+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: NSX Crash @ Buttonwillow this weekend

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    I really hope XS takes these incidents seriously and starts to monitor not only its beginner group, but also the higher run groups better. I want to see them run a safe ship.
    Just Darwin doing his thing

Liked
    855 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I feel pretty confident that NSX is totaled. And I own one.
    I can only imagine the tangled web that will follow regarding the insurance claim - and the sad sack report to wifey.
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 07-01-2014 at 06:33 PM.

Liked
    366 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Just Darwin doing his thing
    Darwins been getting owned by safety nazis for decades now. Poor guys probably rolling in his grave. Stupid people everywhere....
    Do you understand?

Liked
    139 times

If XS really charges it is something new.... Possibly a charge by the track? Unfortunately, I made an error and had to get towed at an XS event (at SoW), and there was NO charge for the tow.

Liked
    299 times

I can confirm it is something new. New policy.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    143 times

When you add a $50 tow charge to a cheap $95 event it makes their events expensive. A SOW event can become $145 or event $190. You can't predict or prevent breakdowns or accidents. I would rather go straight off track than try to save it. Someone else trying to save $50 can end up rolling their car by trying to keep it on track.

As an event organizer they should eat the cost of the tow. They already need to have a safety crew onsite anyway. This is a cheesy way to try and nickle and dime drivers. If this policy remains in effect then I wont run with them again. It's a shame because I had planned to do 3 upcoming events with them.

If they really want to prevent accidents then they should stop giving free lap timers to every new driver that signs up without a hint of car control.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    97 times

If you're worried about $50 you shouldn't be involved in any kind of motorsport competition. Anyway, the point is that when you have a broken down/crashed car, a ruined day, AND you have to pay $50, it just rubs the wrong way.

Liked
    299 times

Fair and good points. I do hope they reconsider their strategy with this towing thing.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    139 times

Quote Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX View Post
    I can confirm it is something new. New policy.
    A few weeks ago when there was that bad crash at an XS event and everyone was saying that they needed to do something to keep the cars on the track. I am guessing that they implemented this to motivate people to drive more within their limits. Now everyone is complaining about having to pay extra if they need a tow..... Which shouldn't happen very often. Any recommendations on a better way of handling the "too many crashes" issue?

Although I live in California, I have been lucky enough to do track days with different groups all over the country (Daytona, Road America, and Lime Rock, in addition to the CA tracks) and all of the organizers do it a little differently. Each have there good points and bad. Although I agree that the XS events would be better if they could keep on schedule better and consistently announce run groups with 15 minute warnings ( these issues are frustrating)....there are some things they do very well. The best of which is that when you buy in bulk it considerably reduce the cost of seat time. With the quantity I purchased track time is less that $55 / day.... And I really appriciate that they are helping to keep my cost down in this expensive hobby. Just my 2 cents....
    Last edited by CharleyH; 07-03-2014 at 02:54 PM.

Liked
    115 times

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyH View Post
    The best of which is that when you buy in bulk the considerably reduce the cost of seat time. With the quantity I purchased track time is less that $55 / day.... And I really appriciate that they are helping to keep my cost down in this expensive hobby. Just my 2 cents....
    I also bought a "coupon pack" which was just way too cheap to pass up.

Announcing run groups consistently seems like an easy thing to fix and it would really make a lot of people happier (myself included).

Liked
    2283 times

announcing on pa is always a struggle with everybody. best way I've seen is to run color flags somewhere visible to the track.
    you run flags to group order. so if red is on right now, blue is next, white it after that. you would see red flag, with blue flag behind it. and white flag behind blue flag. so forth.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    226 times

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyH View Post
    Any recommendations on a better way of handling the "too many crashes" issue?
    From what I have seen at a couple of their events, they don't do much "policing" of the drivers. Wholesale disregard of flags at the last event with them. All kinds of passing under waving yellow. A guy who was driving my car almost got hit by a guy passing under waving yellow. He followed the guy into the pits and asked him why he did that. The response was "I was frustrated". It was an open passing session, and my buddy, who has been racing for over 20 years in every kind of car imaginable up to 430 Challenge cars, said it was the most dangerous track session he had ever been in.

If you don't black flag offenders and smack their knuckles, they will keep on doing stupid & dangerous things.

I'll probably catch a lot of crap for this!
    Terry Watson
    AROSC Competition Director

Liked
    1486 times

I think paying for towing is just plain wrong. But if XS is going to do it are they offering a buy 5 tows get 1 free?

Liked
    16 times

Quote Originally Posted by Slaysman View Post
    From what I have seen at a couple of their events, they don't do much "policing" of the drivers. Wholesale disregard of flags at the last event with them. All kinds of passing under waving yellow. A guy who was driving my car almost got hit by a guy passing under waving yellow. He followed the guy into the pits and asked him why he did that. The response was "I was frustrated". It was an open passing session, and my buddy, who has been racing for over 20 years in every kind of car imaginable up to 430 Challenge cars, said it was the most dangerous track session he had ever been in.

If you don't black flag offenders and smack their knuckles, they will keep on doing stupid & dangerous things.

I'll probably catch a lot of crap for this!
    Let me guess, this was at acs? That other driver was me. The yellow was standing, not waving. it had been standing for 5 laps. We all knew why the yellow was out. Disabled s2k off track. I was nowhere near making contact, never lost traction and never lost control. I did make the pass at the very end of the straight right before turn in, but honestly if you have been driving for 20 years you should know thats the only way miatas can be driven. If that session was "scary" i dont know what to tell you. I appolagized
    99 miata-tein flex, RB sway bars
    streets cw 1:27.1
    Streets ccw 1:27.8
    Htm cw 1:01.8
    big willow 1:34.6
    Bw13 cw 2:00.8

2006 miata daily
    Big willow 1:35.08

Liked
    2165 times

I am bringing my pickup next time and I am waiting trackside. Whenever anyone needs a tow I am only charging $40. I bet I can clear north of $1,000 per day there.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    26 times

Quote Originally Posted by kornerz View Post
    Let me guess, this was at acs? That other driver was me. The yellow was standing, not waving. it had been standing for 5 laps. We all knew why the yellow was out. Disabled s2k off track. I was nowhere near making contact, never lost traction and never lost control. I did make the pass at the very end of the straight right before turn in, but honestly if you have been driving for 20 years you should know thats the only way miatas can be driven. If that session was "scary" i dont know what to tell you. I appolagized
    No passing under yellow until next corner station without yellow.
    It does not matter how many laps the flag been out.
    http://touringcarclub.net/

Liked
    1486 times

Quote Originally Posted by ELO168 View Post
    Not always.
    Check flag rules of your sanctioning body.
    SCCA for example. Standing yellow no passing until past the emergency area. That is typically before the next station not displaying yellow
    bellwilliam and SteveLevin like this.

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I am bringing my pickup next time and I am waiting trackside. Whenever anyone needs a tow I am only charging $40. I bet I can clear north of $1,000 per day there.
    With that monstrous motorhome of yours you can offer accommodations too
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    237 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    With that monstrous motorhome of yours you can offer accommodations too
    Yes, and include an icy cold beer and cookies, too!
    Olitho and Force McCocken like this.

Liked
    116 times

Quote Originally Posted by ELO168 View Post
    I was assisting in giving the driver meeting and I stressed the caution flag. I always test everyone as to when you can pass when the yellow is out. Based on what the driver just explained knowing the rules from the driver meeting, stating that is how you drive a miata, if it were an event that I would have hosted, his weekend would have just ended!. Listen to the rules regardless of your experience or venue. The driver with 20 yrs exp did the right thing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast