+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Places to eat when at the track

LongWinded National Champ Bueller's Avatar
    Liked
    168 times

Default Places to eat when at the track

Ive been thinking about posting a thread about this. The willow ranch thread reminded me so here it is:

Post where youve eaten at whatever racetrack youve been to. It doesnt have to only be Socal tracks. Post about whatever tracks youve been to. If we ever end up there we can check them out.

- Places you like
    What track is it by? Post the name and address. Follow it with your review.

- Places you dislike
    Same as above.
    Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

LongWinded National Champ Bueller's Avatar
    Liked
    168 times

Saved for my reviews.
    Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    1477 times

Willow Springs Int'l Raceway

I really like the Golden Cantina. I try to eat there once every time I go to WSIR, SOW or HTM. Good Mexican restaruant with steaks on the menu too. Plenty of good choices. Biggest and best cheese enchilada anywhere. Full bar, which can't be said for most of the other restaurants near racetracks.

It's on 40th Street west, a few block north of Rosamond Blvd., about 2 miles west of I-5 and 3 or 4 miles east of WSIR. You can watch the light planes take off from the local airport while you eat--it's right next to the runway.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1477 times

Toms #28 - on south side of Rosamond Blvd. about 1/2 mile west of I-5. Great place for breakfast on the way to the track. They do well with basic American breakfast like bacon, eggs & hash browns.

I wouldn't go there for lunch or dinner. I had a cheeseburger there once and it was mediocre.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1477 times

Coach's sports bar. On north side of Rosamond Blvd., about halfway between WSIR and I-5. Mostly burgers and fries. When they do it right, the burgers are very good. I like my burgers rare and always order them that way. Sometimes they come out the way I want, and other times they are well-done and suck.

Kinda pricey for what it is. A large cheeseburger with onion rings and iced tea, by the time you add tax and tip is $20. Very weird restaurant design with no windows. It's like eating in a brick bunker. Lots of TVs with sports showing.

Liked
    103 times

i like going to couch's when i know their's going to be a laker game after a track day, and then have big beer mugs right manly??!!!

Liked
    142 times

I tried Tom's before it's OK the waitresses are nice. I don't know what they put in the food but I always seem to have a massive headache a few hours after eating there.

Any good places around Auto Club Speedway?

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post

I really like the Golden Cantina. I try to eat there once every time I go to WSIR, SOW or HTM. Good Mexican restaruant with steaks on the menu too. Plenty of good choices. Biggest and best cheese enchilada anywhere. Full bar, which can't be said for most of the other restaurants near racetracks.

It's on 40th Street west, a few block north of Rosamond Blvd., about 2 miles west of I-5 and 3 or 4 miles east of WSIR. You can watch the light planes take off from the local airport while you eat--it's right next to the runway.
    Cantina rocks! great food decent prices. good drinks.

Liked
    2 times

did not like this place. it's almost as bad as El Torito.

Liked
    6 times

My most memorable dinner near a track was Black Bear Diner in Willows, near ThunderHill. Have any of your folks tried that?
    Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
    Supercharged E46 M54B25.
    2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!

Liked
    546 times

Quote Originally Posted by Vince S. View Post
    My most memorable dinner near a track was Black Bear Diner in Willows, near ThunderHill. Have any of your folks tried that?
    I love the sweet cream pancakes there. Everything else is not that great.

Steve

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    I love the sweet cream pancakes there. Everything else is not that great.

Steve
    what they lack in quality they make up for in volume
    their serving sizes are ridiculous.

everyone knows the place to go at t-hill is the mexican joint next to baymont/golden pheasant. food is tasty and the bar is good too.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by kenchi View Post
    did not like this place. it's almost as bad as El Torito.
    I'm not sure why there is so much disagreement about Golden Cantina. You either love it or hate it. I think it's great. I especially like the carnitas tacos and cheese enchiladas.

Other people, like you, don't like it. Tom Dragoun from 7s Only won't set foot in the place, not because he doesn't like the food, but because the treated him and Bette badly.

Liked
    0 times

One of my fave @ Spring Mnt is called The Winery.

Liked
    2165 times

Tom Dragoun from 7s Only won't set foot in the place, not because he doesn't like the food, but because the treated him and Bette badly.

I agree... the same for me. The management team is neurotic and amateur... as is childishly power hungry and controlling. That is kinda' funny given it is just a little restaurant, but it is true. I do like the food though.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Post-College Racing Sloth hikickracing's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

Another reason I miss California. Proximity of tracks to civilization

In Florida I've been to JenningsGP and Gainesvislle Test. The latter is a tiny track and never been a full event. Both times I ate peanuts or sandwiches I brought from home.

Maybe this doesn't count, but..
    Bunch of us in college got a free trip Long Beach Grand Prix thanks to a red bull hookup.
    Roscoe's after the race. Probably the second best fried chicken I've ever had!
    Last edited by hikickracing; 11-05-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Liked
    91 times

Laguna Seca:

Hog's Breath (Carmel By The Sea) - Clint Eastwood's restaurant (or one of?). Nice atmosphere, good food. A little far from the track, and a ***** to park downtown, and I hate everyone who goes to CBTS on general principle, but still worth it.

Sears Point:

Lunch: Angelo's Deli - Up 121 about 4-5 miles from the track. Really easy to go blowing straight past it, so there's an enormous lawn chair (like 15ft tall) on the right hand side just before it. One of the best sandwich places I've ever eaten at, cheaper than the cafeteria at Sears. I go there every time I'm st Sears. Bonus: They have FANTASTIC beef jerky, made on-site.

Dinner: Maya Palenque - Mexican place on 101 just south of 37. Stay to the right as you're coming onto 101 south and take the first exit, and it's just past the Shell on the right hand side. Parking can be difficult, but the food is great and the portions are big - including their margaritas.

Anyone have suggestions for Thunderhill, Buttonwillow, or Calspeed? Never had a properly good meal at any of them.
    Theseus: '94 Miata, NASA SU/TTU (in progress)
    Rover: '90 Miata, NASA PTE/E3

Liked
    142 times

I know the snack bar at SoW is fair a little on the bland side. Is SV pizza any good?
    Last edited by Johnny_Se7en; 11-05-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Se7en View Post
    I know the snack bar at SoW is fair a little on the bland side. Is SV pizza any good?
    SV pizza is history. SV bottle water will soon be history
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    6 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    SV pizza is history. SV bottle water will soon be history
    Ya know...I never quite gotten a straight answer about the pizza thing (or lunch ticket) from either Aaron or Dave. Only obvious explanation it's eating into their profits. I would think that any track cafeteria welcome the idea of offering lunch in volume.

The water thing I got an answer: to save environment.
    Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
    Supercharged E46 M54B25.
    2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast