See no. 7 below.

Way high on the top ten totem pole:

The Ten Most Incredible Garages In America

Liked
    2243 times

That's pretty good company, Jack.

Liked
    375 times

Kind of crazy. But I'll take it, I guess.

It was a question of the day on the site, and I think it was supposed to be about the best car collections (like Ralph Lauren's or Bruce Canepa, or whatever).

But some guys apparently through mine into the ring and voted for it.

I've got to work on the flyer, for tourists: "The facility received a $3,500 update and renovation beginning in 2007 and currently boasts one parking space, which is perfectly tailored to the collection's single car."

For those without the time to click on the link, mine and a guy named GR1M Racer seem to be the only oddballs.

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

^Ha! You should ask Magnus Walker if he wants to trade with you. You are number 7. But I agree, it's awesome how well you've made your car and garage work. Seems like two builds with the same philosophy.

Liked
    2243 times

Well, i was just going to have a peek, but I got sucked into that Petrolicious film till the very end. Nice piece on you, the car and the garage, Jack.

Liked
    2282 times

Does jack has a Trackhq sticker on his garage wall ?
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1477 times

At first I thought this was a joke. But Jack actually got rated 7th best garage of all, by Jalopnik. Congrats!!!
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    439 times

With all of the Photo-shop work John did, I can't believe my garage didn't make the list LOL

garage-photo.jpg
    Loose Caboose likes this.

Liked
    2243 times

^^ Did Maxxis pick your garage when they posted on TrackHQ a couple of years ago?

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    With all of the Photo-shop work John did, I can't believe my garage didn't make the list LOL

Attachment 6875
    Laughter aside, this is a real impressive photo. Really good . . .
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 03-21-2014 at 12:31 PM.

Liked
    439 times

Yes, they picked my garage and spent about 7 hours at my house the day of the shoot.

If I had not seen the proof, I would not have recognized my own garage in the magazine. I have two garage doors that they made into one, and I have nice concrete in front of the doors not cracked pavement. I don't remember the lightening bolt either.

The car to the right of the garage was a Datsun 710 parts car that I cut into 4 sections and took to the scrap yard!

Liked
    2243 times

I tried to be part of that campaign. I had just redone my garage shortly beforehand, but I guess it didn't make the cut. Maybe I need a scrap car in the background. Or a lift. Or to have hosted the Tonight Show.

mahal002_jfr-copy.jpg

Liked
    375 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Well, i was just going to have a peek, but I got sucked into that Petrolicious film till the very end. Nice piece on you, the car and the garage, Jack.
    Thanks. I think the director did a very good job. And while I occasionally sound like an idiot, they edited stuff together in a way to make that idiocy seem only occasional -- which is like Photoshop for my personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    At first I thought this was a joke. But Jack actually got rated 7th best garage of all, by Jalopnik. Congrats!!!
    Thanks. But it is kind of a joke. I think the thing that got me on the list was the fact that the person who posted a picture of my garage got (the Jalopnik equvalent of) ten 'likes.' It wasn't like the edtiors got together and made a list. It was a 'Question of the Day.'

Still, I appreciate the mention by the Jalopnik reader and the ten up-votes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    That does look good. It's hilarious that they gave you a worse driveway rather than a better one.

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    I tried to be part of that campaign. I had just redone my garage shortly beforehand, but I guess it didn't make the cut. Maybe I need a scrap car in the background. Or a lift. Or to have hosted the Tonight Show.

Attachment 6877
    That looks pretty great. I've had both that Craftsman top and the (superior, probably) HF lower unit.

I'm honestly not sure why my garage appeals to so many internet readers. I mean, I like that it's a comfortable and useable place. But there are a lot of those in the world. It could be just the 1973-ish color scheme that makes it stick in people's memories. I'd like to think that some of the appeal stems from the fact that every piece of it was originally a damaged or a second-hand leftover that I chopped, welded and re-shaped into a cohesive design. But I doubt most people read far enough into the web page to see the way it was put together. But who knows?

Sometimes, it's crazy. Just in the past couple of months, it's gone international. Here are the French and German articles:

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 03-20-2014 at 10:02 PM.

Liked
    744 times

The appealing aspect to your garage is the thought and design of it. You had the need, learned how to build it, and executed to suit your needs, much like the car. Most people just make due with their workspace and it becomes a cluster.

You garage has really put a slow-burn idea in my head over the time I first watched the video. As an industrial designer with a lot of contract office furniture design experience, I saw what you did and kept thinking about how many of your features are used in office spaces (and residential) for space utilization, flexibility and organization. I know a lot of products on the market, for garages especially, do some of these things, but not to the level of durability and flexibility as office/contract furniture or your example. I see a lot of potential there to do the same space planning with a rugged, clean modular system without a crazy budget.
    Jack Olsen likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    854 times

To UCFBrett and CraZee:

pinup003.jpg

Stick me please! (on your garage wall)

Or one of my friends:

calendar girl bing images - Bing Images
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 03-22-2014 at 09:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread