+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New Civic Daily Driver

Liked
    854 times

Default New Civic Daily Driver

Honda's unusually fast reaction to tepid market response. Rumor is that a 2015 Type R is in the works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new-civic-coupe.jpg  
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 11-17-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Liked
    744 times

No hatch, no care.
    Honda always floats a rumor of bringing the type R over, but all we really get is some HFP body kit or Mugen styling bull****.

How is this car relevant as a coupe? BRZ/FRS will eat it's lunch and slap it's momma. As a hatch, you have the GTI, Mini, Mazda 3, Subaru Impreza. Honda's quality has really stagnated, much like it's styling and product offerings. It's a shame because I want to like it, but WTH am I going to do with a FWD coupe? My last, truly fun-to-drive Honda was an Acura Integra. Pilot? Garbage. S2K? Extinct. Si? Bland with no hatch. As much as love their motors, they need to put their efforts back into what made them great...sporty, functional, economical vehicles.
    Last edited by Force McCocken; 11-17-2012 at 07:06 PM.
    bawareca, DutchOven and Zzyzx85 like this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    No hatch, no care.
    Honda always floats a rumor of bringing the type R over, but all we really get is some HFP body kit or Mugen styling bull****.

How is this car relevant as a coupe? BRZ/FRS will eat it's lunch and slap it's momma. As a hatch, you have the GTI, Mini, Mazda 3, Subaru Impreza. Honda's quality has really stagnated, much like it's styling and product offerings. It's a shame because I want to like it, but WTH am I going to do with a FWD coupe? My last, truly fun-to-drive Honda was an Acura Integra. Pilot? Garbage. S2K? Extinct. Si? Bland with no hatch. As much as love their motors, they need to put their efforts back into what made them great...sporty, functional, economical vehicles.
    Acuras sure have gotten ugly.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    28 times

Agree. My '90 Civic DX hatch was fun and I did my first autocrosses in it. My '92 Civic Si hatch was even more fun. I miss that car. But I have to say my wife's '07 (RIP: guy ran a red light and totalled it) & '11 GTIs are better in almost every way... I still kind of want a Mazdaspeed3 for a DD.

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by gkmccready View Post
    Agree. My '90 Civic DX hatch was fun and I did my first autocrosses in it. My '92 Civic Si hatch was even more fun. I miss that car. But I have to say my wife's '07 (RIP: guy ran a red light and totalled it) & '11 GTIs are better in almost every way... I still kind of want a Mazdaspeed3 for a DD.
    I was looking at GTIs online yesterday and clicked on the comparison page. I was surprised that the 'Speed3 was only EPA rated 18/25. That and I'm not a fan of the current front end will keep me away from buying one. I'd more likely buy a GTI.
    Last edited by Red_5; 11-18-2012 at 11:38 AM.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    366 times

MS3 gas numbers in the real world are way lower than 18/25, I can tell you that.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    7 times

have you guys driven the focus ST? it's really really fun. rotates nicely off throttle and practically no turbo lag. i would probably get that over a GTI or ms3, unless you're looking at used.

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    MS3 gas numbers in the real world are way lower than 18/25, I can tell you that.
    That's good to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    have you guys driven the focus ST? it's really really fun. rotates nicely off throttle and practically no turbo lag. i would probably get that over a GTI or ms3, unless you're looking at used.
    I'm not seriously looking but I would check out the ST if I were. Still want to buy my Subaru?

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    I was looking at GTIs online yesterday and clicked on the comparison page. I was surprised that the 'Speed3 was only EPA rated 18/25. That and I'm not a fan of the current front end will keep me away from buying one. I'd more likely buy a GTI.
    The original Speed3 did look much better. In the meantime, the new Focus ST supposedly trumps both the Speed3 and the GTI as a "performance" hatch that can handle most family cargo duties.

Liked
    744 times

I was looking at the Golf 4dr TDi last year. I don't know if I can bring myself, or convince my wife, to own another German car.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    258 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    ....I was surprised that the 'Speed3 was only EPA rated 18/25.....
    LOL,,, I can get mine it into the low 30's if I work at it,,,, but 99% of the time, my tanks come out in the low teens, even got a few tanks under 10, those are my favorites.

BID
    Red_5 likes this.

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    I was looking at the Golf 4dr TDi last year. I don't know if I can bring myself, or convince my wife, to own another German car.
    Very practical pick. If you like the diesel, Mazda is going to offer a 4 cyl. turbo diesel next year ("they" say): Diesel-Powered Mazda to Arrive in the U.S. in Early 2013

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    Very practical pick. If you like the diesel, Mazda is going to offer a 4 cyl. turbo diesel next year ("they" say): Diesel-Powered Mazda to Arrive in the U.S. in Early 2013
    That article is 10 months old or so. I'd feel better if we had more recent updates on the matter.

If we get Mazda diesels, I think it will start with the 6 and maybe the CX-5. I've also questioned Jeremy Barnes about this last spring and he claims the US will get them. I think the only way I would buy a CX-5 or 6 would be with a diesel.

Liked
    744 times

I think the CX5 will be the huckleberry pick for the first Mazda diesel in the US. I would definitely consider it as my wife's DD. The reviews on the diesel CX5 in markets where it is available have been particularly good.
    Yer pal,
    Force

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2398 times

I came close to buying a skyactiv CX5 but opted for a Prius instead. I test drove the CX5 and really liked it. The CX5 ended up not quite enough more fun to offset the higher cost of ownership. The Prius is nearly zero fun but the overall cost per mile is wacky low for a new car.
    diesel CX5 here I see myself trading in the Prius for one. CPM of a diesel CX5 would be reasonable, torque is fun.

Genereally agreed on Honda staleness. They have become too much like Toyota. I mean where are the engireering statement cars like the 1st through3rd gen civics, 1st and 2nd gen Integras? I still rate the 1st gen Civic right up there with the NA Miata on the fun to drive o meter.

If the Focus ST stays affordable and proves reliable, it will probably take over as the new bargain hot hatch. Kudos to the blue oval.
    Has anyone looked at the CR-Z with Jackson Racings CARB certified Rotrex? 200whp and 40mpg highway.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Has anyone looked at the CR-Z with Jackson Racings CARB certified Rotrex? 200whp and 40mpg highway.
    I would say 200hp OR 40 mpg.As the guys in C&D always say,hybrids driven as real cars get a fuel mileage as a real cars
    There was a Top Speed experiment a few years ago.They put a Prius on the track,to be driven at full speed(I am not sure if BellWilliam was the driver ) and a 343hp M3 to follow him closely.After a few hours the Prius got 17 mpg and the M3 got 19 mpg,not sure about the exact numbers,but we got the idea.

Liked
    38 times

The Focus ST has perked my interest as well for a fun daily with room. One thing about the car that is a bit annoying is the 39+ foot turning circle which is about the same as a Chevy Tahoe...

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    No back seat, not even a small one for little ones. Isn't the Focus ST rated 39 hwy with a bunch more than 200 hp?

Edit: I'm wrong, less powerful Focus gets 40 mpg hwy, ST is rated 32 hwy.
    Last edited by Red_5; 11-20-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Liked
    744 times

I still get 30 mpg in my POS '02 RSX with 110k on it. Should be batter after I give it a tune and clearance the valves. I forgot how much FWD suck when you push them, but in driving, nor'easter rains, it's solid on freeway at 70-80. Meh, it works well for what I need at the moment.

Good on Ocsar to punch that rotrex kit through. I would like to drive one. Still, I would just like to see Honda take that car and offer a regular version of it. I still like the engineering on the K-series engines, hate the chassis they are all in. Is the TSX the last DW Honda available with a manual transmission?
    Last edited by Force McCocken; 11-20-2012 at 10:39 AM.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    744 times

Something else to chew on...

I look at power equipment, like a mower or generator, and I see a Honda engine in it, my mind says,"**** yeah!"

I see a new Honda 'sports car', and my head says,"Hell no!"
    Yer pal,
    Force

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast