Thread: Original Car and Driver Miata Test

Liked
    854 times

Default Original Car and Driver Miata Test

Time capsule tribute to a timeless car:

The Line Forms Here

Liked
    1477 times

"The engine mates to a standard five-speed manual transmission, and only to a five-speed. No honest sports car would offer an automatic."
    Loose Caboose likes this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    854 times

Ah yes . . . honesty. A great term in this context.

Liked
    1477 times

The Miata is now 25 years old. Are cars better today? I think not.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    237 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    The Miata is now 25 years old. Are cars better today? I think not.
    Of course cars are better today. As much as I like Miatas, it's far from a perfect car. The fact that a humble minivan will out-accelerate an NA or NB Miata is just one such issue.

My DD is a 2012 BMW 135i with the M Sport package. It is far and away one of the best cars I have ever driven. Fast, handles well, brakes well, safe, comfortable, etc.

For sports car enthusiasts, we live in a great time. BMW 1M, BMW 3 series, new Boss Mustangs, new Z/28s, Scion/Subie FR-S/BRZ, etc.

These are the good old days, Richard! ;-)
    Olitho and ucfbrett like this.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    Of course cars are better today. As much as I like Miatas, it's far from a perfect car. The fact that a humble minivan will out-accelerate an NA or NB Miata is just one such issue.

My DD is a 2012 BMW 135i with the M Sport package. It is far and away one of the best cars I have ever driven. Fast, handles well, brakes well, safe, comfortable, etc.

For sports car enthusiasts, we live in a great time. BMW 1M, BMW 3 series, new Boss Mustangs, new Z/28s, Scion/Subie FR-S/BRZ, etc.

These are the good old days, Richard! ;-)
    In my humble opinion, the golden age of automobiles was from about 1991 through about 2006. Ushered in by the NSX, we have the E36 M3, RX-7 FD, 993 Turbo, 996 and 997 GT3, S2000, C5 and C6 Z06, 430 (last Ferrari with a manual), mid-2000s STI, Evo IX, and for all you girlies, the Miata. Now you can't buy a Ferrari, 911 Turbo or GT3 with a manual. Everything else today is green, hybrid, electric, heavy, complicated crap, with the emphasis on luxury, electronic doo-dads to plug your iPod into (the modern version of the cupholder -- the most important feature of a car for most new car buyers) and fuel economy.

As for the cars you mention, you like your 135i, I get that. Wouldn't it be better if it weighed 400 lbs. less? The 1M was a very limited run and they don't make it anymore. Try and buy one. Z/28 weighs 3,800 lbs. and is gargantuan. FR-S/BRZ is underpowered.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 05-25-2014 at 01:42 PM.
    Pure EvoIX likes this.

+ Reply to Thread