+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oli's 2008 SCCA T1 Run-Offs Race at Heartland Park Topeka

Liked
    2216 times

Default NEW - Oli's 2008 SCCA T1 Run-Offs Race at Heartland Park Topeka

This post is a continuation and conclusion to the thread at this link that details my daily diary of the 2008 SCCA Run-offs:
    Oli's SCCA Run-Offs Diary

Here is the video from my October 12, 2008 SCCA Run-offs T1 Race at Heartland Park Topeka in Kansas.

This race airs on Speed Channel on 12/31/2008 at 1 PM EST.

I started 13th and finished 8th earning the Sunoco Hard Charger Award for moving up more places than anyone else.

I was later bumped back three spots for passing under a standing yellow flag. I did not see it until too late.

Many thanks go out to my sponsors, my crew of Kristjan Thordarson and Chuck Knox and especially my patient and loving wife Teresa.

I look forward to several of you forum members joining me in the 2009 race season!

http://www.trackhq.com/forums/photop...5848/ppuser/49

Last edited by Olitho; 10-19-2008 at 05:50 PM.

Liked
    1430 times

Great save Oli!

Are you thinking about making an extra trip out to RA to practice?

Liked
    0 times

Great driving Oli. It's going to be fun next season racing with you, which will probably be more often due to POC changing class configuration around.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3
    JC3D // Racecars and Keyframes // 996 Spec

Liked
    2216 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Great save Oli!

Are you thinking about making an extra trip out to RA to practice?
    I have been invited to come out early and run with one of the guys out of Chicago. He said I could leave my rig at his place and fly home and then come back for the Run-Offs.

I would behoove me to race there early since most of the other Run-Offs veterans have been racing the June Sprints there for awhile.

Oli

Liked
    558 times

OTOH, for the cost of doing the Sprints, you could probably build the world's most awesome iRacing setup and run a million laps in simulation...might be worth thinking about.

Steve

Liked
    977 times

Driving looks good Oli! I just noticed - no HANS device?

Liked
    22 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    This post is a continuation and conclusion to the thread at this link that details my daily diary of the 2008 SCCA Run-offs:
    Oli's SCCA Run-Offs Diary

Here is the video from my October 12, 2008 SCCA Run-offs T1 Race at Heartland Park Topeka in Kansas.

This race airs on Speed Channel on 12/31/2008 at 1 PM EST.

I started 13th and finished 8th earning the Sunoco Hard Charger Award for moving up more places than anyone else.

I was later bumped back three spots for passing under a standing yellow flag. I did not see it until too late.

Many thanks go out to my sponsors, my crew of Kristjan Thordarson and Chuck Knox and especially my patient and loving wife Teresa.

I look forward to several of you forum members joining me in the 2009 race season!

http://www.trackhq.com/forums/photop...5848/ppuser/49

Nice job all around from driving to surving and especially the video work. The best I have seen from you so far.

Louie will be proud of you
    Corvette Specialty C6
    Life is like a race, the best times win!

Liked
    1430 times

I have been invited to come out early and run with one of the guys out of Chicago. He said I could leave my rig at his place and fly home and then come back for the Run-Offs.

I would behoove me to race there early since most of the other Run-Offs veterans have been racing the June Sprints there for awhile.

Oli

Gosh, that is an awesome deal. You head out there, drive the car as hard as you want since its not the main event, get lots of practice...

Then the best part. You fly in for runoffs FRESH! No marathon slog right before you drive yourself to death on the practice days.

You get to split up the hauls... that is a fantastic deal! Only catch is you might have to add another tire rack in the trailer, or order more tires to the Chicago guys place.

Liked
    1477 times

Congratulations, Mr. Hard Charger! (Do you get to keep the award even though they knocked you back 3 places?)

What strikes me about the video is how calm you are in the most important race of your year and how smooth your inputs are. I would be flailing about all over the place.

That track actually looks kinda boring -- not much in the way of elevation changes, for one thing. I think Road America will be a much better venue for the SCCA Nationals.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2216 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    OTOH, for the cost of doing the Sprints, you could probably build the world's most awesome iRacing setup and run a million laps in simulation...might be worth thinking about.

Steve
    The iRacing guys had an enclosed trailer there with two top-of-the-line simulators within. Kristjan spent the better part of one afternoon over there driving them.

I think I might get one later this year primarily just to learn Road America. Plus, it will be a good way to keep Kristjan and his friends around my house instead of wandering around doing whatever 14 year-olds do... not that I ever did anything I shouldn't.....

Oli

Liked
    2216 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Driving looks good Oli! I just noticed - no HANS device?
    Yes, I do drive with a HANS. I have since before I started racing.

I will have to go back and look at the video. The halo part of my seat probably obscures the view. I think my fiddling on my far side of my helmet at the very beginning of the video is me making sure there are no binds in the strap.

Liked
    2216 times

Quote Originally Posted by vetteguy2005 View Post
    Nice job all around from driving to surving and especially the video work. The best I have seen from you so far.

Louie will be proud of you

Thanks.

Your feedback actually raises a question I want to ask formally. How can I make the video experience better and more entertaining?

I attempted to make a sort of video-log of the event even though I only got two laps. I would have liked to get footage from around the track and the paddock to enrichen the experience, but largely crewing by myself the first part of the week and then some volunteer help from Chuck and Kristjan in the latter part of the week I did not get time to do so.

Everyone please chime in and give me your thoughts for next time.

Oli

Liked
    2216 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Gosh, that is an awesome deal. You head out there, drive the car as hard as you want since its not the main event, get lots of practice...

Then the best part. You fly in for runoffs FRESH! No marathon slog right before you drive yourself to death on the practice days.

You get to split up the hauls... that is a fantastic deal! Only catch is you might have to add another tire rack in the trailer, or order more tires to the Chicago guys place.
    Hoosier brings down a couple of big rigs full of tires to the Run-offs. We are allowed to place our tire orders online before the race and they bring down whatever we want. The best part is we are not obligated to buy the tires if we don't need them. Kumho does something similar as I am sure a couple fo the other tire makers.

So I don't need to actually bring any tires with me.

Liked
    2216 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Congratulations, Mr. Hard Charger! (Do you get to keep the award even though they knocked you back 3 places?)

What strikes me about the video is how calm you are in the most important race of your year and how smooth your inputs are. I would be flailing about all over the place.

That track actually looks kinda boring -- not much in the way of elevation changes, for one thing. I think Road America will be a much better venue for the SCCA Nationals.
    Yes, I got to keep the award and the check. You guys didn't know there was a check, too....

Thanks for the compliment on the smooth driving. I actually had not begun to really start pushing. I started doing that shortly after the video cut out, but I was also trying not to overdrive the tires. Part of the reason I moved up and stayed out some spins and hits in the race was because I was preserving my tires a bit more than most of the other drivers.

T1 cars are heavy. They are all over 3200lbs easily. Some, like the Vipers, weigh in around 3700lbs. Both the Vipers spun in front of me. The Lynch Viper definitely spun because is tires were cooked off. I could tell by watching his car. I wish my video was running because his spin happened after 50 feet in front of me. They Lynch Viper is the one that got spun first lap before turn one. He got right back on track and drove like a mad man. He almost hit me twice trying to pass me. The second time I did not turn in at 10 because he would have hit me so I fell in behind him. I just followed him closely and waited for a mistake as the car was all over the place. He did not even make it one lap before he spun off at turn 8.

The 89 car I am following in the video was losing his tires too when the standing yellow flag came out.

Even in a 40 minute race managing the resources of the car, especially the tires, is important I am finding. At Road America next year managing the brakes is going to be key as well I hear.

Liked
    1477 times

Thanks.

How can I make the video experience better and more entertaining?

Oli
    I'd skip the part with you sitting on the grid waiting to go out on track.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2216 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I'd skip the part with you sitting on the grid waiting to go out on track.
    OK, thanks for the feedback. I wanted some filler video between the short narratives to make it a little more interesting rather than just telling a long written story before the race actually starts. That was my reasoning.

Liked
    1477 times

OK, thanks for the feedback. I wanted some filler video between the short narratives to make it a little more interesting rather than just telling a long written story before the race actually starts. That was my reasoning.

I don't have any sound on my computer at work so I'm just looking at silent video.

Liked
    977 times

Yes, I do drive with a HANS. I have since before I started racing.

I will have to go back and look at the video. The halo part of my seat probably obscures the view. I think my fiddling on my far side of my helmet at the very beginning of the video is me making sure there are no binds in the strap.
    Interesting, I couldn't see the anchors and from your range of head motion I didn't think you had it on.

I recommend iRacing btw, I've been playing around with it periodically and it's pretty impressive!

Liked
    2216 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Interesting, I couldn't see the anchors and from your range of head motion I didn't think you had it on.

I recommend iRacing btw, I've been playing around with it periodically and it's pretty impressive!
    Regarding my range of head motion, I installed the new sliding teather strap a couple of months ago and it definitely provides freer head motion. One of my routines when I get strapped in is to turn my head fully from side to side to make sure there is no binding, kinkage or twists. Leisure Suit Louie likes it that way, but I not me....

Liked
    22 times

Thanks.

Your feedback actually raises a question I want to ask formally. How can I make the video experience better and more entertaining?

I attempted to make a sort of video-log of the event even though I only got two laps. I would have liked to get footage from around the track and the paddock to enrichen the experience, but largely crewing by myself the first part of the week and then some volunteer help from Chuck and Kristjan in the latter part of the week I did not get time to do so.

Everyone please chime in and give me your thoughts for next time.

Oli
    I am no expert at this and I would like to learn and know the same answers to make my videos better too.

Maybe have more outside the car shots with someone else working the camera and splice them into the overall finished product. I like your ideas about filming the entrance to the track and paddock and sort of tell a story of the weekend or the race experience.

Maybe voice over narration is an option to talk about what you were doing and thinking during the race?

A few screams or "oh ****'s' now and then would be hillarious

The sponsors definetly appreciate getting their spot and I am ok with that part. A necessary thing to include if you want some help.

Overall I think you do a great job of it.
    Corvette Specialty C6
    Life is like a race, the best times win!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast