+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Thread: Nissan cheating on the ring?

  1. #21
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,644
    Liked
    2282 times

    Default

    so u guys are implying Road and Track cheated by giving time advantage to Nissan ? for what ? is Nissan advertising more with R & T ? it is one thing for Nissan to cheat at the Ring, it is another for R & T to cheat for Nissan.

    I am sure R & T can tell if GTR is on cheater tires or not. the only other way to cheat would be a bit more power. let's say Nissan put in a ringer that make 50whp more (which is hard, because R & T also did 0-60, 0-100 test, and they are inline with all other publications), IMHO, 50whp might give 2 seconds advantage at best.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

  2. #22
    dirty smack talker hakeem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,076
    Liked
    977 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    A nobody at Buttonwillow #13-CW ran 2:28 in a GT-R last Sunday with SV. What can you tell about that?
    Were you driving?

  3. #23
    Senior Member blackciviccoupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    178
    Liked
    2 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nils View Post
    on stock tires.... stock boost... stock brake fluid... stock brake pads.. ha ha... yea right....

    i dont care if god himself was driving...
    hilarious!!!
    1994 honda civic ex DOHC Vtec

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Were you driving?

    You're on my s***-list now.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  5. #25
    Smack-Talkin' Member J. Tyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,991
    Liked
    165 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nils View Post
    you guys honestly believe that the GTR did a 1:56 at BW13... bone stock....?

    Come on.. you know they are cheating with those numbers.

    Porsche is simply pointing out that the Nissan numbers are not bone stock... I dont think porsche are loosing sales to Nissan eitherway.. porsche guys are porsche guys.. no matter what.
    +1

    I believe it was Car & Driver who did that test, with Steve Millen driving. He did a 1:56 in the GTR, before they were on sale here. It was a car given to them by Nissan for that test. He did a 2:02 in the Z06.

    A few months later, after the GTR had been on sale for awhile, Road&Track did a similar test at Buttonwillow, same configuration, same cars: GTR, Z06, Porsche GT3, etc. But this GTR was a production model, on loan from someone other than Nissan. IIRC, the GTR did a 2:01, while the Z06 did the same 2:02 it did in the Car & Driver test.


    Something smells fishy.

  6. #26
    dirty smack talker hakeem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,076
    Liked
    977 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    You're on my s***-list now.
    I was just kidding!!

    Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler
    I believe it was Car & Driver who did that test, with Steve Millen driving. He did a 1:56 in the GTR, before they were on sale here. It was a car given to them by Nissan for that test. He did a 2:02 in the Z06.

    A few months later, after the GTR had been on sale for awhile, Road&Track did a similar test at Buttonwillow, same configuration, same cars: GTR, Z06, Porsche GT3, etc. But this GTR was a production model, on loan from someone other than Nissan. IIRC, the GTR did a 2:01, while the Z06 did the same 2:02 it did in the Car & Driver test.
    I had not heard this before...good info. In that case, something is definitely off. I would be curious to know what was different about the 'press' version of the GTR; increasing the boost alone would not account for a ~6 second differential in time.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    Need to put "J/K" or if just kidding. Otherwise, I get my knickers in a twist.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 09-30-2008 at 04:02 PM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    From the Nissan GT-R forum:

    "In a rare outburst of public emotion, a Porsche 911 spokesman August Achleitner has openly wept to the media recently at the Australian press preview of the latest Porsche Cabrio. Specifically they called Nissan Motors a “big meany” and “a no good dirty cheater” when confronted about the enormity of the whooping they received at the Nurburgring in their home country Germany by the GT-R.

    When asked “WTF?” they claimed they had purchased a GT-R themselves to test at the famous Nordschleife. A Porsche engineer could not manage to get the car to change out of 3rd gear and only managed a time of 7.54 seconds.

    In between fits of heavy weeping and moaning they also claimed that every other test the GT-R had beaten the Porsche in were also “big dirty lies".

    Achleitner was given a pacifier and slept for the rest of the day after the preview. He’s said to be feeling better after his delusional outburst."
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  9. #29
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,644
    Liked
    2282 times

    Default

    http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6594
    Road and Track

    GTR did a 1:56.9. should call that 1:57

    Car and Driver did a 2:01.1, which is 4 seconds slower than R&T review. but I've read they are on different tires.


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_Test_Track
    Top Gear did a 1:19 in GTR vs. 1:22 for Z06

    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...st+page-3.html
    GTR is faster than 911 turbo

    http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallp...43&Page=5&CT=V
    GTR is faster than GT3

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Jl8yLeV3A
    GTR is faster than 911 turbo

    http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22031
    GTR is faster than GT3
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

  10. #30
    Smack-Talkin' Member J. Tyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,991
    Liked
    165 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    From the Nissan GT-R forum:

    "In a rare outburst of public emotion, a Porsche 911 spokesman August Achleitner has openly wept to the media recently at the Australian press preview of the latest Porsche Cabrio. Specifically they called Nissan Motors a “big meany” and “a no good dirty cheater” when confronted about the enormity of the whooping they received at the Nurburgring in their home country Germany by the GT-R.

    When asked “WTF?” they claimed they had purchased a GT-R themselves to test at the famous Nordschleife. A Porsche engineer could not manage to get the car to change out of 3rd gear and only managed a time of 7.54 seconds.

    In between fits of heavy weeping and moaning they also claimed that every other test the GT-R had beaten the Porsche in were also “big dirty lies".

    Achleitner was given a pacifier and slept for the rest of the day after the preview. He’s said to be feeling better after his delusional outburst."

