+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The next affordable track car(s)? FT 86 / BRZ

Liked
    103 times

More info from the good guys at MotoIQ.com. Looks like tires are narrow, and suspension is subaru which worries me a little. i have a fair share of on track experience with subaru's and familiar with the suspension geo, which is pushy to say the least. I hope the car's relative light weight, FR layout, and moderate power keep if from feeling too WRX. But the silver lining is, since its very much so impreza suspension, i as well as alot of people will know what it'll take to get them to turn. None the less im excited about the car, i think its a good thing for the import tuning community.

86 Under the Skin: Technical details on the Toyota/Subaru/Scion, 86/GT-86/FR-S/BRZ

Liked
    165 times

Surely Subi will make an STi version, no? I'd be all about a 300hp, turbo, RWD small car.

Liked
    1477 times

It's great to be excited about a new car coming out. Everything for the last 5 or 6 years is just green/hybrid/electric $h!t with lots of electronic nannies and "technology" (it drives itself, has 127 air-bags, and you can plug in your iPod) and no fun.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    It's great to be excited about a new car coming out. Everything for the last 5 or 6 years is just green/hybrid/electric $h!t with lots of electronic nannies and "technology" (it drives itself, has 127 air-bags, and you can plug in your iPod) and no fun.
    I've been saying for the last year or so that this is the car I'm most excited about. Most other performance cars are either out of my price range or too heavy. I can't wait for Spec 86, or whatever they'll call it.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2242 times

These are sleepers, and I think they're going to sell a ton of them because they have a slight utilitarian side to them (hatchback, four seats). Like the Civic Si's from the early 1990s, which, I'm told, were a lot of fun.

Liked
    704 times

Do they have a hatch or trunk?

Liked
    143 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    Do they have a hatch or trunk?
    They gave it a trunk lid to save weight over a rear hatch. The rear seats do fold down.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

The main problems I see with this car being an "affordable" track is reliability. Some of the big reasons why the s2k is such a great, affordable track car is how cheap the consumables are and how solid the reliability is even when driven hard. It seems like this car should be pretty reliable, but we wont know until its been tested.

edited: read it should come with 17s
    Last edited by JJ1; 12-01-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Liked
    11 times

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer_drew View Post
    I need to find out more, that was the first I saw of that car as well. Looks like the retained the forward engine and IMO thats a serious compromise within the rules but it depends on how they decide to equalize this year.

how do you have a "manufacturer est" drag Cd??? Not tested???
    0.27 for the production car.

Liked
    47 times

yah it says "Company Est" under it in the brochure
    Andrew M Brilliant
    Aerodynamicist / Race Engineer

Liked
    1477 times

Now that the euphoria is starting to wear off, I have to say that the car is a bit under-powered right out of the box. I don't think it would be competitive with an S2K.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    103 times

Now that the euphoria is starting to wear off, I have to say that the car is a bit under-powered right out of the box. I don't think it would be competitive with an S2K.
    the FRS for sure has a suspension geo and power disadvantage to the S2k, and a suspension geo disadvantage to the NC miata also, but i feel the car will still sell(if the price is right) because of its added practicality while still being sporty. If subaru suspension stuff(OE and aftermarket) are able to transfer over, their will be a big slew of suspension geometry correction parts that will allow this thing to really turn. only time will tell

Liked
    704 times

The the forums are saying $24k for the base Sube and $27k for the Limited.

Richard, this is why mentioned prices of your cars the other day. The Toyubarus aren't directly compareable to an S2K. The NC comparison is appropriate.

Liked
    103 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    The the forums are saying $24k for the base Sube and $27k for the Limited.

Richard, this is why mentioned prices of your cars the other day. The Toyubarus aren't directly compareable to an S2K. The NC comparison is appropriate.
    id that is the price range when they hit the lots, i think they have a winner. Itll have a slight power to weight advantage over the NC, but he NC is alot better in the suspension geo department, and its proven NCs can fit 17x9/245s no pro, and bigger with some rolling/camber. this is another factor which im waiting for the result, what is going to be the size rubber/wheel that can fit under the FRS/BRZ. If it can do similar sizes as NC and S2k, its going to be good. if 17x8.5 and 235 is already the max under stock body....the wishbone roadsters are going to walk it

Liked
    977 times

$24k base + STi swap and you'd have a hell of a car. Although after changing spark plugs twice on my former STi, I don't think I will be owning any more boxer cars.

Liked
    142 times

If it starts to sale in large numbers how long will it take Honda to respond, the only thing that Honda has is that is sporty is the Civic Si, fast and fun but not a drivers' car. I think Toyota saw part if the market that no one is catering to.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    2242 times

Quote Originally Posted by Silversprint View Post
    They gave it a trunk lid to save weight over a rear hatch. The rear seats do fold down.

OK, a trunk. But it also has a rear seat, which could possibly hold children under 10, which is something you can't do with a Miata or S2000. And it's nearly a third the price of a 997.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Se7en View Post
    If it starts to sale in large numbers how long will it take Honda to respond, the only thing that Honda has is that is sporty is the Civic Si, fast and fun but not a drivers' car. I think Toyota saw part if the market that no one is catering to.
    Toyota is the lowest common demoninator car maker in Japan, like GM in the USA. Toyota hasn't made an entusiast car since the last Supra Turbo, and it has been a very long time since that was available here. I was very disappointed in Honda killing the NSX, and then the S2K. Mazda makes good handling, underpowered little cars. Mitsubishi is discontinuing the Evo. Subaru still looks OK, but the STI has gotten heavier and softer over time, we can only hope there will be a high-performance version of the BRZ.

That leaves Nissan among the Japanese car makers. GT-R and 370Z. While the 370Z is not to my liking, and the GT-R is too heavy, at least Nissan makes fast sports cars.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    And it's nearly a third the price of a 997.
    A quarter the price of a 991-S.

Liked
    641 times

Toyota is the lowest common demoninator car maker in Japan........................
    If I had my fire suit on I would have asked you what the demoninator is

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2