Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By wagnerov
  • 2 Post By markn

Thread: Painter

Liked
    25 times

Default Painter

Anyone know painter cheap?
    Need to paint my race car like the Realtime racing ITR.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 112_0704_10zacura_integra_racecarre.jpg  
    Attached Images  
    http://touringcarclub.net/

Liked
    455 times

one day paint did mine. 850.00. With door jams and under hood too.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    25 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gian View Post
    one day paint did mine. 850.00. With door jams and under hood too.
    Your Rx7?

Liked
    455 times

yup. I was surprised how good it has held up too.

Liked
    43 times

You probably thought of this already, but use vinyl for the fluorescent red (or is it orange? i'm colorblind). Fluorescent paint is a waste of time and money after the first day.

Excellent color scheme choice, btw. Those cars kicked arse back in the day.
    SteveLevin likes this.

Liked
    516 times

vinyl is definitely your friend!

Liked
    2141 times

Fluorescents, whether it's in paint or vinyl, tend to fade quickly. A white car with vinyl wrapped lower portions might be more expensive than just painting it. It always surprised me how much wraps cost.

Liked
    1368 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Fluorescents, whether it's in paint or vinyl, tend to fade quickly. A white car with vinyl wrapped lower portions might be more expensive than just painting it. It always surprised me how much wraps cost.
    I wonder how much doing "bad vinyl" would cost. Like skip the installer and just buy the fancy vinyl and do it yourself and get bubbles and creases everywhere.

Can't imagine the creases are good for drag though, haha. Maybe cut those off....

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    307 times

Wrap material is relatively cheap. Much easier to apply than the 'decal' material. 450.00 gets you more than enough wrap material to do the whole car with lots of material left over for 'repairs'. Get the good wrap material - Avery or Oracal 1080. It is much easier to apply quality material than deal with hard to install less expensive stuff. To wrap an entire car it is time consuming though - that is where the cost to have someone else apply the wrap comes into play. The first time you apply wrap it is really painful. Second time easier...

If just creating graphics over the top of decent paint look into using 'knife tape' with wrap material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4wdK6ABTYc

Better example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZTDIMbBv1Q

The tape makes creating graphics with wrap material really easy.

With the advent of water based paints in CA paint jobs are a lot more expensive than they used to be. The cost and the mess of painting it yourself convinced me to wrap vs paint. Not nearly as much prep needed with wrap either. Another benefit.

Crappy picture of car wrapped with graphic overlay (wrap material). Graphics (numbers and swoosh) created by hand with knife tape. The picture doesn't show it but wrap is very glossy:

img_4549.jpg

Mark
    Last edited by markn; 11-01-2015 at 04:34 PM.
    Red_5 and Blackbird like this.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    455 times

What's the cost/prep time for pasti-dip?

I've done my own paint. Using Rust-oleum (not spray cans) from Home Depot. Cost me under 200.00 for one color with all material's (had my own gun and respirator) and bunny suit.
    But prep time was the killer and car was already primed.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    307 times

If you are up to shooting paint check out Restoration Shop. Perfect race car paint. About 110.00/gal for a Acrylic Urethane kit including paint, strainers, sticks, and hardener. This is for white. Other colors may be slightly more.
    Last edited by markn; 11-02-2015 at 08:16 PM.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    43 times

TCP Global is a great source for inexpensive paint. I see they even have an "Acura Championship White."

Not entirely off topic: My Miata is kind of a petri dish for coloring experiments as it had extensive clear coat failure.

First I tried wrapping the hood with black Vvivid7 vinyl wrap. Cold weather. Wrinkle fail. Left residue after removal with heat gun.

I tried plastidipping the trunklid. Cool color but I didn't rattlecan it right. Took hours to take it off with WD40 as it wouldn't peel off. That and if the dip gets close to a terry towel it gets furry in a hurry.

Then I did the roller rustoleum method on the hood. Lots of patience involved but it came out with an acceptably small amount of orangepeel. Surprisingly durable too.

As an experiment I bought a later generation of Vvivid vinyl wrap. This time I used it on the A-pillar and as a windshield banner with perfect results on a warmer day. The rest of the car I just sanded off the clear coat, bought a cheapo HF buffer, and went to town with Meguiars.

This winter I plan on doing some more stuff with vinyl wrap since I am chopping up the front to do a Supermiata air dam with a splitter.

All this just because I don't have a spray gun and compressor and a place to spray. I guess I could have taken it to Maaco a mile away and spent less time and money, but I had to try a cheap method...well, three cheap methods....

Liked
    25 times

No time or space to do it myself.
    Not really into wrap, especially for the front part.
    So need a good cheap painter.

Liked
    662 times

Quote Originally Posted by wagnerov View Post
    Then I did the roller rustoleum method on the hood. Lots of patience involved but it came out with an acceptably small amount of orangepeel. Surprisingly durable too.
    I might try this if I can't get my plastidip cleaned up. I've seen/heard others have acceptable results rolling on paint. It is a race car after all.

Gian, I think my whole plastidip kit including electric sprayer was around $400. I bought everything through weekend-racer.com. I'm not sure it held up any worse than a cheap paint job would have. I didn't sand my car ahead of time, just cleaned it very thoroughly.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    455 times

I will most likely go back to One day paint.

But I did have fun doing my own, when I did it. With that 200.00 ( the pain it self was 50.00) I got a roll of vinyl sheet to make a both in the garage. Put it on the celling and floor or you can wet the floor). Wetting the floor keeps the paint from sticking to the floor and this also helps with dust. Draped the rest from the celling in two "L" shapes. Making a enclosure taping it to the floor. Rolled the pre-prepped car in ready to paint.in. Used a box fan for the exhaust at the open edge, out the garage door. Tape the seems of the box enclosure. Using a small box for and opening. So when you turn on the fan it doesn't pull the sheeting in. When your done squirting the paint. Step out. let the fan clear the air. Turn off the fan close the door. let sit till morning.

Tips: good lighting for white.. you get snow blind after a while. Have someone looking for missed spots( snow blindness really happens). Mask off every and anything you don't want paint on including under the hood.

Best thing about using rustolume is you can get a rattle can to do touch ups/ repairs. Great for circle track cars.

+ Reply to Thread