+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: One less miata in Wilson's driveway...

Liked
    140 times

Default One less miata in Wilson's driveway...

Today we cut up Brett's old SM, here is the highlight the cage coming out after hours with the torch and sawzall....

Liked
    1477 times

You guyz are a bunch of phuck nuts . . .
    bellwilliam, bawareca and krazik like this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    299 times

Rip
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    2241 times

It began with this:

Liked
    130 times

hardly seems worth the work. why not just recage the new car? an sm cage isn't -that- much.

besides a good cage would be built into the car and usually in a way that you can't get it back in in 1 pc right?

Liked
    140 times

Quote Originally Posted by krazik View Post
    hardly seems worth the work. why not just recage the new car? an sm cage isn't -that- much.

besides a good cage would be built into the car and usually in a way that you can't get it back in in 1 pc right?
    That maybe true of a custom cage, but for a MiataCage kit they sell a smaller kit that allows you re-attach the feet of the cage in a new car that even ShadeTree types like us
    can make work. What does a new cage run installed these days in a miata?

Liked
    2241 times

It's worth the work because Wilson traded me a bottle of whisky for the car. And not a very good bottle, either.

Liked
    130 times

from tcd? couple grand iirc, historically he had a lot of the main parts pre-done. not sure what moti charges.

I'd never run anything but a custom cage from a solid builder. considering the safety first threads here in thq seems a pre-fab'd or bolt in cage would be very frowned upon*.

* if you really care about maximizing safety. You're way more likely to test your cage than you are fire suit.

Liked
    1429 times

from tcd? couple grand iirc, historically he had a lot of the main parts pre-done. not sure what moti charges.

I'd never run anything but a custom cage from a solid builder. considering the safety first threads here in thq seems a pre-fab'd or bolt in cage would be very frowned upon*.

* if you really care about maximizing safety. You're way more likely to test your cage than you are fire suit.
    What's wrong with pre-fab?

Liked
    34 times

Thought Miata Cage has sold thousands of prefabricated cages to all sorts of Miata's around the country with great results.
    MikeColangelo likes this.

Liked
    130 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    What's wrong with pre-fab?
    \

If you actually pay a shop to put it in, why not just have them bend the tubes too? Any good shop will have done hundreds of sm cages. If you're trying to install the cage yourself.... You could also sew your own suit too.

Liked
    237 times

\

If you actually pay a shop to put it in, why not just have them bend the tubes too? Any good shop will have done hundreds of sm cages. If you're trying to install the cage yourself.... You could also sew your own suit too.
    MiataCage makes one of the best cages available for Miatas. They are widely used in the SM community. I have one in my car. Good stuff.

Liked
    130 times

I didn't say anything about the cage they make. Only question the method it's installed. I'm sure the miatacage is better engineered than a lot of the shade tree cage builders who think a welder and a bender make them an engineer.

Its not unlike if Alpinestars sold the pieces of their suit without thread and instructions how to sew.

I'd let the professionals build the cage.
    Last edited by krazik; 06-16-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Certified Rocket Surgeon Twofer's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by granth View Post
    Today we cut up Brett's old SM, here is the highlight the cage coming out after hours with the torch and sawzall....
    Ewww, there's bits of Miata stuck to your cage.
    krazik likes this.
    2006 Mazda MX-5 Club Spec (MSM Suspension, Enkei RPF1 17x9, Nitto NT-05, AWR Rollbar)
    2012 Mazdaspeed 3 (Intake, test pipe, HPFP upgrade, polyurethane engine mounts, rear sway bar, Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires)
    2010 Mazda 3 (Happy as is)

Trackday videos with engine data: http://www.youtube.com/user/TurboHappyCar

Liked
    6 times

Allrioght, making my trackhq post number 3 just to point out a few things.
    First, Brett, why the great video of something less than flattering? I knew I didn't have abelt on that day, but help a brother out!

Next, a miata cage kit is ~900, for the mista cage kit, and that's without both ends done one most pipes. if someone said, hey, here's a cage kit, with both ends done on every seam, and it's "free", come get it, how many people here would turn it down?

I can make the perch kit for a few hours of time with the chop saw, and weld in this cage with the welder in my garage, and do it in my driveway, without having to drive to San Jose topay someone to do it.

I believe in taking a great free oppurtunity when one comes knocking on your inbox, and did so here. A few hours with the dremel, and I'm way in front of the time it took to put the TIG welded cage in my SpecMiata. And I was at home, so I got to drink beer and laugh with Grant the whole time.

If my time was worth $50/hr billable, a ~$1000 cage is still 20 hrs of work. We are way under that. Yes, install in a car is time left TBD, but it won't be double after car prep. And welders that I know don't do car prep.

For all the haters out there, don't be a hater. We are recycling, and might just paint the next car green to prove it!

Liked
    6 times

And burgoon, prefab is junk, I've driven both in the same car, and a real cage makes a HUGE HUGE HUGE diffeence in rigidity and predictability in handling...

Real cage is a lot of work, means TIG or MIG and lots of extra triangulation than most kits comes with...

Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by granth View Post

The person shooting the video sounds like John Katzenberger (Cliff Clavin, all the Pixar movies). This is meant as a compliment. Made the video funnier to watch.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonSteele View Post
    And burgoon, prefab is junk, I've driven both in the same car, and a real cage makes a HUGE HUGE HUGE diffeence in rigidity and predictability in handling...

Real cage is a lot of work, means TIG or MIG and lots of extra triangulation than most kits comes with...
    What does prefab mean to you? Is the miatacage kit prefab?

Liked
    2241 times

Allrioght, making my trackhq post number 3 just to point out a few things.
    First, Brett, why the great video of something less than flattering? I knew I didn't have abelt on that day, but help a brother out!

Your forgot to take issue with my remark about the cheap scotch you brought. Ten-year-old Glenlivet. I have tools older than that.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    51 times

Technically the cage you bought from Brett for a bottle of cheap scotch is prefab. I mean you found it in the car that way and didn't weld it right?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast