2014 BMW M235i First Drive

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2398 times

I believe BMW has lost the course.
    suki101 and Force McCocken like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

3,505. That's about 200lbs heavier than the carbon-roofed M4. Then again it's ~200lbs heavier than an E36 M3. Seems like the M235 has similar power and weight numbers to the new 2.3L Turbo-4 Mustang.

Liked
    237 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    I believe BMW has lost the course.
    This.

I was hoping for something better the 1M coupe but this isn't much of an improvement. Besides being heavy, it still doesn't have a true M motor. Disappointing. I may be in the minority here but I like the edgier 128i/135i styling better.

Lastly, for this much coin, I'd rather buy a Boss Mustang.

Liked
    1477 times

BMW lost the course at least 15 years ago. Every new 3-series generation is bigger, heavier, more expensive, and more filled with useless luxury gadgets. The 1 series was about 500 lbs. heavier than it should have been. Same for this M235. And the prices? Holy crap, Mein Fuhrer!!!
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    3,505. That's about 200lbs heavier than the carbon-roofed M4. Then again it's ~200lbs heavier than an E36 M3. Seems like the M235 has similar power and weight numbers to the new 2.3L Turbo-4 Mustang.
    Billy seems to be pretty interested the 300 hp I.R.S. Turbo-4 Mustang (it is the second time that he has mentioned it), which will be an upgrade from the V-6 with less weight and more (and flatter) torque.

It may lack a certain import cachet, but it could be real competition in the app. $30K, new car market. Look out BRZ?
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 01-21-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Liked
    375 times

The European Union's definition of curb weight includes the car, with no options, a full tank of gas, and also 165 pounds (75 kg) for the svelte and hypothetical driver and a nominal piece of Louis Vuitton luggage.

In the rest of the world, curb weight includes gas, but not a hypothetical driver. (Some other curb weight definitions are different, and most of the definitions have changed over time.)

Still, BMW continues to use space-age materials to make very capable and really, really heavy cars. Because in reality, the percentage of drivers who actually take their cars to racetracks is negligible.
    Last edited by Jack Olsen; 01-21-2014 at 09:41 PM.
    JJ1 likes this.

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    BMW lost the course at least 15 years ago. Every new 3-series generation is bigger, heavier, more expensive, and more filled with useless luxury gadgets. The 1 series was about 500 lbs. heavier than it should have been. Same for this M235. And the prices? Holy crap, Mein Fuhrer!!!
    Unlike any other manufacturer In 2014 even Ford couldnt relaunch the Aspire,for many reasons

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    Unlike any other manufacturer In 2014 even Ford couldnt relaunch the Aspire,for many reasons
    Unlike any mfgr. but Lotus, but they gave up too, replacing the 2000 lbs. Elise/Exige with the 3000 lbs.+ Evora. Crap . . .
    bawareca likes this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    97 times

I may be getting old, but BMW makes great daily drivers.. I drove a friend's Porsche 911 the other day and it was quite sucky to drive slow.. Felt great to get back in my Bimmer on the 405 in rush hour.

I have learned in life that a man needs 2 cars at the very minimum. Unless you're a real man:

oh-canada.jpg

Liked
    1486 times

BMW makes the best cars on the road right now IMO. But they are trying to be everything to everybody diluting their brand. That said. This is what I am waiting for and hope to buy soon as mt next race car. $80K factory racecar that I hope will have smatterings of p-bug GT3 factory support.

2014 BMW M235i Race Car Shows Off In New Video
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Unlike any mfgr. but Lotus, but they gave up too, replacing the 2000 lbs. Elise/Exige with the 3000 lbs.+ Evora. Crap . . .
    Not defending BMW here.Every new model from every manufacturer comes heftier than the previous.FACT.
    There was experiment by Top Gera number of years ago.They dropped E30 on it's roof from maybe 20-25 ft.The roof collapsed completely,all the way to the beltline.I am sure the same will happen with E36.It may be a bit stronger,but it is also heavier.Today's safety regulations(for good or bad) will not allow such a car on the market.Same thing is you cant compare 1992 Civic with 2012 Civic,which still lacks metal,but is somewhat stronger.That is why today's cars have a layers of steel inside.That and the nannies,makes them pigs.You have no idea what measures for weight savings BMW took for the current generation X5 and it still comes at mind boggling 6300 lbs.

Liked
    60 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    Every new model from every manufacturer comes heftier than the previous.FACT.
    Isn't the M4 lighter than the e92 M3?
    Follow my racing: https://www.youtube.com/ryandhouck
    2009 Yamaha R6 (race bike)
    2014 Triumph Street Triple R (street bike)
    2009 Honda S2000
    2008 BMW M3 (sold)

Liked
    60 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    Still, BMW continues to use space-age materials to make very capable and really, really heavy cars. Because in reality, the percentage of drivers who actually take their cars to racetracks is negligible.
    But in terms of driving experience, imo lightweight lends itself to noticeably more fun on the street (perhaps more so even than the track). For example, my e92 M3 felt like a pig on the street -- it only starts to feel fun at really high speeds. It was an atrocious backroad car, albeit a good highway car and a capable track car.

Whereas a lower powered, lower weight car (e.g., Miata, S2000, BRZ) is plenty fun at sane (and not getting arrested) speeds on a backroad.

Outside of burnouts and highway pulls, I don't understand the creep towards heavy, high horsepower cars -- as they are impossible to enjoy in an even semi-legal manner on public roads.

Heavy cars are certainly more comfortable (generally speaking), but they certainly are not fun to drive.
    Richard EVO likes this.
    Follow my racing: https://www.youtube.com/ryandhouck
    2009 Yamaha R6 (race bike)
    2014 Triumph Street Triple R (street bike)
    2009 Honda S2000
    2008 BMW M3 (sold)

Liked
    854 times

My heaven's:

An M series without a locking differential? So sad . . . .

I guess "M" now stands for "middling", "mediocre", or maybe "missing pieces".

2014 BMW M235i First Drive - Motor Trend
    JJ1 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread