+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: NSX Crash @ Buttonwillow this weekend

Liked
    70 times

Default NSX Crash @ Buttonwillow this weekend

I was not there to witness it, but sources claim that the guy was an "ego driver", was all over the place, and had almost come into contact with a few other drivers while re-entering the track after an off. Looks to be before sunset, after esses?
    -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

Liked
    367 times

Looks like tirewall before the straight. Sucks about the car - pretty sure it's done. (Or at least has frame damage) These cars are frail.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    977 times

Maybe a good candidate for a racecar chassis!

Liked
    299 times

Yea looks like a 2 off after esses with steering angle and hooked it into the wall on the inside. Rookie mistake.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    1477 times

Shame about the NSX. It definitely looks like toast to me. Was the driver OK?
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    61 times

Ouch, once they are crunched like that they are usually done for good. This is the reason im building another track car and my NSX is going into semi-retirement. What kind of wheels did the car have?

Liked
    367 times

Quote Originally Posted by illwillem View Post
    Ouch, once they are crunched like that they are usually done for good. This is the reason im building another track car and my NSX is going into semi-retirement. What kind of wheels did the car have?
    I don't think we've formally met but I have driven against you once or twice at a VTEC event - buuuut....

.....please tell me it's an S2000 :P
    Do you understand?

Liked
    115 times

My first day at BRP, the organizer warned us about that stretch in particular as perhaps the only spot where you could find a wall. Too bad about the car.

Liked
    61 times

Ah, yes. I was probably driving my 'daily driver' RSX at the time. New build is SORTA an s2000.. build blog here: iLL viLLain.

Liked
    0 times

And the NSX driver got charged $50 to get the car towed out. No joke, anyone else hear that Extreme Speed charges $50 to tow your car off the track?

Liked
    2 times

I was there that day, and the NSX in that picture was in the "beginners" group.
    After that NSX crashed there was a white FR-S that crashed into the fences left of the Lost Hill and got towed out of the course.
    Those 2 crashes happened within 10~15 minutes of each other.

As for XS charging $50 for tow out, yes it is true, as one of the driver in my run group got stuck inside the riverside after a spinout and they towed him out then asked for $50 for towing him out. I don't know if drivers of NSX and FR-S paid them for the tow but my friend ended up not paying I believe..
    05 S2000

Liked
    2265 times

I know those cars have aluminum chassis and all, but that car looks salvageable to me. It won't be the same, but it's likely not totaled.

Liked
    143 times

$50 for a tow?

It's that charged by the track or extremespeed?
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    70 times

XS charges $50 to tow off track? That seems pretty unethical to me..
    -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by helothere View Post
    I was there that day, and the NSX in that picture was in the "beginners" group.
    After that NSX crashed there was a white FR-S that crashed into the fences left of the Lost Hill and got towed out of the course.
    Those 2 crashes happened within 10~15 minutes of each other.

As for XS charging $50 for tow out, yes it is true, as one of the driver in my run group got stuck inside the riverside after a spinout and they towed him out then asked for $50 for towing him out. I don't know if drivers of NSX and FR-S paid them for the tow but my friend ended up not paying I believe..
    One more reason not to run with XS. I'm not a fan of their safety protocols either.

Liked
    1430 times

Quote Originally Posted by DutchOven View Post
    XS charges $50 to tow off track? That seems pretty unethical to me..
    Maybe, maybe not. During the tow you're costing everyone else track time that's worth a whole lot more than $50...

Liked
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by illwillem View Post
    RPF1's. I believe I overheard the driver say he had just gotten the car. It certainly looked immaculate in person. What a shame.

A friend of mine threw a rod and was charged 50 to be towed out by Xtremespeed because they used their own truck and staff tow it out. Not sure how I feel about track time lost being a proper justification. Every event I have attended of theirs seems to run very off schedule regardless of wether or not there are incidences on track.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by deadohiosky1984 View Post
    RPF1's. I believe I overheard the driver say he had just gotten the car. It certainly looked immaculate in person. What a shame.

A friend of mine threw a rod and was charged 50 to be towed out by Xtremespeed because they used their own truck and staff tow it out. Not sure how I feel about track time lost being a proper justification. Every event I have attended of theirs seems to run very off schedule regardless of wether or not there are incidences on track.
    It's true, XS is always off schedule, and worse, they very often fail to announce run groups. I've lost count of how many sessions and partial sessions I've lost because of this.
    I think charging for a tow is reasonable. It's creates an incentive for people to keep their cars in working order and not screw up too badly. It also puts the cost on the people using the service, rather that distributing it to everyone else equally. There is a reason XS is MUCH less expensive than its competitors.
    bawareca likes this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    226 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    I think charging for a tow is reasonable. It's creates an incentive for people to keep their cars in working order and not screw up too badly. It also puts the cost on the people using the service, rather that distributing it to everyone else equally. There is a reason XS is MUCH less expensive than its competitors.
    So if I am on the track, and some idiot T-bones me through no fault of my own, and my car is disabled, I'm supposed to pay to get towed in? Similarly, we require Fire & Rescue at all our events. We don't charge individual participants for their services, however, the costs are included in the entry fees.

I think XS is the only club that has this policy, although I think Luc from NCRC will charge you for a tow if you run out of gas on the track.
    ELO168 likes this.
    Terry Watson
    AROSC Competition Director

Liked
    299 times

ehhh I think if you get T-boned...$50 is least of your worries. Just sayin'.

Would you rather pay $50 upfront in entry fees for everyone. Or when you need a tow. $105 events (no tow) vs $165 events per person (includes tow). SO if you never needed to get towed, i think option A is best. But if you do need it, you just pay $50 extra. Why pay for something that you might not need every single track day. I'd imagine you want to keep it on black stuff and not want to get towed every session/day you go out to the track. Food for thought.

In the longer run, it is cheaper for everoyne with option A.

A) 80 people a day, 3-4 tows a day, pay $105+ for everyone, a bit cheaper up front. If you need a tow $50.
    B) 80 people a day, 3-4 tows a day, pay $160+ for everyone, more up front.

Also remember XS includes coupon for lunch $3 off pretty much and FREE timing. Other organizations/clubs charge $15-20/day for timing.
    SDSUsnowboards likes this.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14