+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Not the best place to stop for a red flag

Liked
    1556 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    you can't count on corner worker. what do you do on a Buttonwillow/WSIR test day ? or some of events with minimal corner workers ? or if Corner worker simply is attending to another situation ?

common sense just tells you not to park in the MIDDLE of a track after a blinding crest.
    Common sense says you use common sense. Too many people blaze a trail during test days. There is a difference between testing and setting a personal best. I see the latter too often. I have seen people get thrown off the track during testdays thinking they are mario andretti. We should rethink going to events with untrained or minimal corner workers who often offer minimal safety crew. It is a total joke when I go to an event organizer is using a pick-up truck with an open trailer to pull dead cars off the track. If you think there is a fully outfitted ambulance with staff there you are sadly mistaken.

SCCA uses 2 trained cornerworkers per station one looks up stream one looks downstream. All stations are manned at every track. A medical director signs off on EMS in place before an event starts. Paramedics/Ambulance in place with advanced cardiac lifesupport trackside. Wreckers are owned by SCCA and staffed by team trained in emergency extracation. Our local guys are so good they are the ones who cornerwork and support the LBGP proraces every year. These are the kinds of workers we need.

Liked
    4 times

i dont have that much exp. here, but for obvious reasons posted here and also that because this is what ive always heard.. red means off the track? stopping at almost any point on the track sounds wrong and dangerous.. unless the instruction is to go two wheels off the track, this would just seem wrong..?

Liked
    299 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Common sense says you use common sense. Too many people blaze a trail during test days. There is a difference between testing and setting a personal best. I see the latter too often. I have seen people get thrown off the track during testdays thinking they are mario andretti. We should rethink going to events with untrained or minimal corner workers who often offer minimal safety crew. It is a total joke when I go to an event organizer is using a pick-up truck with an open trailer to pull dead cars off the track. If you think there is a fully outfitted ambulance with staff there you are sadly mistaken.

SCCA uses 2 trained cornerworkers per station one looks up stream one looks downstream. All stations are manned at every track. A medical director signs off on EMS in place before an event starts. Paramedics/Ambulance in place with advanced cardiac lifesupport trackside. Wreckers are owned by SCCA and staffed by team trained in emergency extracation. Our local guys are so good they are the ones who cornerwork and support the LBGP proraces every year. These are the kinds of workers we need.
    For this to work, you need $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Track fees will be at least $400+. Correct me if I'm wrong or assumed wrong. I apologize in advance. My point is, it will cost more. How much are those SCCA races/events? I'm not saying price is not worth the high level of safety. But alot of people only care about $99 track days. They don't see how all these things cost money and if its $400+, they are not gonna show up. The other 2% of the drivers are smart and value their life and are willing, able, and justify those costs. Just saying. Btw, I agree with you.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    977 times

Speed ventures has a proper safety crew at every event. I don't know any other track day organizer who does (not including the race guys)

Liked
    141 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Wow, what the **** was going on here? Lucky not more carnage occurred. Any word on the drivers involved condition?
    from the VARA FB page:
    Bill went into surgery last night for his broken arm , and Mark was feeling sore , Fire rescue loaded the #88 in the trailer for them and Buttonwillow kindly said they will keep it for a few days for them.

Liked
    141 times

Speed ventures has a proper safety crew at every event. I don't know any other track day organizer who does (not including the race guys)
    Vara has two workers at each station vs SV has one, just FYI...

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by granth View Post
    Vara has two workers at each station vs SV has one, just FYI...
    Isn't VARA a race organization?

Liked
    1478 times

Isn't VARA a race organization?
    Yes. Vintage racing -- lots of old open wheel cars. My 1984 FM (with year 2000 chassis) qualifies to race with them, but I haven't done it yet. This one incident would not scare me away from racing with VARA; I'd just be personally smarter about where to stop on track for a red flag.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    60 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I'd just be personally smarter about where to stop on track for a red flag.
    Doesn't help much if you're the guy barreling over the hill

Liked
    70 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post

I believe raceline usa uses the truck and trailer deal, lol.

You're right, i did see SCCA stamped trucks there, which i found pretty odd at the time. but that explains it
    -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

MJM
    Liked
    9 times

Prior to the wreck it seemed there was a disabled car and/or emergency vehicle every other corner. Is that normal for those people?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3