+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree193Likes

Thread: New-To-Me 2002 Corvette. HPDE Questions

Liked
    1643 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    This is first ever track session in this car.
    Did you have fun? Was it all that you expected or got more than expected? I seem to be on a constant quest for a different racecar. I really like BMW's but quite frankly the C5 vette's bag of compromises is impossible to beat.
    Olitho and bawareca like this.

fe4
    Liked
    53 times

I watched your video(fast!!) prior to learn shift point !! your passenger seat also flopped around and you look so uncomfortable in the seat
    I cut up some shipping foam yesterday to help with holding me in the seat.
    I think Streets would have been one of the last days I did without the angel pads. The new "street" tires are so grippy it really was getting uncomfortable.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    2461 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Did you have fun? Was it all that you expected or got more than expected? I seem to be on a constant quest for a different racecar. I really like BMW's but quite frankly the C5 vette's bag of compromises is impossible to beat.
    yes I had fun (other than the crappier than usual stock seat). It drove just like a big ass Miata. it was more than expect in that it was easy to modulate throttle, which was a surprise.

I also had stock suspension and stock wheels (square) with street tires. I can't remember a stock car that changed direction (SoW certainly is) this easily. Not Miata, not Mustang, not S2000, not M3.
    weakness would be seat and visibility out of 2 front corners (difficult putting tires at apex precisely)....

I was pushing the car pretty hard lap after lap, because I want to learn behavior of the tires for Spec Corvette. at the weather (70-80F), they dropped off very little, almost NT01 like. grip isn't there though, nowhere close to super 200tw tires, nor NT01, no RC1. if I had to guess, probably more like old RS3.
    Olitho likes this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    1643 times

It drove just like a big ass Miata. it was more than expect in that it was easy to modulate throttle, which was a surprise. 3.
    It is all about compromise. GM did a really good job. The C5 is a 1997 chassis and recently won the 2017 Runoffs at Indy. We got rewards weight for that and are disadvantaged against the C6 platform in class. SCCA has been trying to kill the C5 platform since the class consolidation in 2012. Just on trackHQ you got Oli racing his C5 anywhere and everywhere even in the proracing. Brinkop challenges GT1 cars in GT2 trim routinely. The C5 is a cockroach you just can't kill!

Liked
    220 times

yes I had fun (other than the crappier than usual stock seat). It drove just like a big ass Miata. it was more than expect in that it was easy to modulate throttle, which was a surprise.

I also had stock suspension and stock wheels (square) with street tires. I can't remember a stock car that changed direction (SoW certainly is) this easily. Not Miata, not Mustang, not S2000, not M3.
    weakness would be seat and visibility out of 2 front corners (difficult putting tires at apex precisely)....

I was pushing the car pretty hard lap after lap, because I want to learn behavior of the tires for Spec Corvette. at the weather (70-80F), they dropped off very little, almost NT01 like. grip isn't there though, nowhere close to super 200tw tires, nor NT01, no RC1. if I had to guess, probably more like old RS3.
    Do the Spec Corvette rules allow changing to a race seat? They make a big difference in the Corvette. If the rules don’t allow race seats I would experiment with making a seat insert using a two part foam seat kit (like a bead seat, but made from foam). You should be able to make an insert that fits over the stock seat that would hold you in place really well.

Charley
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    2461 times

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyH View Post
    Do the Spec Corvette rules allow changing to a race seat? They make a big difference in the Corvette. If the rules donít allow race seats I would experiment with making a seat insert using a two part foam seat kit (like a bead seat, but made from foam). You should be able to make an insert that fits over the stock seat that would hold you in place really well.

Charley
    sorry if I mislead. Spec Corvette thing was a reference to just the tires, Falken 615k is the spec tires.
    yes, Spec Corvette allows all the safety items including racing seat.
    Olitho likes this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    796 times

Okay. We're getting another ls1 in there, at similar mileage. Putting in a dewit radiator in too. Getting seals on the engine replaced for good measure, pilot bearing, and possibly balancer and engine mounts, depending in their current condition. New oil pump too. Keeping things simple, and going for reliability. Might ddo the air box mod anjd give it a street tune, just to make myself feel better.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    2461 times

Before my first track event. I had these replaced, all known weak points:

Valve springs - if one breaks, engine goes boom
    Harmonic balancer
    Belt tensioner

While you are there, replace belt, water pump, steering rack bushing.
    I also did engine mount, because installing oil cooler (Dewitt EOC type with hard line) require lifting engine up.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    1643 times

I'm an LS6 guy and know nothing about LS1. If there is crossover LS1 to LS6 I would echo William's choice of new valve springs. Some would even call for new ARP rodbolts but I have not had a problem with OEM. I think the oem harmonic balancer is fine. On the LS6 there is no woodruff key so the balancer is held in with 271 locktite and the crank bolt. I have seen some racers loosen the balancer. Some guys on CF claim the stock balancer rubber will fail and you will get balancer wobble. I have never seen that with my eye. I believe if the balancer is put on properly there is no problem. The original waterpump if good keep it! All the rebuilds are questionable because rebuilders generally suck these days. All the brand new GM waterpumps that say AC delco on them come from china. My original WP looked better than my new OE Delco. So your mileage will vary. I have never had a problem with belt tensioner but some go with a solid tensioner from katech. I'm not sure that is needed with a stock motor especially for HPDE.. I think there are better places to spend your money like bigger radiator, oil cooler. IMO the DRM oil cooler block is the best. It has better angles on it for user friendliness. IMO little things count. Right side oil cooler is better if you go big radiator integral cooler but those are $1000 units. There is a cheap big radiator you can search on CF. It is like $200 bucks! I would try that and an external cooler. The advantage to an external cooler is you never have to worry about metal in your cooler if you blow your motor. Many new motors have been lost to not getting all the metal out of the old lines. External cooler you just throw it away. What I do on my internal cooler is have a mesh AN filter on the output side of my cooler but that is an extra $60bucks. Then I would add a diff cooler. Then I would add a trans cooler. You will need solid camber adjustment shims. You buy them as a kit or you make your own. The stock cams will move when you least expect it.

Liked
    442 times

I always recommend replacing the OEM belt tensioner. They look and feel good static, but on the dyno, at 6800 rpm, they bounce back and forth, causing the belt to whip interestingly. Been using the Katech since with no issues.
    bellwilliam and Schmoe Money like this.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    2461 times

at ACS yesterday, here is my video. C5 z06 with 315 Falken 615k+ on z06 rear squared, and BBK. 1:50.07

I had some issues at ACS, but didn't at Streets of Willow last week:
    1. oil puking out of air filter area. I think (Google say) it is caused by running 1 quart over (recommended by owners manual for tracking). Since ACS banking is famous for eating LSx engines (LS6 is supposedly to be one of better ones according to Trackhq), I am not sure what is worse ? letting oil enter air intake or letting oil run low on banking
    2. sticky clutch - yes, I did the ranger flush like 10 times in the past month. but I didn't use super duper SRF. It happens after the 3 long straights, then I have to use my toe lift the clutch pedals in order to downshift.
    3. even with fresh Motul RBF660 (and BBK), it faded (fluid fade) slightly. Already bought SRF online.
    4. high transmission temp warning

Last edited by bellwilliam; 02-12-2018 at 12:34 PM.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    220 times

Great lap!

Charley
    Olitho and bellwilliam like this.

Liked
    1450 times

Great lap William! Brave stuff.
    Olitho and bellwilliam like this.

Liked
    2285 times

Awesome lap William. Can I post your video on Facebook Spec Corvette?

https://www.facebook.com/SpecCorvette/
    bawareca likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    269 times

Well, since this thread has turned into the Z06 intro thread (hope SDSUsnowboards doesn't mind ), here's the 2002 Z06 I picked up over the weekend. It was part of an estate sale (sadly, the owner passed away not too long ago) up near Santa Rosa (north of the SF Bay area) and has only 49K miles. Mostly stock except for an Airaid CAI and possibly the shifter (very notchy feels like a Hurst but I don't know for sure). I drove the car 400 miles to my house in SoCal and was impressed at how solid the car felt on the road. Unlike my recently sold Boss 302, it makes speed without much fuss (the Boss 302 would ROAR!). Almost too civilized! It's yellow so bugs and CHP troopers can easily locate you. Also, no gold chains or AARP card found in glove box so I am slightly disappoint.

My long term goal (by early 2019) is to turn it into a Spec Corvette but near term goal is to do Time Trials/Global Time Attack this year with a mostly street-prepped car. Immediate plans prior to the first track day include:
    1. Baseline the maintenance (replace all fluids with race-spec stuff) and general safety inspection
    2. Install track brake pads
    3. Bigger radiator
    4. Engine oil cooler
    5. Replace the 8 year old tires with a street performance tire (UTOQ > 220) <-- need for GTA Enthusiast class (very limited prep)
    6. Replace valve springs since my car is a 2002 (more prone to failure than other years)

I have a few questions:
    1. Which engine, trans, and diff oil (brand and weight) do you guys recommend? (the guys on CorvetteForum say to avoid Mobil1)
    2. What's the consensus on installing the double valve springs vs standard single ones? Which valve springs do you recommend?
    3. Is there a good Corvette shop in the Los Angeles area that you recommend? I'm new to Vettes and don't mind shopping out certain work (such as valve spring replacement).

mike_z06.jpg
    Last edited by MikeColangelo; 02-12-2018 at 06:53 PM.

Liked
    2461 times

Mike:

Congrats !! This is now replacing s2k as an official Trackhq track car !!

1. What Iíve learned in a month of Vette ownership is ignore what CorvetteForum says. You have 3 of fastest Vette racers here on Trackhq. Brinkop, Tway and Oli. Just listen to them.

2. I used AMSoil synchromesh for transmission fluid, track is great but street driving sucks. I plan to go back to plain ATF, may be high temp version made by Redline. 75w140 for diff for me.

3. Short shifter sucks (and not legal for SC anyway) . Goto C6 shifter. It is much better than MGW crap. You can adjust shifter effort with a simple Cooper ring added by transmission

4. If you are racing eventually. Donít go with built in oil cooler (inside radiator). With 70f weather, I am already at 285F. Add 110f weather and a little drafting. It is gonna be 320F+ imo.

5. Replace seat right away. Do not try to fix stock. It is just a waste of time.
    MikeColangelo and JJ1 like this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    269 times

Thanks, William!
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    1643 times

William...Remote clutchline bleeder may solve problem if system not too fouled or high mileage. Black clutch fluid in reservoir is bad.
    Route PCV orifice on valley cover to catch can then back to intake manifold vacuum. I'm too lazy to empty catch can so i do vapor seperator/can draining back to sump via modified dipstick with check valve. CF is a good place. I have learned alot there. Some BS but you learn who is shoveling it after a while.
    Last edited by fatbillybob; 02-12-2018 at 10:54 PM.
    bellwilliam likes this.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    796 times

Mike, Yellow is a terrible color. Wanna trade?

William, tell me more about your cooling issues. Were you running strait water + water wetter? Is the shrouding around the radiator intact? I'm second guessing my decision to run the dewit radiator. I thought it is what the spec guys were running.
    bellwilliam and MikeColangelo like this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    2461 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    William, tell me more about your cooling issues. Were you running strait water + water wetter? Is the shrouding around the radiator intact? I'm second guessing my decision to run the dewit radiator. I thought it is what the spec guys were running.
    I am running Dewitt racing radiator with built in oil cooler. distilled water + wetter. I did seal around the radiator. I also JUST (after SoW, before ACS) added Trackspec hood vent. water temp is no problem now, only saw a max of 204F at ACS, but oil temp was 285F, which is fine. but this was a relatively cool day for SOCAL (75F). I am worried in a 100F day and drafting, oil temp will be 310-320F (that might still be okay ?).

I also did run into high transmission temp warning (per post earlier, only z06 has the sensor ?), somewhere I read that means it is ~280F+ to trigger transmission temp warning ?

my plan is to wrap sections of exhaust near transmission, and wrap clutch line.....per Tway's recommendation.
    I hate installing transmission and diff cooler. just a ton of more failure points imo. But if transmission and/or diff temp stay high. might just have to.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 02-13-2018 at 09:39 AM.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast