+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Oli's SCCA Run-Offs Diary

Liked
    1477 times

Oli -

More details. How many HoHo's did you eat?
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2216 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Oli -

More details. How many HoHo's did you eat?

No Ho Ho's, yet.

I gotta save those for race day. They are my secret weapon of speed!!!

NA Power, Every hour! andrewdruiz's Avatar
    Liked
    36 times

Good luck, Oli

BTW-- Is your engine 100% stock? Any oiling/valvetrain mods? How many miles/track hours has the motor seen?
    1994 RX-7 R2
    1990 Miata

Liked
    2216 times

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdruiz View Post
    Good luck, Oli

BTW-- Is your engine 100% stock? Any oiling/valvetrain mods? How many miles/track hours has the motor seen?
    I would say the engine us stock from airbox to exhaust headers. I even run the stock GM air filter. They let us run anything we want from the tips of the stock exhaust headers on back. In 2007 they let us remove the cats as they were just getting blown out anyway. I have some mufflers added although the T1 Corvettes usually make sound without them, except at tracks like Laguna.

I put the engine in a year ago September before last year's Run-offs. That engine was strong, but given that I bought the car used I did not want to get embarrassed at the Run-offs if it had something not legal. Sure, I could say "Hey, I bought the car used and I did not know..." but I would risk being labeled a cheater. So this engine has about 20+ practices, qualifiers and races. I have about that many other track days as well, maybe more.

Oli

PS. The computer tune can be changed. My engine has had some work done there, although I think that gets only about 10HP at most. What is more important is the rev limiter raised to 7100. That keeps me from having to shift an extra gear on some short straights.

Last edited by Olitho; 10-04-2008 at 09:24 PM.

Liked
    2216 times

Saturday, October 4th

Today was my last time on the track before the first qualifier on Monday. I got out on track at 8 AM and put in 19 laps. I got to run with several other T1 cars. At first I was right behind Dave Sanders in the #73 car. I finished just behind him last year, althought with another lap or two I am certain I would have passed him. That pass would have gotten me the Hard Charger award. At first he was running bit faster than me, but then he seemed to slow-up and he pointed me by. I followed DiPippo for a couple of laps and then he pointed me by, too.

Then came Zabinsky in the Ferrari 430. He was flying. I could not believe how well his car was sticking in the corners and he seemed to have plenty of HP out of the corners, too. I sure hope he was on new tires and not scrubs or I don't stand a chance against him. Interestingly in the next session he was still fast, but the car seemed to be a handful for him. He is a very assertive and competent passer as I had a front row seat watching him work through traffic. You would not believe the Ferrari paddock the has. A 55' Ferrari red transport with built in big screen on the outside under one of two tents. The rig has 30' awnings on each side with red flooring to boot. Up on top of the rig is an enclosed private spectator viewing area. Additionally he has a 40' fifth wheel and dually truck in Ferrari red. Despite the fully decked out transport, he also has one of the $5,000 per week garages. I don't think a driver like that knows how to spell "scrubs" so I am hoping I can close the gap on him in qualifying and the race.

With that said there are a bunch of other really fast cars and drivers here in T1. I am just hoping to match my finish from last year at this point. Tomorrow I am going to go through the car and inspect everything, clean her up and make sure she is ready to start qualifying week. One of the things I am doing tomorrow is to get some alignment work done by Phoenix Performance and then corner balance her.

The car is in pretty good shape, but I did have a set-back today. After the first session I put on new rotors and calipers and then went out for the second session. The brakes felt great. Z06 calipers will spread slightly over time with heavy racing type use. The new set-up felt crisp. After bedding in the new rotors I put new pads on the front to get them bedded for qualifying and the race. I went out for my third and last session of the day. When I went out I could not resist getting hard into my driving. Just ahead of me were Sanders and DiPippo in Corvettes, Zabinsky in the Ferrari and Lynch in a Viper. After a couple of laps the car started to shake under braking and was worse with heavy braking. I backed off and tried to figure out the cause. I then came in to figure it out.

I should say that Chuck Knox of CalClub arrived at my paddock this morning to help me out. It was sorely needed help in working on the car. Even simple stuff like helping to bleed brakes was invaluable. During the third session Chuck was my radio man keeping track of oil that was dump by a GT car on turns 3, 4, 5 and 6. When we got back to the paddock we dug into the possible causes and it appears the rotors warped slightly. I have never had this happen before so I am still at a loss. We replaced the rotors again and the problem went away. I am sure glad Z06 rotors only cost $35. Do any of you have ideas about what happened? The rotor warp was slight as compared with new rotors spinning on the hubs, but it looked like there was some very slight pad build-up, too.

The paddock area where I am is great. In our area are many SoCal SCCA'ers: Bill Haggerty and crew, Richard Crites and family, Wiley and myself. Across the paddock I saw Schepergerdes, Bill Gilcrease and Dick Roberts. I am sure there are others.

Liked
    1430 times

Oli,

Many people smarter than me have insisted that there is "no such thing as a warped rotor". They claim that it is always brake pad deposits. This can be caused by overheating pads, use of hot brakes while stopped, poor bed-in technique, mixing dis-similar brake compounds (hawk & carbotech), and several other reasons.

