Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Matt Andrews

Thread: picked up my FR-S this weekend / data logger question

Liked
    72 times

Default picked up my FR-S this weekend / data logger question

I did a quick write up on my blog.

FEcompetition | automotive exploits

Its not a track focused blog entry, but a couple people have been asking about the car. I mention in the entry that I am interested in a data logger for it. Someone mentioned that AEM has one.

Data Loggers - Wideband O2 UEGO, Water/Methanol, Stand Alone Engine Management, Piggyback F/IC, Tru Boost Controller, Gauges, Automotive Performance Electronics

Has anyone here used this? Looks like it has all the features you'd want. It doesn't have a dash, but I wonder if it is compatible with one.

Liked
    61 times

Awesome write up. Very nice to get an actual garage warrior enthusiast's point of view on stuff like wheel choices and brake upgrades. Everything i've been reading for the past 6 months are fluff pieces written by some guy who did 5 laps at an auto cross once and marvels how even he could get sideways. That or the other guy chose the shorter straw in the editors room and missed out on getting to review an avantor and is taking it out on the poor mid priced 'boy racers' car.

Ill keep an eye on your blog for updates.

Liked
    19 times

Great post. I have been reading all I can find about the car. Always find some info that makes me want the car more/less haha. I guess a test drive is in order. Question is, will it match the steep expectations I have considering I was interested in a nearly new AP2 S2k (same price range). I would be interested in a BRZ for DD and I know the s2000 is faster in a straight line at least. We need more info from Emilio methinks, especially considering he has had ample seat time in an S2k.

Does anyone have any hard numbers on the wing that is stock/optional with the BRZ "premium" package?

What I like/dislike (considering I have yet to drive the damn thing):
    Low CG, relatively low weight, NA with decent torque, well equipped (BRZ Premium), reasonable price and seems like a good value. Dislike the panel gap problems that have come up already, silly bolt pattern, no steering wheel controls, brakes look a bit small to me, and after that blog post how useless the back seats are. Also not the biggest fan of the Subaru "braaaat" rumble, hard to tell from videos if thats what this sounds like and some people have hinted it seems to have a pretty heavy flywheel. Unknowns are aftermarket, reliability and potential. In fact, we still don't really know if its that fast. It would be interesting to see what the potential for bolt-ons is. An 8th gen civic si can make 220-250whp naturally aspirated with basic bolt-ons and tuning. Thats plenty.

S2000 will be used but! Its also light, faster in a drag (faster on a medium/small track?), known potential/aftermarket, bipolar engine (I love it personally, it makes you work hard), proven to be honda reliable. The convertible thing is a bonus for me but also makes it less suited to all-year vehicle. Probably higher in insurance costs, possibly maintenance costs.
    Last edited by heelntoe; 06-11-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Liked
    2284 times

Everyone here is too polite to say it...

I think I speak for everybody:

"WE WANT TO KNOW HOW FAST IT GOES AROUND BW#13CW"
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Everyone here is too polite to say it...

I think I speak for everybody:

"WE WANT TO KNOW HOW FAST IT GOES AROUND BW#13CW"
    Apparently not EVERYONE is too polite . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    72 times

haha. is that a little sarcasm William? I am interested in bench marking for sure. And I figured that BW#13CW would be the best place - not because I like it, but because with the exception of members of this forum, nobody knows what a fast time around BW#1CCW is.

I am crossing my fingers on how it compares to a S2k stock to stock...
    Turn your iphone into an action camera:
    www.igloocase.com
    www.facebook.com/igloocase.com

Liked
    19 times

Check out the drag race. Shows the advantage of the torque in 1st:

Liked
    72 times

ugh. they took 2 cars that suck in a straight line and compared them. Do they then also race minivans around an auto x course? :P
    Neocataboi likes this.
    Turn your iphone into an action camera:
    www.igloocase.com
    www.facebook.com/igloocase.com

Liked
    1477 times

The current issue of AutoWeek (June 11, 2012) has "first drive" articles on the BRZ and FRS. They seem to like the BRZ a little better. Also, they said the FRS was softer in the front; I thought it was the other way around and the BRZ had a softer suspension. They tested the FRS at Spring Mtn. but didn't print a lap time.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    114 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    The current issue of AutoWeek (June 11, 2012) has "first drive" articles on the BRZ and FRS. They seem to like the BRZ a little better. Also, they said the FRS was softer in the front; I thought it was the other way around and the BRZ had a softer suspension. They tested the FRS at Spring Mtn. but didn't print a lap time.
    Posbt said that the BRZ was softer, and that was one of the reasons that made it a bit more manageable and faster around streets. I don't know who to believe anymore!!!!

Liked
    72 times

From what I've read, the FRS has stiffer rear springs and rear bushings, which is why some are saying the BRZ has a slight tendency of understeer compared to the FRS tendency to oversteer.

Liked
    19 times

Quote Originally Posted by Neocataboi View Post
    Posbt said that the BRZ was softer, and that was one of the reasons that made it a bit more manageable and faster around streets. I don't know who to believe anymore!!!!
    Pobst >> Random Auto journalist. I will take Pob's word every time and therefore the BRZ is softer. I wonder, are they on the same tires?

Liked
    70 times

Quote Originally Posted by heelntoe View Post
    Probably higher in insurance costs, possibly maintenance costs.
    Actually the insurance isn't too bad on the S2000. I don't own one yet, but Mercury quoted me $115 for 6 months, full coverage, $500 deductible. It sounded too good to be true so I called again to make sure and behold, it was correct.
    -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

+ Reply to Thread