+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: NSX Crash @ Buttonwillow this weekend

Liked
    2165 times

Mike and BAWARECA, those are great ideas. I will create an "Oli's Premium Tow Package" membership category for the more discerning towees.
    MikeColangelo and bawareca like this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2243 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    announcing on pa is always a struggle with everybody. best way I've seen is to run color flags somewhere visible to the track.
    you run flags to group order. so if red is on right now, blue is next, white it after that. you would see red flag, with blue flag behind it. and white flag behind blue flag. so forth.
    POC does it that way, and it works pretty well.

Liked
    2243 times

Quote Originally Posted by ELO168 View Post
    No passing under yellow until next corner station without yellow.
    It does not matter how many laps the flag been out.
    This.

Liked
    26 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Not always.
    Check flag rules of your sanctioning body.
    SCCA for example. Standing yellow no passing until past the emergency area. That is typically before the next station not displaying yellow
    Carl, you can try to pass before next corner station without yellow and see what Scca will do.
    Why I know? Did it at Wsir and got chewed at. Only reason did it was right on another car butt and he decided to brake check on me. Had to pull out and pass right after the standing yellow that been out for few laps.
    http://touringcarclub.net/

Liked
    26 times

Scca consider after the emergency area is next corner station.
    Pure EvoIX likes this.

Liked
    143 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I am bringing my pickup next time and I am waiting trackside. Whenever anyone needs a tow I am only charging $40. I bet I can clear north of $1,000 per day there.
    Bingo!. Give beginners laptimers for free. Let them run any time trial competition they like without any experience. Let them smash up their car. Then charge them $50 as a consolation prize. Genius!
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    226 times

Quote Originally Posted by kornerz View Post
    The yellow was standing, not waving. it had been standing for 5 laps. We all knew why the yellow was out. Disabled s2k off track. I was nowhere near making contact, never lost traction and never lost control. I did make the pass at the very end of the straight right before turn in, but honestly if you have been driving for 20 years you should know thats the only way miatas can be driven. If that session was "scary" i dont know what to tell you. I appolagized
    How do you know that there wasn't a new situation? That maybe someone else had gone off track since the last time you were through there? The track rules that day were no passing under yellow. Apology accepted, but you still shouldn't have been planning a pass in the corner.
    Pure EvoIX likes this.
    Terry Watson
    AROSC Competition Director

Liked
    2165 times

Carl, you can try to pass before next corner station without yellow and see what Scca will do.
    Why I know? Did it at Wsir and got chewed at. Only reason did it was right on another car butt and he decided to brake check on me. Had to pull out and pass right after the standing yellow that been out for few laps.
    As one who has 12 SCCA races under his belt since just January I concur with FatBillyBob. If there is a standing yellow, then you are right. If it is a local yellow, as soon as you are perpendicular to the incident and if there is no yellow at the next flag station then it is back to racing.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2283 times

Perhaps you should explain the difference between standing and local yellow
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1486 times

Other conditions? Like I know they would get mad if you are on someone butt in a yellow zone where legally you can't pass but are aggressively preparing to pass by being on butt. Then if you use the excuse other guy brake check it is already a yellow zone they give you no sympathy because it is a caution zone not a 10/10ths zone but not pass. I do not know your situation but I can see how you can get in trouble but technically legal. you may have got scscrewed like rob. I was taught the AROSC way just like you first stated but know the SCCA way I quoted is real. You can see exact wording in gcr section 6.1.1 IIRC.
    Last edited by fatbillybob; 07-04-2014 at 09:17 PM.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    1486 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Perhaps you should explain the difference between standing and local yellow
    For SCCA: three kinds of yellow. Standing. Waving. All stations

Imo standing could be local. Waving great danger no passing until past emergency area. Car could be in racing line. Yellow all stations no passing entire course except slow moving emergency vehicles or competitors significantly off the pace like with a mechanical trying to get back to pits.

Liked
    1486 times

Yellow is the most common flag I see And still so much confusion. Red is a real problem. Many clubs handle it different. Being awake for the driver's meeting is really important. When in doubt default to the most conservative ruleset. I don't think that too many of us get anything more than a plastic trophy or maybe a couple of tires. If you are so strapped for cash that you need to take extra risks for a couple of tires you need to change to a cheaper sport.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    1477 times

fatbillybob -

I guess posting here was more important than watching the 4th of July fireworks . . .
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 07-04-2014 at 09:30 PM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    26 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Other conditions? Like I know they would get mad if you are on someone butt in a yellow zone where legally you can't pass but are aggressively preparing to pass by being on butt. Then if you use the excuse other guy brake check it is already a yellow zone they give you no sympathy because it is a caution zone not a 10/10ths zone but not pass. I do not know your situation but I can see how you can get in trouble but technically legal. you may have got scscrewed like rob. I was taught the AROSC way just like you first stated but know the SCCA way I quoted is real. You can see exact wording in gcr section 6.1.1 IIRC.

Not in the danger zone.
    Was on his butt then got into the danger zone.
    Driver decided to break a "little" earlier

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    I really hope XS takes these incidents seriously and starts to monitor not only its beginner group, but also the higher run groups better. I want to see them run a safe ship.
    But then half of our most active threads wouldn't exist, and that doesn't sound like any fun
    MikeColangelo and slodrew like this.

Liked
    1 times

Bumping a very old thread, but wanted to make people aware of the event I attended. We were running SOW CW and was charged 150 to tow off the track because of a minor mech failure. I was also told another driver came off the back straight before the off camber left, hit a hay bale, flip and totaled his car, then was charged 500 bucks to tow his car off and replace the hay bale he hit which caused the flip in the first place. In the end, the guy was never even towed off the track. His car was left there and was almost hit again after another driver came barreling down in the same direction. At the end of the day the driver who hit the hay bale had to have a private tow company (probably AAA) drive onto the track and put his car on a flat bed to be taken away. It seems like XS is just charging people random amounts they feel are appropriate. Yes your initial track day is cheaper, lets say 100 bucks, compared to other 160 dollar days. On the day I went, it wasn't the 80 listed on their site, more like 130 people out there...I had almost no open space and traffic all day.

My friends as well as I have all stopped running with extreme speed. Our track day was packed and full of traffic. They charge you what seems like random amounts of money they deem appropriate for services that are included in the price, and do random things like place hay bales in positions that would easily flip a car.

Here's a link to a video of the guy flipping. If you look at the top left corner of the screen you'll see him suddenly pop up and start rolling.
    Streets of Willow high speed crash and flip at chicaine - YouTube

If anyone from XS wants to chime in and clarify anything I may have misconstrued, I'm all ears. The people were very nice and accommodating, but IMO charging for tow is just nickel and diming and insult to injury especially after a big wreck like above.

Liked
    115 times

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Bumping a very old thread....
    There was a long discussion of this crash, and how the day was run, back in May when it happened: Crash footage from Streets Of Willow sunday. Cartwheeling off the back straight

Liked
    366 times

XS is to track events what Spirits is to Airlines.

Those who have had the misfortune of flying Spirits will know my pain.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    977 times

What the hell is Spirits?

Liked
    366 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    What the hell is Spirits?
    Cheap airline that has low ticket cost but then nickel and dimes you for everything. Pay to pick your seat, pay to sit in it, pay to check in a bag, pay to breathe, etc.
    Do you understand?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast