Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SDSUsnowboards

Thread: New law allows turn key replicas

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2588 times

Default New law allows turn key replicas

Linky: SAN Legislative Alert

Cut and paste from the SEMA email I received today below. So, what 25 year old replica with current CARB legal power would you like to see? Personally, a 1600 lb tube framed, fiberglass bodied '89 Miata with a 2.0L SAG from the new Miata would be pretty cool.

New Law Will Spur Sales for Replica Car Companies and Their Suppliers
    Thanks to a new SEMA-sponsored federal law, companies will soon have the option of selling completed turn-key replica vehicles. The new law establishes a simplified regulatory program for low volume vehicle manufacturers that will increase sales of replica cars and parts installed in the cars. Prior to the change in the law, replica car customers only had the option of building these cars from a kit and installing the engine/transmission since the federal government subjected the small automakers to the same rules as companies that produce millions of cars.

Details on the New Law
    SEMA-sponsored legislation (HR 2675) introduced in Congress by Rep. Markwayne Mullin (R-OK) and Rep. Gene Green (D-TX) was signed into law by President Obama as part of a larger bill funding highway construction.

Low volume manufacturers (up to 5,000 motor vehicles a year global production) now have the option of selling up to 325 replica vehicles in the U.S. each year.

A replica is a vehicle that resembles the body of another motor vehicle produced at least 25 years ago (ex: 32 Roadster, 65 Cobra, etc.).

Previously, companies were unable to sell turn-key cars since the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regulated these vehicles as if they were current model year vehicles, not vintage cars.

The new law treats these replicas the same as kit cars, subject to certain equipment standards (lighting, tires, windshields, brake hoses, etc.), recalls and remedies but not vehicle standards (roof crush, side impact, etc.).

Enthusiasts still have the option of building replicas and specialty constructed vehicles from kits.

Vehicles produced by the companies will have a current model year engine package certified by the EPA or California Air Resources Board and are exempt from emissions testing.

NHTSA and the EPA have one year to issue regulations to implement the new program. SEMA will work with these agencies to speed the process, which should take effect in early 2017.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    817 times

two more years before a replica McLaren F1 will be CARB legal? It's a good time to be alive!
    SteveLevin likes this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    145 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    • Vehicles produced by the companies will have a current model year engine package certified by the EPA or California Air Resources Board and are exempt from emissions testing.
    So no BP4W and 90-05 drivetrain in these Replica Car cars?

Since they do not meet vehicle standards (roof crush, side impact, etc.). I would assume they could be very light and 150whp would just fine in a 1,500lbs car.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2588 times

Quote Originally Posted by granth View Post
    So no BP4W and 90-05 drivetrain in these Replica Car cars?

Since they do not meet vehicle standards (roof crush, side impact, etc.). I would assume they could be very light and 150whp would just fine in a 1,500lbs car.
    Read the whole article. New, emissions compliant engine. Typically this means everything up to the first cat, ECU, harness, DBW, external emissions bits. Could make for some pretty neat cars. For that matter, one could drop a CARB legal LSx motor if engine from other makers are allowed. It's always been possible to BAR a car with a mixn match engine. That's how Flyin Miata does their CARB legal LSx swap kits.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

+ Reply to Thread