+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree193Likes

Thread: New-To-Me 2002 Corvette. HPDE Questions

Liked
    12 times

Congratulations welcome to the club. Your AARP card is in the mail . As for brake pads I've always have been a fan of hawks.
    Last edited by heypal; 12-21-2017 at 07:10 PM.
    SDSUsnowboards likes this.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    817 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Speaking of which, what ever happened with the MR2?
    Did you ever finish it? Has it been on track since we put the cage in it?
    Congrats on the new purchase!
    Ugh, life happened and the car has not been used since 2014. Competing priorities, and the looming, uncertain ambiguity of having way too many things to do to the car to make it ready to go. I may have bitten off more than I can chew with the project.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    1720 times

There were a couple of guys who loved racing the mr2 in AROSC.org Perhaps contact Terry Watson on traqHQ and put the word out and maybe sell it. Then you can spend more time putting some quick 1 day mods into the corvette for safety, speed and reliability?

Liked
    1720 times

If you stick to occassional hpde with the C5Z I got extra new old stock rotors and a new perfect set of brake calipers from my Z06 taken off my car at 7k miles. When oli and gang tracked these cars in T1 calipers spread after about 2 seasons of hard racing. I was lucky coming into T1 racing just a few mo0nths before SCCA allowed the big brake replacements. During the dark days when T1 had to use the OEM brakes rotors cracked on 3rd trackday. Many racers myself included ran the Carbotech xp12 front and xp10 rears with very good success. So once you get up to speed you will be replacing rotors. Running the car as light as possible helps with consumables. T1 was a near stock configuration back before 2012 and per rules we ran those cars at 3180lbs which is pretty light. Staying away from sticky dot-r tires will probably help with consumables too since tires will limit performance. The tires used for spec Corvette sound very promising.

Liked
    2528 times

not taking away your fame, but it would be stupid for me to create a new thread.

I've joined the Trackhq elite this past weekend. Thanks to Oli !! Now I really do feel superior to all of you....

04 z06. $10,500. 100k miles, 405HP, 3,100LB. with 2 big amps, 1 big ass sub, and about 80LB of Dynamat.

so it seems Big Brake is a must (especially for me, I abuse my brakes), so I ordered one. but then front 17" won't clear. so need to buy 2 more rears to run squared. but this means 4 new tires.......

my questions:

1. since transmission is in the back. do they make a trans/diff combo cooler ?
    2. do I need a race radiator and bigger oil cooler ?
    3. is Power steering gonna be an issue ? do I need a bigger power steering cooler ? I assume there is an OEM one ?

yes, I've spent quite a bit of time reading on Corvetteforum.com, but I can't tell who is fast and who is slow.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 12-26-2017 at 10:47 PM.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    2341 times

Congrats! I want first dibs on the 80 lb sub-woofers.

With regards to your questions:

1. since transmission is in the back. do they make a trans/diff combo cooler?
    I have never seen combo trans/diff coolers. As far as I know they are always separate.

2. do I need a race radiator and bigger oil cooler?
    You can get by on cooler days, but for SoCal you definitely want a big radiator and engine oil cooler for as hard as you will be driving. I have historically run them separately, but I have heard good reports on the integrated Dewitts set-up so I am trying that with my Spec Corvette. I won't know for sure how well it works until the late spring.

3. is Power steering gonna be an issue ? do I need a bigger power steering cooler ? I assume there is an OEM one?
    I have always used the OEM version on the Z06 and never had an issue.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

likes to left foot brake. passmenow's Avatar
    Liked
    99 times

I'll share my 2 cents, good advice here with all the SCCA/NASA C5 track prep experts are on this thread.
    C5 is a fun car at the track.

My current black C5Z is all stock and I've taken it to the track a few times.
    On street tires at Cal Speedway or Laguna both were great track days.

During cool weather the car ran fine, after 4 or 5 laps the oil temp would get up to 240 degrees.
    So just ran some cool down laps and temps dropped in time for a couple fast laps end of session.
    I disable all the nannies while on track.
    I think the C5 nannies are totally intrusive.

Half the fun was the round trip driving back roads from San Diego to Laguna.
    You know a real GT car experience, sure beat the normal slog towing via freeways.
    https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...years-eve.html

My first blue C5 had 460rwhp and was nicely track prepped.
    Coil overs, sway bars, roll bar and Big coolers everywhere it survived the warmer desert track days.
    It did have stock rotors with racing pads.
    It stopped well but on occasion it would do the ABS pedal pulsing.
    So I upgraded the front rotors and calipers and the brakes were perfect after that, no ABS shudder anymore.

On a warm day I was at Chuckwalla running on R rated tires.
    Maybe it was the added stress of the R rated tires but it wasted the wheel bearings that day.
    So I upgraded to SKF wheel bearings and did not have an issue anymore.
    Since the blue C5 was not Cal smog legal I sold it.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by passmenow; 12-27-2017 at 07:46 AM.
    74 911 RSR+.
    88 Imsa Camaro.
    93 Imsa Camaro.

Liked
    817 times

William, what a deal! How did you find that? I would have loved to pick up a Z. I must confess, I like the appearance of the base model better. One day I might turn it into a z06 by adding the rear brake vents and an LS6 (or converting the LS1 w/ heads and intake). Keep it stock. I'd love to compare our times to see the difference between a Z and a base corvette. I'm thinking of running WSIR with Xtreme Speed, an W13 with SV this spring. I'm keeping mine on mediocre tires to spare the brakes, but I might put a set of rear wheels on the front, if I can find a pair for the right price.

Bob, what do you want for the rotors?

Passmenow, thank you for the advice and input! My decision to use a Vette as my next track car is a direct result of this forum. The Vette is just a great car, the performance bargain of the century. I like the idea of cruising to/from the track with it. I don't think it can replace the MR2, but it is definitely a well-needed supplement. I need to get on a square setup ASAP to get the best from the platform.
    bellwilliam and passmenow like this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    2528 times

What size wheels and tire size on your C5 ?

It was Oli who helped me finding the car !! He is finally good for something !!

My brake is crap. Drill rotors and low pads. So I bought Spec Vette big brake kit. Might as well as it will be a Spec Vette soon. But this require new wheels (still researching) and tires (SV standard Falken).

Seat is crap. So thatís another mod bringing it closer to a race car
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 12-27-2017 at 02:34 PM.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    241 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post

not taking away your fame, but it would be stupid for me to create a new thread.

I've joined the Trackhq elite this past weekend. Thanks to Oli !! Now I really do feel superior to all of you....

04 z06. $10,500. 100k miles, 405HP, 3,100LB. with 2 big amps, 1 big ass sub, and about 80LB of Dynamat.

so it seems Big Brake is a must (especially for me, I abuse my brakes), so I ordered one. but then front 17" won't clear. so need to buy 2 more rears to run squared. but this means 4 new tires.......

my questions:

3. is Power steering gonna be an issue ? do I need a bigger power steering cooler ? I assume there is an OEM one ?

yes, I've spent quite a bit of time reading on Corvetteforum.com, but I can't tell who is fast and who is slow.
    Welcome to the dark side. . Congratulations!

Charley
    bellwilliam and heypal like this.

Liked
    241 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    “I don't think it can replace the MR2, but it is definitely a well-needed supplement.”
    I think we should revisit this quote after you get the Vette out on track. No disrespect to your other car, but I suspect after you have a few track days in the Vette you will forget how to spell MR2.

Enjoy the journey.

Charley
    Olitho, bellwilliam and passmenow like this.

Liked
    1720 times

my questions:

I think I am slow but don't really know. I race my C5Z now in T2 and the car is underoptimized to the rules. I did runoffs at Indy and had my car exactly as it left California in January. I raced it out of state all year and only changed the oil. I was 4th in national points going into the Runoffs and would have finished in the top 50% like I have done in all Championship Runoffs I have raced in the past. Winners in my class come with back-up cars and new tires for every session. I'm not competing with that. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

DRM makes the best individual tranny and diff cooler that goes in the rear brake duct area. That is the best reason for the Z06 rear brake duct area. I use a single dual phase cooler behind the rear license plate. This gives really good access to the electric pumps and cooler. Cooler has 2 in and 2 outs. Each in/out pair does not communicate with the other pair so you can cool 2 different fluids.

People say they get 250-60 F oil temps. I'm with BillyJ I see 260-280 and don't worry unless I see 300. I pick my oil viscosity based on racing oil temp. At 260-280 15-50 and 10 40 have viscosity of 10-30 @ 230-240 which is probably where the streetcar will live. Big radiator is needed. Oil cooler is needed. There is a cheapo chinese big radiator search on CF I can't remember the name. Big bucks on RonDavis or Dewitts used to be the only game in town. Best reason for using non-integral OC is when you blow up your motor you can just junk the cooler and not worry about it. With integral cooler you have to worry about blown engine debris showering OC. For that reason I run in-line AN filter after OC to catch any pieces that may go to engine.

Power steering is an issue. Turn One is only people capable of rebuilding PS pump reliably. It sucks when you blow a pump on travel and get one from autozone only to have it leak 5 races later. Ask me how I know? You will be seeing the puddle under my car at WSIR this friday. I'm mad and will let it leak for a while. Steering racks are getting rare with big core charges. I got one from Tway and the core was $400 bucks!!! Not his fault that is the way it is. Rebuilders are lame on racks too except TurnOne. Vette racks will eventually leak from the electro-mechanical wiring on the pump body. There is NO fix. Even Turn one has a website disclamier on that. My fix which has worked is to clean the area as the wires leave pump. squirt in super glue. Then cover with 5 min epoxy with the metal in it that is supposed to be like JB weld. Yes it is dumb but has worked for me twice so far. You want to remove the dumb plastic PS pump pulley and replace it with the metal LS2 motor PS pump pully. model year 2005-2007. You want to do this so you can take out the pump by having access to the bolts. The C5 pulley is "solid" and means much more pain if you have to remove the PS pump trackside.
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    2341 times

I concur with Fatbillybob on the Turn one powersteering racks and PS pumps. They are way better than any of the other rebuilders like Autozone that start leaking. Turn One does the rebuilds for most of the NASCAR teams and other race grade work.
    bellwilliam likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    817 times

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyH View Post
    I think we should revisit this quote after you get the Vette out on track. No disrespect to your other car, but I suspect after you have a few track days in the Vette you will forget how to spell MR2.

Enjoy the journey.

Charley
    How dare you talk about my girlfriend in that manner. She may be a little spooky, somewhat sensitive, and maybe a tad crazy, but... I forgot where I'm going with this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2084 times

Ugh, life happened and the car has not been used since 2014. Competing priorities, and the looming, uncertain ambiguity of having way too many things to do to the car to make it ready to go. I may have bitten off more than I can chew with the project.
    Oh no...
    Can't just put a junkyard stock engine and make it go?

Liked
    817 times

What size wheels and tire size on your C5 ?
    It's got the OEM wheels which I believe are 17x8.5 Front and 18x9.5 Rear, and the oem sized tires, 245mm in the front and 275mm in the rear. It needs a lot more tire and wheels, but that's $$$. I'll just make due with oem. Refurbished wheels are practically free.

Oh no...
    Can't just put a junkyard stock engine and make it go?
    I wish. The coolant system has yet to be routed. The oil is leaking from somewhere. Probably the filter sand which plate. It's always the G-damn sand which plate. #racerthings. Not requried, but high on my list of wants: I need to redesign and build the radiator shroud and corresponding ducting, and I need to rebuilt and install a front splitter with under panel. Finally, I need to wire in a knock controller and finish the install of the top panels. It's going to be fast, much faster than my stock corvette, but man, what a PITA.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2084 times

You know your project better than anyone else, but from where I'm sitting it sounds like there are some "want"s and some "need"s on the list.
    The car will be on track much faster if you limited the list to items are an absolute must, you can always rework things later.

Liked
    817 times

Looks like my maiden voyage will be at Button Willow with Speed Ventures this 27th or 28th. What kind of lap times should I expect with street tires? I've read 2:06 for a z06, but that seems unbelievably slow to me.

You know your project better than anyone else, but from where I'm sitting it sounds like there are some "want"s and some "need"s on the list.
    The car will be on track much faster if you limited the list to items are an absolute must, you can always rework things later.
    It's complicated. The oil cooling solution requires the water cooling system to incorporate a water-to-water core. I've tried constructing it with rubber and silicone, but it's prone to leaks. I want to use AN fittings for the coolant, but I need to get the fittings welded to the block and the hardlines. There isn't much space to work with. Also, the car has been sitting for so long I'll probably need to do something about the fuel in the tank, the lines, and the injectors. I'll need to replace the tires and belts too. I shouldn't have let it get to this point. Bad planning. What I need is a big chunk of money to get this all done, but I bought a Corvette instead. Haha.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    2528 times

Looks like my maiden voyage will be at Button Willow with Speed Ventures this 27th or 28th. What kind of lap times should I expect with street tires? I've read 2:06 for a z06, but that seems unbelievably slow to me.
    I love taking uneducated guess....
    I am gonna say 1:56s with say RE71R to 2:00 with All Season.

on that weekend, Spec Corvette will be having their first race.......... go say hi.... they are also on street tires.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    2528 times

I've learned a few things in last week or so (yes, this makes me an expert), about tracking a C5 Z06....

1. drop valve issue, then engine goes kaboom !!! this is a common issue. preventive measure is to replace all valve springs ($100), labor is pretty easy. I think this is LS6 issue only.
    2. hub. tracking, curbing, Hoosier destroy hubs by breaking off flange. this is very very unsafe. oh, studs break off too..... SFK race hub is $350 EACH !!!!!
    3. with any decent driver, it will need big radiator, oil cooler and trans cooler. diff cooler may be.
    4. If you stay with Federal RS-RR (up to 275 only), tire cost isn't too bad... they are ~$110 each !!!!!!!! who knew Vette tires can be this cheap.
    5. replacing seats isn't that easy in a Vette. There are very little room for a wider seat. pretty surprising to me. Average Vette drivers are 250LB. I think the idea is using center console and door cards as side bolsters ?
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 01-05-2018 at 03:55 PM.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast