Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: New AIM Solo 2 announced !!

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Nurburgring View Post
    My first impressions after using the SOLO2 (non-DL):
    - It`s lighter
    - Smaller battery, last a lot less than SOLO1 (forget about using the backlit screen, that will suck the battery up in 2 hours tops)
    - Advertised Iphone app does not exist (supposed to be in development)
    - "Race Studio 3" is just the computer-to-solo interface, the analysis tool is exactly the same as ever (with all good and bad things that come with it)
    - No cable connection to the computer, only Wifi. Sounds like a great idea but it`s much slower

It`s still a great tool. Personally I like the previous one better, SOLO2 seems like a slightly downgraded, cheaper to build version.
    Thanks for the review. I suspected that the "tank-like" construction of the SOLO1 would be lost with the increased feature set of the SOLO2. I feel that is a reasonable compromise though. What is disappointing to hear is the battery life. Have you actually used the SOLO2 with backlight and confirmed the battery life? I have used our SOLO1 for 8-hour endures on battery only. Certainly a nice convenience to stick it on the window and go. Sounds like the SOLO2 will REQUIRE a battery connections for sure.

Liked
    4 times

I sure hope this product from AiM is more reliable than what they've put out in the past.

I just made the decision to ditch AiM and have moved on to a simple Racelogic datalogger. Works great so far, far superior to AiM.

If you want to take my AiM EVO 4 and SmartyCam off my hands, here you go:

$1 starting price; no reserve.

Here is a link to my eBay auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AiM-EV4-dat...m/222902036644

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    I sure hope this product from AiM is more reliable than what they've put out in the past.
    I just made the decision to ditch AiM and have moved on to a simple Racelogic datalogger. Works great so far, far superior to AiM.
    Sucks that you went through so much trouble, but I guarantee you there is someone who has gone through the same hell with RaceLogic, and Motec, and Traqmate, etc, name your brand. Its comes with the territory of electronics and particularly software.

As for "simple" and "superior", those are pretty bold blanket claims to make with nothing to support them. Why do you feel your RaceLogic solution is simplier? What makes its superior?

Is the AIM SOLO/SMARTCAM system for everyone? Absolutely not, but what I can say from using it for the last few years is I don't have to do anything other than make sure there is a SD card in the camera. It turns itself on, it recognizes the track, it starts and stops by itself. The hardware usage part does not get any simpler, and I can focus on my racing and driving and not worry about is my video recording, etc.
    Now the data analysis software is reportedly not the most user-friendly, but after some YouTube tutorials I found my way.

Then there is AIM support. I recently went through my first "issue" with AIM when I purchased a secondary GPS module. SmartyCam would not recognize it. Sent it to AIM, and they said there was a bad wire. They trimmed it down, tested it and sent it back. Still didn't work for me. So I sent it back and second time and they simply sent me another new GPS and it works fine. Source of the problem? Who knows, but they made it right.
    markn likes this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    401 times

I had a customer recently that had issues with a SmartyCam that was 2 years old. AiM replaced the camera with a newer model. No charge. Another had the camera fall off of his formula car and bounce down the track and get run over several times. Case cracked. Lens busted. Destroyed. AiM took it back and refurbished it. Charged shipping costs only. The company is getting larger so who knows how long they can keep this up but I'll ride the pony until it bucks me off. Great guys to work with. Now, if they would just ship the Solo DL my life would be complete.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    89 times

Thanks for the indirect status update on the Solo 2 DL. Patiently waiting... Just hoping this time is to workout all the bugs. I always get a bit nervous when brand new models that haven't had at least a year on the market to workout all the bugs.
    BryanPendleton likes this.
    SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Kam
    Liked
    90 times

I'm just anxious to spend $600+... Was hoping to get a Solo DL before a Speedventures event on 4/21... [fingers crossed]
    4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Liked
    1 times

So one of the early posters indicated that the base Solo does not have any cable connections for the purpose of getting data into the laptop. Is that the case with the DL as well? Also when do you think they will ship the DLs =D

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by markn View Post
    I had a customer recently that had issues with a SmartyCam that was 2 years old. AiM replaced the camera with a newer model. No charge. Another had the camera fall off of his formula car and bounce down the track and get run over several times. Case cracked. Lens busted. Destroyed. AiM took it back and refurbished it. Charged shipping costs only.
    At the SCCA races I see the AIM van there often. They are always happy to help out racers. In the early days of SOLO the on track guys solved every problem. Later they went around the paddock and ask us if we wanted the latest aim firmware setup and they did it for us and added in new tracks too. Great people! I have one of the 1st solo's and it is still working great. I'm not that smart and like just having a couple of buttons.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    0 times

Hey!

I wanted a lap timer for my Formula Ford. I hesitated a lot with the Alfano DSGPSi and the coming 6 but ended up ordering a Solo 2 tonight. I was sold with the predictive lap time capability.

Not impressed with Race Studio 3 so far : it's pretty useless, what you actually use is Race Studio Analysis and it's still the v2...
    Last edited by Martini; 04-04-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Liked
    2357 times

My AiM Solo, Solo DL and SmartyCam have been nothing but reliable since day one. I have trouble learning software as a general rule, but a day with a coach who knows the AiM software was a big help.

Liked
    0 times

Does the solo actually have an accelerometer? All tutorial I've watched show "GPS acceleration"

Liked
    1 times

I would think so since that is how it measures lateral/longitudinal G force.

Liked
    2531 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    My AiM Solo, Solo DL and SmartyCam have been nothing but reliable since day one. I have trouble learning software as a general rule, but a day with a coach who knows the AiM software was a big help.
    issue I've always had was not recognizing the track I am at (yes, I used the track manager thing, and updated all tracks and used latest firmware). not all tracks, just 1/2 of the tracks I've been.
    I always resort to manual create new track. Same issue with my Smartycam, except it only recognized 1 of 4 tracks I've been... and create new track is more hassle. I just use Garmin Virb Ultra 30, which is a poor mans' Smarty Cam....but better resolution..
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    158 times

Quote Originally Posted by Martini View Post
    Does the solo actually have an accelerometer? All tutorial I've watched show "GPS acceleration"
    It does but i found the accelerometer data is more subject to being spiky, and often disagrees with the GPS lateral G's. I find the GPS numbers more believable so i use those.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by clskinny View Post
    I would think so since that is how it measures lateral/longitudinal G force.
    The acceleration being the derivative of the speed, it can calculate it from the GPS speed (which, itself, is the derivative of the distance).

Quote Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle View Post
    It does but i found the accelerometer data is more subject to being spiky, and often disagrees with the GPS lateral G's. I find the GPS numbers more believable so i use those.
    Is your Solo on a fixed part of your car or on the steering?

Liked
    158 times

Quote Originally Posted by Martini View Post
    The acceleration being the derivative of the speed, it can calculate it from the GPS speed (which, itself, is the derivative of the distance).

Is your Solo on a fixed part of your car or on the steering?
    Fixed to dash.

Liked
    0 times

I watched the whole playlist of Aim sport LLC and they always show the GPS Gs, so I guess it's more accurate. Or maybe these spikes give you information about bad steering inputs from time to time?

Still expecting to receive my Solo 2, it's out of stock for now :-(

Liked
    401 times

Not so
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports

Liked
    1 times

any updates on when the DL will ship

Liked
    401 times

It was 2 weeks a month ago.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast