+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Neocataboi

Thread: new phone

Liked
    16 times

Default I need a new phone

So my old LG phone kicked the bucket. Is there any phones out there I don't want? It seems there's quite a few apps for racers phones. I want to avoid the brand that isn't as good with all of the available apps.

thoughts?

Thanks

Steve

PS I don't know crap about phones, so explain it to me like a six year old. Oh wait, a 6 year old would know more. Explain it to me like I'm your grandfather.
    Last edited by Steve35; 12-31-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Liked
    2243 times

I don't know much about phones either, but it's hard to go wrong with an iPhone.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    I don't know much about phones either, but it's hard to go wrong with an iPhone.
    I switched to iPhone about a year ago after 10 years as a BlackBerry guy. I like the iPhone much better. But I think there are more apps for Android than iPhone, at least in the car racing arena.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1486 times

there was a great thread on corvette forum the racing section where a guy used his android phone, an ap called torque?, the phone GPS, and race render?, kiwi OBD2 wifi version, to mix it all together so his videos had inbedded speed, position, G's, and braking on/off. I have all the stuff but could not get racerender to work. Dang! I think the most important thing about android is getting a phone with the latest software to run all the aps.

Liked
    114 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    there was a great thread on corvette forum the racing section where a guy used his android phone, an ap called torque?, the phone GPS, and race render?, kiwi OBD2 wifi version, to mix it all together so his videos had inbedded speed, position, G's, and braking on/off. I have all the stuff but could not get racerender to work. Dang! I think the most important thing about android is getting a phone with the latest software to run all the aps.
    You are correct, regarding making sure you have the latest software. I would be wary of an android phone unless you plan on going with a flagship model. ie: galaxy s3, note 2, or droid DNA. These will ensure that the apps you find will work. One issue with the google store and android is that there are many phones and not all apps will run. Or if the do run it can be laggy/buggy. There are tons of options for overlay with an iPhone. The nice thing is with an iPhone, you can have any of the last three versions and everything will still run perfectly. Just something to keep in mind.
    Force McCocken likes this.

Liked
    2282 times

I have both S3 and iphone 5. I used to carry iphone 5 90% of the time. everything is great except for its disastrous map app, can't find destinations 1/2 of the time, traffic thing never worked properly. Luckily, Google just shipped its excellent ios map app few weeks ago, I will probably carry iphone 5 100% of the time now.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 01-01-2013 at 05:42 AM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    977 times

I have iPhone 5 and the Google Nexus 4. If you are new to this stuff I would recommend the iPhone.

Generally speaking the quality of apps is higher, it's more intuitive, fast, fluid, etc. And the hardware is outstanding.

Liked
    744 times

Manny is 100% right. The trick/frustration with the Androids is how frequently the particular phone you have is updated. Should you choose an Android phone go top shelf of whichever brand it is.

I made the switch to an iphone this year and like it for the integration with my other stuff. There are more apps, I believe, and they automatically load on my iPad.

My wife has the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx. She is a heavy user and I have seen her go 2 full days of heavy use on one charge. Fancy, real Kevlar skin on the back, so you KNOW it's made for racin'! If you go Android, maybe consider complimenting it with a Kindle Fire tablet for track support.

Personally, I like a metal-framed phone. A lot of the Samsung phones feel cheap to me and big screens are awkward to operate at times. Just my $.02.
    Yer pal,
    Force

+ Reply to Thread