Since you just put on new rotors, I would start by pointing the finger at the bedding of the rotors.

You might also consider cleaning off brand new rotors with alcohol prior to installing them.

What pads are you on? If you're on carbon-kevlar like the carbotechs, they can be especially pissy if they aren't bedded correctly.

More info here:
    http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

NA Power, Every hour! andrewdruiz's Avatar
    Liked
    36 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I would say the engine us stock from airbox to exhaust headers. I even run the stock GM air filter. They let us run anything we want from the tips of the stock exhaust headers on back. In 2007 they let us remove the cats as they were just getting blown out anyway. I have some mufflers added although the T1 Corvettes usually make sound without them, except at tracks like Laguna.

I put the engine in a year ago September before last year's Run-offs. That engine was strong, but given that I bought the car used I did not want to get embarrassed at the Run-offs if it had something not legal. Sure, I could say "Hey, I bought the car used and I did not know..." but I would risk being labeled a cheater. So this engine has about 20+ practices, qualifiers and races. I have about that many other track days as well, maybe more.

Oli

PS. The computer tune can be changed. My engine has had some work done there, although I think that gets only about 10HP at most. What is more important is the rev limiter raised to 7100. That keeps me from having to shift an extra gear on some short straights.

That's pretty amazing. Have any of the other Corvette guy's in your class spun their main bearings? I'm surprised they won't let you at least throw in a dry sump/accusump, OP baffle, ported oil pump, dual valve springs, aftermarket timing chain, rod bolts, etc. (non-hp related mods). I've heard of several cases of people exposing their pickup tubes (in both Corvette's and LS1 RX-7's) without proper oiling mods. I'm surprised you haven't exposed the pickup tube and spun a bearing considering the lateral G's you're probably pulling, or cracked a valve spring, etc.

I'm running 7 quarts and an OP baffle (as far as oiling goes) and *hoping* I don't blow up

Anyways, back to the races and good luck!
    1994 RX-7 R2
    1990 Miata

Liked
    2216 times

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdruiz View Post
    That's pretty amazing. Have any of the other Corvette guy's in your class spun their main bearings? I'm surprised they won't let you at least throw in a dry sump/accusump, OP baffle, ported oil pump, dual valve springs, aftermarket timing chain, rod bolts, etc. (non-hp related mods). I've heard of several cases of people exposing their pickup tubes (in both Corvette's and LS1 RX-7's) without proper oiling mods. I'm surprised you haven't exposed the pickup tube and spun a bearing considering the lateral G's you're probably pulling, or cracked a valve spring, etc.

I'm running 7 quarts and an OP baffle (as far as oiling goes) and *hoping* I don't blow up

Anyways, back to the races and good luck!
    Accusumps are allowed, but most folks don't run them. We do have auxillary coolers for engine oil, transmission and differentials that many drivers run. None of the other modifications you mention are allowed or used by any of the drivers.

I have never seen an engine failure, yet in practice, qualifying, racing or track days on powerplants if stock.

Most people do run one quart over though. Some don't....

The new LS3 motor has had some problems in racing applications, but GM modified the oil pan baffling to aid in oil pick-up under heavy G loads.

Liked
    2216 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Oli,

Many people smarter than me have insisted that there is "no such thing as a warped rotor". They claim that it is always brake pad deposits. This can be caused by overheating pads, use of hot brakes while stopped, poor bed-in technique, mixing dis-similar brake compounds (hawk & carbotech), and several other reasons.

Since you just put on new rotors, I would start by pointing the finger at the bedding of the rotors.

You might also consider cleaning off brand new rotors with alcohol prior to installing them.

What pads are you on? If you're on carbon-kevlar like the carbotechs, they can be especially pissy if they aren't bedded correctly.

More info here:
    http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
    Yeah, I have read that, too. I was reluctant to believe they were really warped, but when I spun the rotors on the hub with a pointer just touching the old rotors they did have a slight warp. I think there was some accompanying pad build-up, too. The new rotors did not have this malignment.

When I changed to new rotors and test drove the car it did not have the problem.

I think I went out too hard and agressively on the new pads....

Liked
    0 times

Wow, that Ferrari camp sounds impressive. I guess it is right that racing is the only sport that turns money into noise.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3
    JC3D // Racecars and Keyframes // 996 Spec

Liked
    0 times

Next week is qualifying. I will only get on track once per day on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. Saturday I race.

Yesterday and tomorrow are practice. Tomorrow I get four 35 minute sessions. Yesterday I got five 40 minute sessions!
    Oh, I see. Instead of giving you one measly session every day they give you a bunch of sessions on ceatain days. It still makes it much easier to learn a new track like that though. A 35-40 minute session is plenty of time to make a small adjustment on the car and go back out. I like the new runoffs format much better than the old one.

Liked
    2216 times

Today's qualifier was in the rain. I came in 8 of 18. We lost two T1 Corvettes in practice yesterday, the new ones with the LS3 powerplant... blown engines. They are wickedly fast, but they have oiling problems....

