+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Porsche Turbo: The Ultimate Daily?

Liked
    366 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    I love HPA's new 1M. It is a riot.
    I just got an S52 Coupe! Might be underpowered but its good to know its not a bad car?
    Do you understand?

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    I just got an S52 Coupe! Might be underpowered but its good to know its not a bad car?
    Sweet, E36/8? They are great cars, but they are also shining examples of crappy BMW bushings/water pumps/mounts/etc. And IIRC those cars like to crack the rear subframes in half (or something to that effect)....

Liked
    977 times

The M Coupe should have the metal water pump already, but will still have the plastic end tank radiator. The Mishimoto upgrade for that car is pretty good as it is 3-row.

I'm sure LAWLence can add more as he has been tracking his S54 powered for a while.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Sweet, E36/8? They are great cars, but they are also shining examples of crappy BMW bushings/water pumps/mounts/etc. And IIRC those cars like to crack the rear subframes in half (or something to that effect)....
    In my E36 M3 I just replaced all my subframe bushings with Prothane Polyurethane from Bimmerworld as well as rebuilt the diff and new diff bushings. New Front lower control arms and bushings and my KW V3s, the thing is back to awesome. The 99 M3's (and I believe 98s) had the chassis weld in braces already that can be retrofitted in the earlier M3s. No problems here. Dorifto Machino!

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    In my E36 M3 I just replaced all my subframe bushings with Prothane Polyurethane from Bimmerworld as well as rebuilt the diff and new diff bushings. New Front lower control arms and bushings and my KW V3s, the thing is back to awesome. The 99 M3's (and I believe 98s) had the chassis weld in braces already that can be retrofitted in the earlier M3s. No problems here. Dorifto Machino!
    All the M3's from about 10/94 onwards have the subframe reinforcements in the rear, only the non-M's don't have them. It's definitely recommended to weld in the front subframe reinforcements around the engine mount area.

Liked
    981 times

What is it about a corvette that makes it a great track car, but I have no desire to own one for the street? On paper it seems like it would be a top contender for a 2 seat daily driver with great performance, handling, power, bang for the buck, etc. Is it the image that goes along with it? I try to see myself driving a C6Z, but just can't quite get there. I'd rather own a Boss 302 or bmw M3 even though I've never really been a ford or bmw fan. A porsche sounds cool, but where I live it would stick out like a sore thumb. Actually anything other than a pickup truck or astro van would stick out like a sore thumb out here...
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    366 times

MY2000 so its the E36! The rear subframe has already been reinforced, water pump is metal and I will be purchasing a radiator. Previous owners all knew about these issues and took care of most all but the radiator. I just wanted to see what you guys thought. I know Billy loves the E36 cars!

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    The M Coupe should have the metal water pump already, but will still have the plastic end tank radiator. The Mishimoto upgrade for that car is pretty good as it is 3-row.

I'm sure LAWLence can add more as he has been tracking his S54 powered for a while.
    If LAWLence can chime in that would be great. Looking to lower as much weight and start tracking asap =]

Do you recommend the bushings for the M coupe Billy? The car has ireland engineering rear subframe bushings and TCkline True match S/A coils along with some other things such as eccentric trailing arm bushings, rear shock mounts, etc. I was going to eventually use a kwv3 setup on the car as well. The only real thing I haven't figured out is what tire sizes to end up with. The car can run a ton of tire in the rear it seems.

Also pretty much every video with this car in it has it sideways. lol
    Do you understand?

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    What is it about a corvette that makes it a great track car, but I have no desire to own one for the street? On paper it seems like it would be a top contender for a 2 seat daily driver with great performance, handling, power, bang for the buck, etc. Is it the image that goes along with it? I try to see myself driving a C6Z, but just can't quite get there. I'd rather own a Boss 302 or bmw M3 even though I've never really been a ford or bmw fan. A porsche sounds cool, but where I live it would stick out like a sore thumb. Actually anything other than a pickup truck or astro van would stick out like a sore thumb out here...
    To go incognito in your neighborhood I suggest a John Deere.

2731-td3b.jpg

Personally I prefer driving a square set-up with full cage and steel window net.

image9pg.jpg
    hakeem, redtopz and bawareca like this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    981 times

Ha, maybe I should just stick with tractor pulls and forget about road racing! BTW, I own a Kubota and a Massey Ferguson but no John Deere. I don't like the image, too snobby.

As far as a vette for a DD, I think my problem is I fit the stereotype too well and dread all the "hey look, another middle aged bald dude going through a midlife crisis" comments.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    165 times

Sweet. But, I was only referring to the 'Z3' M Coupes.

MY2000 so its the E36! The rear subframe has already been reinforced, water pump is metal and I will be purchasing a radiator. Previous owners all knew about these issues and took care of most all but the radiator. I just wanted to see what you guys thought. I know Billy loves the E36 cars!

If LAWLence can chime in that would be great. Looking to lower as much weight and start tracking asap =]
    Oh yeah, forgot LAWLence is on here, just ask him!

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    Ha, maybe I should just stick with tractor pulls and forget about road racing! BTW, I own a Kubota and a Massey Ferguson but no John Deere. I don't like the image, too snobby.

As far as a vette for a DD, I think my problem is I fit the stereotype too well and dread all the "hey look, another middle aged bald dude going through a midlife crisis" comments.
    So what would be the stereotype for:
    Porsche?
    BMW?
    Honda S2000?
    Elise?
    Miata (Did I really need to ask this one)?
    Evo/STI?
    Ferrari?
    Camaro/Mustang?
    Other?

This calls for a whole new thread. Who will start it? BellWilliam, The Sheriff, Brett? ...?

Liked
    19 times

Ooooh boy, here we go:

Porsche - Starbucks latte ($$$) swilling euro whore. Too peaceful to fight, likes spirited drives and wine tastings. Can't drive.
    BMW - Starbucks coffee ($$) swilling euro whore. Tries to start fights everywhere, generally a douche, can't actually fights. Likes to drive to clubs and armani exchange.
    Honda S2000 - You wanted a convertible that was less ghey than miata.
    Elise - I like to drive to trackdays and then straight to the chiropractor.
    Miata (Did I really need to ask this one) - used to be ghey. Now cheap enough for kids to buy to race and slam so low that they park under 18 wheelers. The default answer for affordable track car.
    Evo/STI - Used to be the next coolest thing next to a skyline. AWD AND TURBOS?!?! Lost the horsepower race about ten years ago, gran turismo generation finally can afford but doesnt realise they are too slow. (Aka. New Mustang V6 will outrun them, outmileage them...etc)
    Ferrari - Don Perrier ($$$$$), usually drunk at the wheel, funds Ferrari's race effort, therefore basically a professional factory driver
    Camaro/Mustang - Mullets. John Deere crowd friendly. Astro Van people are jealous but accept you as their deity (Boss 302/ZL1) or minor deity (SS/GT)
    Prius - you are the definition of automotive troll. Middle finger to all performance drivers. Also you probably smoke a lot of weed or are a b-list celebrity.
    GT3 RS 4.0 - You are Chris Harris. You believe in only driving sideways. Currently pioneering a petition to make drifting the only legal way to change lanes.
    Grease Powered VW - You are Randy Pobst. You generally can bend any cars will completely to your own, nothing left to prove so you save on gas and spend it on Fruit Smoothies.
    Ford GT40 - You didnt do your research. You dont know how to buy Supercars.
    Ferrari 360 - You like to go slow for a lot of money.
    Ferrari F40 - You like to go real fast for a lot of money, then promptly break, crash the car or die. Life expectancy generally drops by a couple magnitudes.
    350z - You want a car that looks fast and sporty. You dont know that the car will kill you before it finishes 2 laps at a trackday: through understeer and/or brake failure and/or snap oversteer.
    Civic - you enjoy the huge negative stigma associated with your car created by the "import scene". You will trade your car, for any of the above. Any.

Liked
    2165 times

^
    |
    |
    |

Good work!

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by heelntoe View Post
    Miata (Did I really need to ask this one) -
    we drink Peet's coffee because we actually like coffee and because small cappuccinos come two shots unlike Charbucks

Ferrari - Don Perrier ($$$$$),
    You clearly don't own a Ferrari.
    Last edited by Red_5; 02-13-2012 at 02:00 PM.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1477 times

The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    981 times

Ooooh boy, here we go:

Porsche - Starbucks latte ($$$) swilling euro whore. Too peaceful to fight, likes spirited drives and wine tastings. Can't drive.
    BMW - Starbucks coffee ($$) swilling euro whore. Tries to start fights everywhere, generally a douche, can't actually fights. Likes to drive to clubs and armani exchange.
    Miata (Did I really need to ask this one) - used to be ghey. Now cheap enough for kids to buy to race and slam so low that they park under 18 wheelers. The default answer for affordable track car.
    Evo/STI - Used to be the next coolest thing next to a skyline. AWD AND TURBOS?!?! Lost the horsepower race about ten years ago, gran turismo generation finally can afford but doesnt realise they are too slow. (Aka. New Mustang V6 will outrun them, outmileage them...etc)
    Ferrari - Don Perrier ($$$$$), usually drunk at the wheel, funds Ferrari's race effort, therefore basically a professional factory driver
    Camaro/Mustang - Mullets. John Deere crowd friendly. Astro Van people are jealous but accept you as their deity (Boss 302/ZL1) or minor deity (SS/GT)
    Prius - you are the definition of automotive troll. Middle finger to all performance drivers. Also you probably smoke a lot of weed or are a b-list celebrity.
    GT3 RS 4.0 - You are Chris Harris. You believe in only driving sideways. Currently pioneering a petition to make drifting the only legal way to change lanes.
    Grease Powered VW - You are Randy Pobst. You generally can bend any cars will completely to your own, nothing left to prove so you save on gas and spend it on Fruit Smoothies.
    Ferrari F40 - You like to go real fast for a lot of money, then promptly break, crash the car or die. Life expectancy generally drops by a couple magnitudes.
    350z - You want a car that looks fast and sporty. You dont know that the car will kill you before it finishes 2 laps at a trackday: through understeer and/or brake failure and/or snap oversteer.
    Civic - you enjoy the huge negative stigma associated with your car created by the "import scene". You will trade your car, for any of the above. Any.
    Holy crap, you came up with all this in 21 minutes? Well played! Sorry to see I fit more than one stereotype now.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    165 times

Ooooh boy, here we go:

Good stuff!

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    All the M3's from about 10/94 onwards have the subframe reinforcements in the rear, only the non-M's don't have them. It's definitely recommended to weld in the front subframe reinforcements around the engine mount area.
    I'm pretty sure the 98 and 99 M3 were the only ones with the reinforced rear chassis where the subframe bolts up, as well as teh 99 the only one to have the front strut tower reinforcement plate (between the strut and the tower)

Do you recommend the bushings for the M coupe Billy? The car has ireland engineering rear subframe bushings and TCkline True match S/A coils along with some other things such as eccentric trailing arm bushings, rear shock mounts, etc. I was going to eventually use a kwv3 setup on the car as well. The only real thing I haven't figured out is what tire sizes to end up with. The car can run a ton of tire in the rear it seems.

Also pretty much every video with this car in it has it sideways. lol
    Dosn't matter since you'll sell it in a week :-P

I raced a Z3 Coupe and it's an awesome car, sounds like you have everything you need, just don't kill the handling with a huge tire stagger.

Liked
    977 times

I'm pretty sure the 98 and 99 M3 were the only ones with the reinforced rear chassis where the subframe bolts up, as well as teh 99 the only one to have the front strut tower reinforcement plate (between the strut and the tower)
    Not sure about the front, but the rear subframe is definitely reinforced on all M cars other than the very earliest 95 models. See: Turner Motorsport | E36 Rear Subframe/Chassis Reinforcement Kit

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

Also, the nut on the gear for the oil pump can come lose on the s52. You should pull the pan and weld or loctite that nut.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast