+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cosmin

Thread: Quasi-bizarre crash at Thunderhill

Liked
    977 times

Default Quasi-bizarre crash at Thunderhill

This popped up on my YouTube feed. I'm not sure I agree with the drivers assessment.

Here's the description from the driver:

Exciting end to the second race on Sunday. I had a broken 4th gear so was very slow down the straights, and Frank Emmett caught up to me on the last lap. I held the racing line and Emmett decided to take the outside between me and the wall.

Tech steward initially disqualified me for not leaving enough room, but on review of the video and eyewitness evidence the chief stewards ruled that I held the same line I took on previous laps, and it was the responsibility of the overtaking driver to pass me safely. There was plenty of room on the inside to do so. It was ruled a racing incident with no penalty to either driver.

The good news is, nobody was hurt, and the cars can both be repaired. And Emmett gets a cool video of him crossing the finish line sideways on two wheels

Liked
    72 times

mmm.. looks like gran turismo strategy. why drift back toward the right?

edit: oh wait, that wasn't the last lap, was it?
    Last edited by cosmin; 09-23-2013 at 09:05 PM.
    krazik likes this.

Liked
    981 times

Wow, not smart to pinch off a much faster car that's committed to a path on the inside. I've been in the position of the faster car most of the time and I assume a slower car will leave room. It's easy to look in the mirrors on that straight.

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    Wow, not smart to pinch off a much faster car that's committed to a path on the inside. I've been in the position of the faster car most of the time and I assume a slower car will leave room. It's easy to look in the mirrors on that straight.
    Totally agree. I don't see how it is reasonable to start all the way to the left, wander around in the middle while you fumble with your broken trans, then end up pinching the overtaking car to the far right of the track up against a wall all while claiming that it's the responsibility of the faster car to overtake safely?

Maybe I am missing something as the stewards seem to agree with the driver.

Liked
    1429 times

Racing line crosses from left to right on the straight, just like at WSIR. Looks like he was guilty of not looking at his mirrors, nothing more.

Liked
    2165 times

Is Emmet driving a new car?
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    546 times

Emmet's been driving that car for a couple of years now; I think I first saw it in the summer of 2010. Without being able to see an external view of what happened (i.e., when did Emmet commit to the outside, etc.) I can't formulate any real opinion.

Steve

Liked
    130 times

yeah frank's had the new car for a while and I'm also friends with the driver. but seems he could have stayed left too. I suspect he was too caught up in the shift and had no idea frank was there.

+ Reply to Thread