  11. #31
    Smack-Talkin' Member J. Tyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,991
    Liked
    165 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6594
    Road and Track

    GTR did a 1:56.9. should call that 1:57

    Car and Driver did a 2:01.1, which is 4 seconds slower than R&T review. but I've read they are on different tires.
    Oops, I had the magazines backwards. But you see my point.

  12. #32
    What's Traction Control? 600RR_Rocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,326
    Liked
    0 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    From the Nissan GT-R forum:

    "In a rare outburst of public emotion, a Porsche 911 spokesman August Achleitner has openly wept to the media recently at the Australian press preview of the latest Porsche Cabrio. Specifically they called Nissan Motors a “big meany” and “a no good dirty cheater” when confronted about the enormity of the whooping they received at the Nurburgring in their home country Germany by the GT-R.

    When asked “WTF?” they claimed they had purchased a GT-R themselves to test at the famous Nordschleife. A Porsche engineer could not manage to get the car to change out of 3rd gear and only managed a time of 7.54 seconds.

    In between fits of heavy weeping and moaning they also claimed that every other test the GT-R had beaten the Porsche in were also “big dirty lies".

    Achleitner was given a pacifier and slept for the rest of the day after the preview. He’s said to be feeling better after his delusional outburst."
    Haha...that's some witty verbiage!!!

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    Look at the differences in the section speeds (scroll to bottom of linked page):

    http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...ct_OnTrack.pdf
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 09-30-2008 at 04:38 PM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,915
    Liked
    10 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nils View Post
    on stock tires.... stock boost... stock brake fluid... stock brake pads.. ha ha... yea right....

    i dont care if god himself was driving...
    GTR vs 997T

    1'56.9 vs 2'02.1 (BW13)

    1'01.9 vs 1'04.1 (Tsukuba)

    that sounds about right

    i don't care if they really detune US spec since i can't really prove that, but if you ask me if bone stock GTR can do 1'56.9? i would believe so!! most of the tests i've seen came out similar results comparing to 997T

    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAUZqG3KmCA[/YOUTUBE]

    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA95r5tCxTM[/YOUTUBE]


    Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    A nobody at Buttonwillow #13-CW ran 2:28 in a GT-R last Sunday with SV. What can you tell about that?
    that's GTR was brought by Charles' and Clement's friend, 1st time on track

    Clement took it out just for a little easy cruise, and still passing Charles on Ed's car (2'08) easily

  15. #35
    Senior Member gofaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    289
    Liked
    0 times

    Default

    Yea, I call bs on nissan. On their previous BW 13cw 1:56 especially.

    Remember this old thread?
    http://www.trackhq.com/forums/showth...=6690#post6690

    Quote Originally Posted by gofaster;
    someone needs to explain something to me. How does a 3800+ lbs awd car on street tires pushing 460 hp and stock suspension, tie an awd car that weighs 3,000 lbs on 285+ r-comp rubber pushing near 480+ hp?

    It makes absolutely no sense. Unless nissan sent them a cheater car, you know, more hp, non-standard rubber or "modified" rubber of some sort.

    Or perhaps the nissan generates a small warp field around itself as it travels, altering the fabric of space time and thusly, the laws of physics do not apply.

  16. #36

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,915
    Liked
    10 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Oli ran a 1:48s at Roval.

    a nobody few weeks ago ran a 1:52.x in a GTR.

    I think Roval benefit Corvette more so than a GTR.

    can someone confirm the GTR at Roval. I thought it looked stock, but may be it isn't.
    both of them are stock on RE070, Terry and I were checking those GTRs there, and the faster 1'52 one was running black group, not even red group

    the owner said that's the 1st one sold in California, but i'm not sure what kinda driving experience the owner had, he didn't even run red group tho

  17. #37
    Corners > Straights JDMxDB8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Temple City, CA
    Posts
    702
    Liked
    2 times

    Default

    I believe that the R35 is that fast. And Porsche are being sore losers. BTW, I saw a white R35 on the road last sunday for the first time. It's freakin huge! Filled up the entire lane on Huntington drive in San Marino.

  18. #38
    FIA WTCC/Formula D Driver MiataCharles_Hong_Kong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California/Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,092
    Liked
    0 times

    Default

    On Sunday Clement ran a 2:04 in the GTR with the owner as passenger, and he didnt even push, just cruising around.

  19. #39
    Senior Member Silversprint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    827
    Liked
    143 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MiataCharles_Hong_Kong View Post
    On Sunday Clement ran a 2:04 in the GTR with the owner as passenger, and he didnt even push, just cruising around.
    Yea but could it actually go 8secs faster? 8 secs is a huge number.

    I think once more people actually buy and track the stock GTR we can get a idea of performance. For now I take everything Nissan says with a grains of salt.

    I commend Porsche for doing their own tests. They probably ran the perfomance numbers of the cars and figures the times didn't make sense so they bought their own Nissan to test.

    I would be interesting to see what Nissan has to say about the Porsche claim.

    Maybe they sold Porsche a defective car and want porsche to bring the car back into the dealer for service.

  20. #40

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,915
    Liked
    10 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silversprint View Post
    Yea but could it actually go 8secs faster? 8 secs is a huge number.

    I think once more people actually buy and track the stock GTR we can get a idea of performance. For now I take everything Nissan says with a grains of salt.

    I commend Porsche for doing their own tests. They probably ran the perfomance numbers of the cars and figures the times didn't make sense so they bought their own Nissan to test.

    I would be interesting to see what Nissan has to say about the Porsche claim.

    Maybe they sold Porsche a defective car and want porsche to bring the car back into the dealer for service.
    nobody from intermediate group ran 1'52 at ACS, that's 2s faster than Manly's Elise, a 2 min flat car at BW13

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts