Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Not the best place to stop for a red flag

Liked
    2243 times

Default Not the best place to stop for a red flag

Liked
    1477 times

Yikes! But I didn't see a red flag. I know that yellow open wheel car in the rearview camera for most of the video. I have a pic of him behind my FM at Buttonwillow from May 2012.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    114 times

:-( did someone just die?

On a serious note, it didn't look like the corner worker had the red flag out. He should have been waving it like mad.

Liked
    41 times

I didn't see a red flag either, but why the fark would anyone ever stop at the back of a CREST?

Brains people... brains...
    bellwilliam and rhouck like this.
    pucsicsal - The fastest unit of speed measurement is not the speed of light, it is the speed of flatout. Hence the BRZs limit.

Sir flink
    Liked
    552 times

Look like the corner worker chose that moment to point the flag straight at the oncoming car, so he couldn't see it.

Liked
    2282 times

the point for red flag, is to move "out of the fuc*ing way" for emergency vehicles....
    not parked 3 across the track. even Spec Miata don't go 3 wide going into Phil's Hill.

if you paused frame after the camera car spins. there are a total of 6 cars parked after hill crest.... what the hell were all 6 drivers thinking ?
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 09-11-2012 at 09:23 PM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2282 times

I laughed out loud when the yellow car finally came to its senses after the crash, and moved right away....
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    the point for red flag, is to move "out of the fuc*ing way" for safety vehicle....
    not parked 3 across the track. even Spec Miata don't go 3 wide going into Phil's Hill.

if you paused frame after the camera car spins. there are a total of 6 cars parked after hill crest.... what the hell were all 6 drivers thinking ?
    Mind boggling. Was that scca or nasa or...? Lots of Darwin award potential out there.
    Last edited by redtopz; 09-11-2012 at 09:24 PM.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    Mind boggling. Was that scca or nasa or...? Lots of Darwin award potential out there.
    VARA probably? Vintage racers. Racers of a certain vintage as well no doubt.

Liked
    2282 times

it is VARA, this is what he posted on Youtube:

This short video clip illustrates why it is important to pay attention during driver's school and driver meetings. Listen to your instructors!!! Listen to the Chief Steward!!!

This incident occured during the 2012 VARA Octoberfest held at Buttonwillow Raceway Park in Buttonwillow, Ca.

Camera is a GoPro Hero HD, attached to the roll bar of my 1968 Lotus 51 Formula Ford.

The driver that ran into us suffered only a compound fracture of his right arm. He was lucky. It could have been ALOT (!!!) worse.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1477 times

VARA. Can't be NASA, they don't have open wheel classes, especially for vintage race cars like that. SCCA allows cars like that to race, but this was VARA, according to others here. BTW, the video reminds me how much Buttonwillow sucks.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    32 times

wow... i guess the guy with the camera learned the hard way not to completely stop after a crest

Liked
    140 times

I was not at the event, but I know the event chair for the vara race there was one positive that came out is that the replacement ambulance was only 15 mins away...

Liked
    299 times

6 fails i see.

#1 Corner worker didnt display 100% upright the red flag to oncoming drivers properly. They need a refresher/class on how to properly display flags. Life and death.
    #2 Why the hell did all the cars ahead of camera car stop basically in between the bottom of lost hills and middle of lost hills. It is a blind crest. No one can see anything from behind the hill. At least they stopped over on the right side.
    #3 Why was that car flying through the turn soo fast that it lost control. Did he not just see 4 cars go over the hill 8s earlier, but not reappear after the hill. Isnt that a big clue? Why didn't he slow down to the corner worker pointing/"displaying" some sort of flag. I'm sure he couldn't tell if it red blue yellow black.
    #4 Why is everyone stopping all over the damn track. So dumb...
    #5 Idiot corner worker again. He sees everyone stopped all over the shop on the other side of the hill and know its blind. WHY WASNT HE FURIOUSLY WAVING THE RED FLAG and be super animated at the incoming car!!!! For sure he knew that there was a gonna be a big accident if that car came flying through there at speed. Idiot!!
    #6 Camera car was just in a really really bad spot on the outside of a blind turn. Not to mention the blind hill again and again, which was dumb idea in first place.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    299 times

This guy is so lucky...within 2-3inches.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    464 times

This is painful to watch... Ouch!!!
    All kinds of bad right there.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    704 times

I hate to judge the actions of others especially without knowing what was going on in front of the camera car. Obviously a bad place to stop but that corner worker sucked. There's no reason that car should have come over the hill into that without warning. If everyone had stopped on the same side of the blind crest, the collision most likely would have been avoided. Lot's of fail for sure.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    I hate to judge the actions of others especially without knowing what was going on in front of the camera car. Obviously a bad place to stop but that corner worker sucked. There's no reason that car should have come over the hill into that without warning. If everyone had stopped on the same side of the blind crest, the collision most likely would have been avoided. Lot's of fail for sure.
    you can't count on corner worker. what do you do on a Buttonwillow/WSIR test day ? or some of events with minimal corner workers ? or if Corner worker simply is attending to another situation ?

common sense just tells you not to park in the MIDDLE of a track after a blinding crest.
    Richard EVO likes this.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2282 times

me and Emilio talks about this kind of stuff all the time, it is always a combination of fail that leads to an accident. if only one of the fail can be avoided, you wouldn't have it.

1. corner worker not waving the flag like crazy
    2. if the red car (one that crashed) had looked far ahead, probably would of saw a train of cars stopped after Phil's Hill.
    3. if the yellow car (one just behind the camera) stopped a little earlier, on top of the hill. red car would of saw it.
    4. if the white car (behind camera car), did not park in the MIDDLE of the road, red car would of probably able to take the regular line and miss everybody.
    5. if the camera car did not park in the MIDDLE of the road.
    6. if the yellow car had parked anywhere else, red car would of been able to go off track and miss everybody.

combinations of fails caused the accident. I blame corner worker, red car, camera car, white and yellow car drivers. all fail.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1 times

i know from driving buttonwillow multiple times that the first thing i do is look at that flag station just after the kink before you brake for phil hill,if hes got a yellow flag in his hand then ill use caution,if hes waving it wildly ill definately slow a lot,if hes got a red flag in his hand im gonna park it on the top of the hill so people can see me and see i have stopped,im not gonna go over that hill at all

To me the onus is on the flag worker there but there were a lot of parked cars in weird spots in that vid,as a driver things get a little weird sometimes at some hpde events with the lack of driving experience,you would think things would be a little more organized with a vintage racer group but common sense has to prevail hopefully

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast