+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Open Passing Track Day Run Groups - Bad Idea or Good?

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by jqsti2015 View Post
    Advance group is "race like condition" which is why there is one but it's still a HPDE.
    Everyone should be there for fun and be careful with passing. We go there not for lap times cuz it's not a qualifying lap.
    Every time I try to register for a track day, I always hesitate to be in
    I agree with you and I would not worry. There are plenty who are just out to have fun or use up old tires. I raced at Sebring never seen the track…not even a video. People asked why I didn’t show up for Friday practice. I told them I went fishing! I won my race at NOLA in February but had a tight plane flight so I took the DQ so I could ditch fuel testing and all the rest of the scrutineering. Mostly, I have fun and putter. I think I can race when I want to. I was at CoTA 2 weeks ago. I have never had a dry lap there. I had 15mins of practice in the rain and my car broke and I could not qualify so started last in my group of reasonably close laptime cars. My class were the leaders. I started 43rd and finished 7th overall, chased my class down finished 4th in my class of 9 or so. It is all good just have fun out there. When you are not having fun it is time for a new hobby.

Liked
    2343 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    You might run into some Miatas that will follow you to closely...
    Corvettes are just Miatas with four extra cylinders and chest hair.
    Blackbird likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Corvettes are just Miatas with four extra cylinders and chest hair.
    And with Torque and Horsepower you don't need to be minimum weight in your class to be fast...
    1a.jpg
    Olitho and bawareca like this.

Kam
    Liked
    90 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    In the video at 1:10 you can see a poorly executed block pass that starts to turn into a stolen apex.
    If he didn't hesitate and got his nose ahead by the 1.5-2 marker, that would be a perfect block pass.
    But he waited too long so the other guy might not have seen him until after turnin. So lower marks for that.
    Well, to my defense, I started to make the pass but wasn't sure if the Civic saw / knew I was there and didn't want to accelerate passed, risking pushing out into him.
    So, I hung back enough to see what he would do -- When he stayed wide, I took the pass.

However, in retrospec, I could have waited another 5 secs to make the pass.
    4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    Well, to my defense,
    I know others feel differently Kam, but I don't think you did anything wrong.

I think in "open passing" drivers should be told, "if you leave a hole expect someone to fill it."

Liked
    2343 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    I know others feel differently Kam, but I don't think you did anything wrong.

I think in "open passing" drivers should be told, "if you leave a hole expect someone to fill it."
    We all have been guilty on occasion of turning down on a driver or some other indiscretion, unless we only have about 10 laps under our belts....
    bawareca likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1495 times

Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    Well, to my defense, I started to make the pass but wasn't sure if the Civic saw / knew I was there and didn't want to accelerate passed, risking pushing out into him.
    So, I hung back enough to see what he would do -- When he stayed wide, I took the pass.

However, in retrospec, I could have waited another 5 secs to make the pass.
    I don't think you did anything wrong either, I was just saying that it was nearly an example of a block pass, but not quite. As stolen apexes go, more like "briefly borrowed".

Liked
    231 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    No. There isn't enough whining as is. Bad drivers should be moved out of open passing group. Solution is not to tell everyone to suck it up and make dangerous passes in HPDE.

how else are Aaron of SV or Terry of AROSC gonna to know who the bad driver is if no one whined.
    We rarely ever encounter "whining". However, we appreciate getting and encourage feedback from drivers. While we (AROSC) always has someone in the tower monitoring drivers, we can see the details of what goes on in every corner. We also get feedback in real time from the corner workers at many events. We will often have a "chat" with drivers that are holding up others, driving odd lines, or doing dangerous things.
    Terry Watson
    AROSC Competition Director

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4