• 5 Post By agershon
  • 1 Post By SeanB
  • 1 Post By markn

Thread: Notice of counterfeit driver's gear

Liked
    2356 times

Default Notice of counterfeit driver's gear

This just in from SFI:

The photos below are examples of recently discovered counterfeit SFI conformance labels attached to shoes and driver suits fraudulently represented as being certified to SFI specifications.

These were found on non-major brand equipment utilizing off-shore 3rd party manufacturers.

Please compare the certification labels on your own race shoes and suits against the photographs below.

Take note in the difference in fonts on the shoe labels, and that there is an incorrect word on one of the shoe labels.
    In addition to the difference in the quality of embroidery on the suit patches, the reverse side of the counterfeit suit patches has a felt covering that is not present on the genuine patches.

There are also label security measures which are not visible in a photograph, which SFI uses to identify genuine versus fake labels.
    Please contact the SFI Foundation (sfi@sfifoundation.com) if you suspect fraud or counterfeit items.

Download a PDF version of this notice here: SFINotice11-10-16. This blog post can also be shared to your social media pages via the below share buttons.

http://sfifoundation.com/wp-content/...ce11-10-16.pdf

ShoeLabels11-10-16-768x1024.jpg

SuitLabels11-10-16-768x1024.jpg

Liked
    115 times

Well, sh!t. I just got these shoes from WRR. Sure looks like one of the counterfit labels to me. Emailing customer service right now.

screen-shot-2016-11-11-12.02.35-pm.png

Liked
    97 times

Adam, what brand are your shoes?
    Theseus: '94 Miata, NASA SU/TTU (in progress)
    Rover: '90 Miata, NASA PTE/E3

Liked
    115 times

Quote Originally Posted by Savington View Post
    Adam, what brand are your shoes?
    They are Winding Road's new house brand, which I actually really like.

https://store.windingroad.com/wrr-tu...hoe-p1971.aspx

Liked
    115 times

Response from WRR:

"Hello Adam,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. As of right now I cannot verify 100% if our shoes have valid certification. I have contacted the manufacturer and am waiting for a response. I can assure you that if we do find out that our shoes are not valid we will let you know immediately and will make it right. Thank you for your patience."

Liked
    115 times

Just received an email from Winding Road saying that they do not trust that their house brand shoes are, in fact, SFI certified. They have issued everyone who bought the shoes a full refund and offered a 15% towards the purchase of any new pair. I'm obviously disappointed because I really like the shoes, but I feel that WRR has acted honorably in this unfortunate situation.
    2GRX7, bawareca, howang and 2 others like this.

Liked
    223 times

That sounds like an incredible gesture since they're likely to bare most/all the cost. Maybe a small expense to keep their rep though. It's a harsh lesson with dealing suppliers, esp globally. Even if there are vendor performance requirements, in this type of scenario I can't imagine they do much good.

Little doubt here, the label is likely counterfit. The photo of your label matches typographically with the first fraudulent example posted by the SFI (see spacing, font, kerning).

If you like the shoes, I'd keep wearing them. It's likely to only be an issue with the label, less so the materials. The label matters for SCCA or NASA events, which only then puts you at risk for a slimy protest. I'll be watching! j/k
    ucfbrett likes this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    401 times

Product is not on the site any longer.

That is a stand up vendor. Kudo's.
    ucfbrett likes this.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    115 times

Quote Originally Posted by SeanB View Post
    If you like the shoes, I'd keep wearing them. It's likely to only be an issue with the label, less so the materials.
    You may be right, but I took the opportunity to grab a pair of fancy Alpinestars shoes

+ Reply to Thread