZee
    No vote on the Z214's. The harder C31 compound is slow, the medium C51 is a tick faster than an RA-1/NT01 when new but cycles out before the tread is gone. The C71 is about as fast as a Toyo RR but cycles out very quickly. Beyond that, the Z214's are expensive.

Racing at the front of the pack or JP Monyebags HPDE, it's Hoosiers.
    HPDE it's RA-1, NT01 or Maxxis RC-1, they all have their strong points.

100 TW tires
    RA-1 Needs to be shaved ($20-35 each) to get best tread life. Very good in the rain. Quiet and ride decent on the street. Good down to the cord. Lots of sizes.
    NT01 Does not need to be shaved. Sucks but driveable in the rain. Loud and rough on the street. Good down to the cord. Lots of sizes. Cost less than RA-1
    Maxxis RCX-1. Does not need to be shaved. Worthless in the rain. Quiet, medium rough on the street. Good down to the cord. Not many sizes yet. Least expensive and longest lasting 100TW race tire.

Around these parts, there was a mass migration to the NT01 (from RA-1) when it was launched about 6 years ago since it did everything but rain better than the RA-1. Last 12 months folks are switching over to the RC-1 as it's the fastest of the three and last the longest. No Brainer.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    439 times

Great info guys.

Maxxis used my garage for a photo shoot a few years ago. They gave me store credit, but didn't have any race tires in sizes that I could use. I ended up getting trailer tires from them LOL

Maybe I am still on the good guy list?

Pretty sure John was the guy I interfaced with

craZee

Liked
    981 times

We ran the Hankook C51 tires on our 25 hours of Thunderhill car (Hankook/El Diablo BMW). My experience is only in this endurance race which basically is one long heat cycle, but I was very impressed with their grip and especially their consistency over long periods of racing. They felt like at least Hoosier R6 level grip and the grip lasted like a slick. I'm just not sure how they would heat cycle, but I doubt they would be any worse than a Hoosier.

That said, I love Hoosiers and that's what I run on my T1/ST2 corvette. They also don't make Hankooks in corvette sizes.

+ Reply to Thread