I am going to get something to eat now. I will post a report late tonight or in the AM.

oli

Liked
    1430 times

Today's qualifier was in the rain. I came in 8 of 18. We lost two T1 Corvettes in practice yesterday, the new ones with the LS3 powerplant... blown engines. They are wickedly fast, but they have oiling problems....

I am going to get something to eat now. I will post a report late tonight or in the AM.

oli
    Nicely done O! Way to keep the car in one piece!

Liked
    34 times

That is a big improvement from last year's start. Now just pass 1/2 the amount of cars as you did last year, and you will take victory.

Liked
    1477 times

We lost two T1 Corvettes in practice yesterday, the new ones with the LS3 powerplant... blown engines.
    oli
    Ouch. Those are pretty much brand new cars. Do you know if those are the ones with 430 bhp stock?
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1430 times

Ouch. Those are pretty much brand new cars. Do you know if those are the ones with 430 bhp stock?
    Thats what an LS3 makes at the crank, yes.

Liked
    2216 times

Yup, that is the 436 HP powerplant. Around long sweeping turns to the left they run out of oil at the pick-up point and go Ka Boom!

Turn three at HPT is kind of like turn two at WSIR except we turn to the left. It is slighly less up-hill than WSIR turn two and a bit slower, but in most regards a very similar mirror image. Those engines starve for oil and then BAM!

Liked
    558 times

Go Oli!

btw

http://www.livetiming.net/SCCA/Runoffs/LiveTiming.asp

will let us track Oli's laptimes live!

Steve

Liked
    2216 times

Monday was a fairly treacherous day for qualifying for most. The early session qualifiers got to go out on a dry track, but around lunch time a nasty storm rolled in. They rain hit suddenly and hard. I was just changing up my wheels to rain tires when the rain hit. We all saw the clouds and lighting coming so we new rain tires were inevitable. Chuck Knox was helping me swap out tires when the rain hit. Imagine changing wheels standing in your shower with the water turned up full high. That is what it was like. I was soaked in 60 seconds. I changed clothes and Chuck and I ran to grab a bite to eat as I did not qualify for another three hours.

When I got back it was still raining, but not quite as hard. Everything from the paddock to the track was swamped. I am sure glad I don't have one of the paddock spots on the grass. Some of those had standing water in them.

When I went out to grid the rain had almost stopped, but the track was still puddled and had running water in other places. My goal was not to go out and get pole position. With two more qualifying sessions I am sure we will get dry track time that will obliterate yesterday's lap times. Some drivers opted to not even go out and run. I decided to go out. I wanted to see where the water collects on the track, where it runs across the track and which lines are fastest in the rain. I did this as I don't get to run in the rain often and this puts me at a disadvantage to some drivers from other regions that race in the rain more frequently. Plus if it is raining on race day, I don't want that to be my first time running that track in the wet.

Tech inspection was fairly thorough today. They pulled everyone in and checked suspension point pick-ups, shocks, tires, compared VINs to the records, hooked-up a diagnostic computer and took codes and more. I passed as did everyone else to my knowledge.

Our qualifying session was rather uneventful. Most people were cautious as they don't want to wad up the car on a wet day where times likely won't count anyway. Only two spins the whole session and both of those were by Scott Tucker in the Ferrari who is currently gridded in the #2 spot. One spin was just ahead of me in the water running across the track between turns one and two. He easily could have hit a wall, but did not. If he did, I bet he has another one stashed in that 55' transport or the 40' fifth wheel they brought.

Sunday practice was in the dry, but not so forgiving for a couple of T2 cars. A very nice looking T2 BMW was about 1 second behind the Buttermore T1 Corvette when the LS3 motor gave way. He hit the oil and spun and hit the wall at turn nine. It is sad that he missed the tire barrier by about six feet and hit plain concrete. The driver is OK, but the car looks to be wasted. That is a long tire barrier, but he needed about 10 more feet of tire. Then a Showroom Stock car blew a motor and the T2 Mazda RX8 of Tim Hund hit the oil and went into the wall. I don't recall which turn, but his car is out for good, too.

Both the T1 Corvettes that lost their engines are using the new LS3 436 HP powerplant. Around long sweeping turns to the left they run out of oil at the pick-up point and go Ka Boom! Turn three at HPT is kind of like turn two at WSIR except we turn to the left. It is slighly less up-hill than WSIR turn two and a bit slower, but in most regards a very similar mirror image. Those engines starve for oil and then BAM! The cars are kicking butt on the C5 cars, so our only chance is attrition of the LS3 powerplants.

The Ferraris are fast as is the Viper of Jim Lynch. Tomorrow's qualifying should be interesting to see what happens if the track is dry.

Oli

Liked
    977 times

The cars are kicking butt on the C5 cars, so our only chance is attrition of the LS3 powerplants.

Oli
    That sounds really sad for some reason. How could the SCCA not have added weight or a restrictor on these cars? Wouldn't it be somewhat obvious that the C6's were going to be faster than the C5's?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast