Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Porsche 918 - 1:23.540 @ WSIR

Liked
    20 times

Default Porsche 918 - 1:23.540 @ WSIR

Liked
    70 times

is it just me, or are the wheels hideous?
    -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

130+ through Turn 8. Nearly 100 mph through Turn 9, on a botched line. WOW. That car has to be wearing slicks with tread cut into them.
    ETK likes this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    704 times

That's a pretty cool video. I really liked how the host talked about how advanced the 959 was for it's time and how so much of that technology has trickled down to today's cars.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2282 times

narrator said 959 was from the era of carburetor ?? they made them from 86-89. most street cars were all fuel injected by then.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    375 times

Assuming that's on the tires they sell the 918 with, that's a very impressive lap time. Porsche Cup Cars are quicker at Willow, but those are not street-legal cars and they're on slicks.

Liked
    34 times

That looks really conservative. Don't wreck the car!

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    narrator said 959 was from the era of carburetor ?? they made them from 86-89. most street cars were all fuel injected by then.
    There were still lots of Hondas running around with carbs in the '80s but yeah, you're right, most street cars had fuel injection by then.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

I just noticed it's going 160+ mph by the end of the uphill strait.
    My car, before the swap, hit 105 mph-- or 112mph with the wind at its back.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    375 times

It's petty, but I enjoy the fact that my little car can carry slightly more speed through the second half of turn 4 than the new, modern beast. Never mind that the 918's lap time is much better than mine.
    Last edited by Jack Olsen; 05-19-2014 at 09:24 PM.

Liked
    3 times

Fastest time I know of is the FX-MS NSX, RTA event a few years ago 1:18 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AItNOJ1Yigs. For non formula, sports car I think it is still the track record.

I also know the GMG racing 911 GT1 from POC puts in back to back to back 1:21's. They could probably do better but car is more of a 20+ lap race car.

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    It's petty, but I enjoy the fact that my little car can carry slightly more speed through the second half of turn 4 than the new, modern beast. Never mind that it's lap time is much better than mine.
    Half of what I know about Big Willow is from you Jack, the other half I learned there lol!

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by GSS138 View Post
    Fastest time I know of is the FX-MS NSX, RTA event a few years ago 1:18 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AItNOJ1Yigs. For non formula, sports car I think it is still the track record.

I also know the GMG racing 911 GT1 from POC puts in back to back to back 1:21's. They could probably do better but car is more of a 20+ lap race car.
    My buddy Kyle has the GT1 track record at WSIR in his old Camaro. I would like to see what he could do in his new GT1 Corvette.
    1:17.884 GT-1 2/25/2012 by [3] Kyle Kelley

The fastest club racing lap I could find is in a Formula Atlantic.
    1:13.008 FA 2/23/2003 by Keith Lively
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    It's petty, but I enjoy the fact that my little car can carry slightly more speed through the second half of turn 4 than the new, modern beast. Never mind that it's lap time is much better than mine.
    But it is a good example of the "law of diminishing returns." 918 buyers will sure pay a lot for each incremental second.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1882 times

Can't remember names but POC had one 993 based race car that broke into the 1:18s something like 10 years ago.
    Fastest time I've seen being set was on a SpeedVentures event a couple years ago in a Stohr racecar driven by a very capable driver who was running laps in the 1:10-1:11 range. It was stunning to watch, he must have been carrying ~170 mph though T8 and the front straight... and the weather was not even good!

Liked
    375 times

Bob Stefanowicz ran a 1:18.7 in a 911 back in 2002.

More recently, James Sofronas has run a 1:19 in his Porsche 911 Cup Car, and a 1:17 in an Audi R8. Here's Sofronas' data overlaid with mine -- where I still get the one shining moment of never dropping below 60 mph right before the apex out of turn 4. (I'm red, the 1:17 Audi is green and the 1:19 Porsche is black.)

But what's more amazing is getting the big picture and seeing just how awesome the Audi is doing through 2 and then past the entry to 8.

Liked
    1477 times

The all time lap record at WSIR big track is 1:06 in An F1 car by an F1 driver. Don't remember who or when. Billy Johnson ran 1:18.5 in a modified NSX. I don't think the 1.23.5 lap time is all that impressive, especially considering the price of this Porsche.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    744 times

It is a matter of perspective. Supercar, yes, but it is also fully compliant for day to day street use. The aforementioned cars in comparison are purpose-built track cars. Considering the functionality and accouterments that make it a refined street/supercar, it is an impressive time.
    Blackbird likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    60 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    It is a matter of perspective. Supercar, yes, but it is also fully compliant for day to day street use. The aforementioned cars in comparison are purpose-built track cars. Considering the functionality and accouterments that make it a refined street/supercar, it is an impressive time.
    Beyond all the street trim stuff, it's the fact that it does a 1:23.5 with MINIMAL AERO (obviously far better than your average car, but still minor by "race car" standards). All of the cars cited as being faster have massive aero... if someone had the inclination to have a giant wing and splitter fabbed up for the 918, I'm sure it would drop a heap of time (since it certainly has the power to make use of it).

So in that vein, how many cars that do not have large GT-style wings are faster than this?
    bawareca likes this.
    Follow my racing: https://www.youtube.com/ryandhouck
    2009 Yamaha R6 (race bike)
    2014 Triumph Street Triple R (street bike)
    2009 Honda S2000
    2008 BMW M3 (sold)

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
    Beyond all the street trim stuff, it's the fact that it does a 1:23.5 with MINIMAL AERO (obviously far better than your average car, but still minor by "race car" standards). All of the cars cited as being faster have massive aero... if someone had the inclination to have a giant wing and splitter fabbed up for the 918, I'm sure it would drop a heap of time (since it certainly has the power to make use of it).

So in that vein, how many cars that do not have large GT-style wings are faster than this?
    simpler way of saying this: 918 is the fastest air conditioned car.....at WSIR, this is a BIG deal.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast