+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New track car

Liked
    2242 times

Default New track car

This is a pricey toy, but the specs are impressive. I'd probably rather have it with a Suzuki Hayabusa engine, but the Ducati mill is pretty cool.

Back when I lived in Florida, we'd ride to Daytona each March to test drive all the new models during Bike Week. Ducati had cutaway head in which you could spin it's belt-driven desmodromic valve actuation system and see how it worked. It has no valve springs, so it presents less parasitic drag on crankshaft rotation. The drawback is that it needs frequent adjustment. It's still a nifty setup, though.

spartan-ducati-engined-ultralightweight-sports-car.jpg

Home

ENGINE: Ducati 1198S
    CAPACITY: 1199cm³
    POWER: 170HP

WEIGHT: Aprox 350kg

BRAKES: Front & Rear - Wilwood lightweight 300mm ventilated rotors, Wilwood 4-piston/2-piston billet calipers and Wilwood rotor hats

PEDALS: Tilton racing pedal assembly with remote brake bias

WHEELS: 17 x 7 inch Advan lightweight race wheels

TYRES: Yokohama

TRANSMISSION: 6-speed sequential

SUSPENSION: Fully adjustable double wishbone front and rear with OHLINS suspension

STEERING: Woodward Racing quick ratio steering rack and collapsible steering column, Sparco quick release steering hub, Sparco Formula steering wheel

INSRUMENTS: Ducati 1198 Digitek LCD dash

SEATS: Tilton B5 carbon racing seats, Sparco Racing FIA-approved 5 or 6 point harnesses

FINAL DRIVE: Drexler Motorsport Formula chain drive LSD

CHASSIS: Trellis design spaceframe - 350Mpa DOM mild steel tubing with roll-over protection. FIA-approved roll bar optional

BODY: Carbon-fibre

PERFORMANCE: 0-100km/h: 3 seconds

TOP SPEED: 260km/h

PRICE: $110,000AUD

Liked
    704 times

Very cool but I can't imagine why it's so expensive. You could effectively build the same thing for half. You could build a Miata with similar performance for a quarter the price or at least a third.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    57 times

Ya.. cost seems abnormally high for what you're getting. Hell you could buy my old 996 Flying Lizard World Challenge car for $70k and I'm sure it's faster... and you'd even have a class to race it in. :-)

-mike

Liked
    2242 times

As I said, it is pricey and I don't know how much more fun it is than a Miata or a 993. Or a shifter kart, for that matter.

On another note, here is a video I found that shows the desmodromic valve system at work.

+ Reply to Thread