+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Loose Caboose
  • 1 Post By fatbillybob
  • 1 Post By Olitho
  • 1 Post By Stuntman
  • 3 Post By redtopz

Thread: New Crate Choice for 'Vette Block

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Rolling Hills Estates
    Posts
    3,003
    Liked
    887 times

    Default New Crate Choice for 'Vette Block

    Olitho likes this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member fatbillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    by the beach
    Posts
    2,087
    Liked
    1720 times

    Default

    Plus $4k for the drysump you have to add because LS3 are grenades.
    bawareca likes this.

  3. #3
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,332
    Liked
    763 times

    Default

    Cool!
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  4. #4
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,235
    Liked
    2343 times

    Default

    That is pretty awesome. I can see a Spec Corvette Pro build with a $6,000/600 HP engine, rear wing, splitter and four wheel big brake kit at $35,000/3,000 lbs total build turning sub 1:40 laps at ACS and sub 1:20 at WSIR and low 1:40s at BRP 13CW.
    bawareca likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  5. #5
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,235
    Liked
    2343 times

    Default

    If I was just building a track day car this engine would be awesome. I suppose it would be killer if I was racing NASA ST1, but I don't. Short of that for SCCA GT2 and T1, and Trans Am TA3 this engine is not legal.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  6. #6
    Senior Member fatbillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    by the beach
    Posts
    2,087
    Liked
    1720 times

    Default

    SCCA GT2 class leader

  7. #7
    Faster than Oli jimt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    674
    Liked
    454 times

    Default

    Woah, talk about inadvertent click bait batman. This thread title is misleading. Katech is offering a short block, not a crate engine, for $5900. You still need heds, cam, intake, throttlebody, front accessory drive and more to be a "crate engine". You'd be easily out another $4000 to be a crate engine. Still a cool shortblock, but you can get any good enginebuilder on the block to build you that shortblock for much less.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

    Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

  8. #8
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,235
    Liked
    2343 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    SCCA GT2 class leader
    Stroking the engine to 416 cu kicks it out of acceptable GT2 engine configurations if I am not mistaken.

    corvette-gt2-engine-specs.png
    Last edited by Olitho; 10-19-2017 at 08:13 PM.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  9. #9
    Faster than Oli jimt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    674
    Liked
    454 times

    Default

    Correct, GT2 requires stock displacements.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

    Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

  10. #10
    "Shoe"
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,856
    Liked
    590 times

    Default

    I'd rather de-stroke it and rev it to 8K to make 600hp.

    4.8L Crank + LS3 Block: How to Build an 8,000 rpm LS Destroker - Hot Rod Network
    BOWERSdaAZIAN likes this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member robburgoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,008
    Liked
    1495 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    I'd rather de-stroke it and rev it to 8K to make 600hp.

    4.8L Crank + LS3 Block: How to Build an 8,000 rpm LS Destroker - Hot Rod Network
    Interesting. Is it a cost effective winner over going longer? With the older SBC the destroker seems to be largely a money waster.

  12. #12
    "Shoe"
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,856
    Liked
    590 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Interesting. Is it a cost effective winner over going longer? With the older SBC the destroker seems to be largely a money waster.
    Why would it be a money waster?

    Katech stroker - $5,900

    "From there, the company installed a handful of additional high-performance components to ensure 600 horsepower isn't out of reach in the simplest applications (what additional is required for 600hp?) including Mahle pistons, rings and wrist pins, and 6.125-inch Callies H-beam connecting rods.

    Katech sells the other components required to finish assembly of the 416 short block engine, namely the camshaft, but at a price of $5,899, it's a fairly solid deal. The masterminds at Katech will also tune and test customers' engines since, well, they know what they're doing.


    AFR LSX 230 V2 heads - $2,600
    LR4 Crank - $200
    Holley Hi-Ram Intake - $750
    Pistons & Rods - $1-2,000
    Brian Tooley Racing Cam - $450

    =Worst case $6,000 for a proven 605HP.

    Seems pretty comparable to me for a high-revving unique LS motor. Not sure how it's a "money waster"?

  13. #13
    Spec Backhoe Champion redtopz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,234
    Liked
    990 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    I'd rather de-stroke it and rev it to 8K to make 600hp.

    4.8L Crank + LS3 Block: How to Build an 8,000 rpm LS Destroker - Hot Rod Network
    Absolutely yes! High rev/high power/lower torque is much better for road racing than a stroker, low rpm torque monster. Throw in the inherent higher piston speed of a stroker and you get a less reliable engine as well. And more difficult to drive and put power down coming out of corners. Danny Popp has had good success with his destroked LS7 Lingefelter engine.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

  14. #14
    Senior Member robburgoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,008
    Liked
    1495 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Why would it be a money waster?

    Katech stroker - $5,900

    "From there, the company installed a handful of additional high-performance components to ensure 600 horsepower isn't out of reach in the simplest applications (what additional is required for 600hp?) including Mahle pistons, rings and wrist pins, and 6.125-inch Callies H-beam connecting rods.

    Katech sells the other components required to finish assembly of the 416 short block engine, namely the camshaft, but at a price of $5,899, it's a fairly solid deal. The masterminds at Katech will also tune and test customers' engines since, well, they know what they're doing.


    AFR LSX 230 V2 heads - $2,600
    LR4 Crank - $200
    Holley Hi-Ram Intake - $750
    Pistons & Rods - $1-2,000
    Brian Tooley Racing Cam - $450

    =Worst case $6,000 for a proven 605HP.

    Seems pretty comparable to me for a high-revving unique LS motor. Not sure how it's a "money waster"?
    Read my post again...

  15. #15
    "Shoe"
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,856
    Liked
    590 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Read my post again...
    I don't need to. Clarify. What "old" SBC are you referring to?

    Edit - unless you're referring to Pre-LS 327, 350s, & 400s. Or you could call the LS platform as "old".

    I think that link answers your question on how well a destroked LS3 works.
    Last edited by Stuntman; 10-21-2017 at 08:54 AM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Rolling Hills Estates
    Posts
    3,003
    Liked
    887 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimt View Post
    Woah, talk about inadvertent click bait batman. This thread title is misleading. Katech is offering a short block, not a crate engine . . .
    Thank you for your correction.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts