+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Porsche Turbo: The Ultimate Daily?

Liked
    19 times

Default Porsche Turbo: The Ultimate Daily?

My dream car is a GT3 RS. I know, its silly, they don't make sense, they are stubborn evolutions of an inferior design. I like Porsches, except the first gen boxter. I would rather keep my civic.

I never understood why racecar drivers always have such boring street cars. A RS4 or even *gasp* A4? Stock? Pshhhh. An M5? Isnt that too soft? AUTOMATIC?! It should at least have no suspension, aero work and a rollcage... Take some weight out, put in a race seat... and you can drive your daily to the track, and come home. Then I tried it. It really is overrated to destroy a perfectly compliant and stock daily in order to make it faster for the 1% of its life that it will be tracked. The seat hurts your back for extended drives, the car is loud, uncomfortable and not that fun to drive on a daily basis, what it does for 99% of its life. Now I understand. The way to go, if at all possible, is to have your race car and a street car.

Therefore, a nearly stock daily is not a bad thing at all. As long as the car is comfortable, decently quick (for us that appreciate that) and can still take a lap or two of flogging, it should be a good car. e39 M5 comes to mind, the boss 302 makes me wonder... Then I watched a video of Walter Rohrl defending the case of the 911 Turbo to someone who was interviewing him (smug MT editor or something, who much prefers GT3RS ). "Well you see, I need AWD because I live with snow and rain, and the torque is actually great on the street, I dont have to downshift 2 gears, I just step on it and the turbo is gone..." It started to makes sense. After trying it, I can tell you there is no way in hell I will daily an elise, GT3RS..etc. So that got me thinking, that car is too heavy and soft to track...but maybe, it would make a great street car. Too bad they are stupid expensive.

Wait, depreciation is a great thing. You can have the 170k$ car, for 30-60k$ now. So Boss 302 territory. Surely they are not reliable and the maintenance bills will be stupid, right? Turns out they are absolute tanks. Probably one of the most reliable Porsches available. Amazingly, a lot of the work can still be done by humans, not cyborgs automatons. Which means I can do most of the maintenance. An AMS reflash nets 100+ hp, should be great for "passing power". There are documented examples with over 200-300k miles, stock motors, stock turbos. So in the end, probably better and easier on the wallet than the newest M3 (another great daily). Hmmmm....

Thoughts?

PS. I know the z06 is probably cheaper in every respect, but day to day living, I think the porsche wins hands down.
    Last edited by heelntoe; 02-09-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Liked
    111 times

If track time will indeed represent 1% of the cars life, then sure, 911T > GT3 RS.
    Both have Metzger engines and a stout drivetrain, very reliable cars.
    I find the turbo to be one boring car to drive though, except for the pull, but gets old pretty quick.
    Less powah is better

Liked
    19 times

996/997 both fall in that price range. I have not driven the 911tt though, so I confess this is purely paper bench racing.

Liked
    97 times

OP, very well made point. However, an E46 M3 (or better yet, E90) would be a much better daily.... 911s aren't all that comfortable (compared to say the infinitely-adjustable and deep-reclining BMW seats), 911s also have heavy clutches, the seat warmers take long to warm up.

Liked
    3 times

I had a similar dilemma when looking to find a daily driver last year. I needed to replace my Honda but wanted something that wouldn't make me miss my Lotus on the drive to work. The Lotus is one of the most fun cars you can buy when driving on the right road, but I had never used it as a daily car, and wasn't about the start.

Was considering a Porsche Cayman S, 1M and 135i. Ultimately the 135i was the correct choice, though I still pine for the 1M a bit. My drive to work is all slow city driving over rough roads. I needed something quiet with a nice stereo, A/C, leather, all the amenities that a BMW comes with. Even the DCT transmission. Tons of torque. Great on the freeway and still somewhat engaging to drive.

Big believer in horses for courses now. No one car can do it all, though some cars are better compromises than others. Anyway, the Turbo isn't a bad choice at all. I like M3's for this dual purpose too.
    '05 Lotus Elise
    '16 Porsche Cayman GT4

Liked
    977 times

My wife has the 135i, stick too. Great car for daily use, although a little small in the trunk department.

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by heelntoe View Post
    Wait, depreciation is a great thing. You can have the 170k$ car, for 30-60k$ now.
    Service dept don't bill you any less now your $170k car is a $30k car. that $10k clutch job means nothing in a $170k car now suddenly look like a bad idea in a $30k car.
    whether you have a 2012 $170k Turbo or a 2006 $60k Turbo, parts department charge you exactly the same for that $5k ceramic brake rotor
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    20 times

Left: track car; right: street car.

daliy_track.jpg
    psychoazn likes this.

Liked
    19 times

Exactly what Im thinking

Quote Originally Posted by apk919 View Post
    Left: track car; right: street car.

Attachment 4319

Liked
    19 times

Super cool story:

Cliff Notes
    -Man buys one of the first 911 Turbos (930)
    -34...years ago. Car has mostly served as daily, hit over 600k miles
    -Recently went 175+ mph at the texas mile, at 75 years old

Excellence :: Second Bill : 1976 930 with 600,000+miles

Liked
    142 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Service dept don't bill you any less now your $170k car is a $30k car. that $10k clutch job means nothing in a $170k car now suddenly look like a bad idea in a $30k car.
    whether you have a 2012 $170k Turbo or a 2006 $60k Turbo, parts department charge you exactly the same for that $5k ceramic brake rotor
    Well that just killed the Boxster for me.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    366 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    my wife has the 135i, stick too. Great car for daily use, although a little small in the trunk department.
    you're married!?
    Do you understand?

Liked
    2165 times

Yes, he is married now. And everyone thinks HE has impossible unfinished and never-ending projects....
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Yes, he is married now. And everyone thinks HE has impossible unfinished and never-ending projects....
    Oli is married too. And that avatar is not his wife, it's him. Can you imagine the Saintly woman who could put up that guy?
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Oli is married too. And that avatar is not his wife, it's him. Can you imagine the Saintly woman who could put up that guy?
    Sheriff, you are horribly insensitive to my blind wife. Luckily for the both of you TrackHQ does not come in Braille.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Sheriff, you are horribly insensitive to my blind wife. Luckily for the both of you TrackHQ does not come in Braille.
    Well she has my sympathy if she is blind. But surely she can feel that hat when you go to bed at night. And still she stays with you . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

For a brand new car that is reliable and a good dd and awesome track car as well as torquey long wheelbase fun drift car, the BOSS is oretty badass. The e90 m3 is a great car too but will probably take a bigger depreciation hit. The 996t is probably the best deal out there and its nice on the street and fun on track and still fun to drift out there.

My friend who races professionally bought a 1m and says its the greatest thing since the 333hp s54 m coupe. Theres just so many good cars out that you haveto find out what tickles your fancy best.

Liked
    57 times

My daily driver is a 997 Turbo. A month after I bought it, I put some high-flow cats and a catback exhaust system. Left it that way until a few weeks ago when I had the EVT700 kit installed.

Before I got heavily into actual racing last year, I always had modified (barely) streetable street cars. Once I got the race cars, I lost interest in having a super uncomfortable pain in the ass car to drive around on the street. In the last 5 or 6 years I've owned some other cool cars that I drove regularly: F430, 09 CTS-V, C6 Z06, C6 ZR1, and multiple NSX's. The 997 Turbo is without a doubt the best street car. You don't have to drive around steep driveways, it's been very reliable, has heated seats, a great AC system, it warms up fast, and isn't a rattle trap on the inside. It's really fast and easy to drive around town and easy to park.

I'd honestly say the CTS-V is a close second place. My GF daily drives it now (and it makes > 600hp at the wheels), but if you plan on any track driving I'd avoid it.

-mike

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    My friend who races professionally bought a 1m and says its the greatest thing since the 333hp s54 m coupe. Theres just so many good cars out that you haveto find out what tickles your fancy best.
    I love HPA's new 1M. It is a riot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast