+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Olitho

Thread: Out-Of-Control Motorcycle Kills Corner Marshal At Florida Track Day

Liked
    2165 times

Default Out-Of-Control Motorcycle Kills Corner Marshal At Florida Track Day

Out-Of-Control Motorcycle Kills Corner Marshal At Florida Track Day

On Sunday, December 28, 2014, during the Florida Track Days event at Palm Beach International Raceway's (PBIR) Road Course, a rider experienced a mechanical failure on his Yamaha R1 motorcycle: the throttle became stuck in the open position. The rider dismounted from the motorcycle before approaching Turn 9. The motorcycle continued down the track, impacting the tire wall at Turn 9 where Robert "Goofy" Hoffstetter was positioned as a corner marshal. Medics AMR staff stabilized Hoffstetter at the site, and he was then transported to St. Mary's Medical Center in West Palm Beach by a Palm Beach County Fire Rescue Trauma Hawk. Hoffstetter passed away due to the injuries sustained during the accident.

Hoffstetter had been working in motorsports for more than 30 years as a corner marshal at various racing events held at PBIR and at other tracks in Florida. On the day of the accident, he was under the employment of Florida Track Days, the host of monthly events at PBIR with track sessions and instructional courses for motorcyclists. He will be deeply missed by racers, friends, fellow corner marshals, PBIR staff, and the Florida motorsports community. PBIR and his friends are organizing a memorial to pay tribute to Hoffstetter, his loyalty to and passion for motorsports, and his many years of dedicated service.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    237 times

Horrible. RIP, Mr. Hoffstetter.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

One of the commenters mentioned a bungee kill switch, like on a treadmill. I didn't know those exist. If I ever get back into motorcycles, I'm going to have to do that.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    One of the commenters mentioned a bungee kill switch, like on a treadmill. I didn't know those exist. If I ever get back into motorcycles, I'm going to have to do that.
    They are also known as dead man switches. I lot of race series require those now.

After being a racer for a number of years, I had a reflexive action to pull in the clutch or feather it automatically when I got too much wheel spin, or it suddenly hooked up and wheelied, etc. I had throttles stick a few times and automatically pulled in the clutch. I always have a couple fingers on it when on the gas hard. I still can't figure why he dismounted. Every experienced rider I know would pull in the clutch, and hit the kill switch on the slow down. I guess he did not have too much experience. An R1 is fast with the mounted rider. I can't imagine how it would accelerate without the extra 150 pounds.
    bawareca likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Some dismounts go better than others.

2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    299 times

Rip.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    51 times

I don't remember if I met him when I raced there (back when it was Moroso Motorsports Park) but sad to hear. RIP

+ Reply to Thread