+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: New AIM Solo 2 announced !!

Liked
    2341 times

Ha Ha! William, you crack me up.

It would be great if Aim developed something specifically for the C5/Spec Corvette. I would like to see that DA system become the standard for the class. I think SPM is using Aim to great success. Is that correct?

Trans Am also is putting Aim in all our cars during qualifying and racing and then the retrieve them afterwards to do balance of power adjustments. It seems to be not only a good platform, but the defacto standard now instead of Traqmate.

Be aware that one problem Aim might be running into on the C5 is that the ODB2 setup is of such an early generation that I think standards were less defined back then and I don't think they can grab some of the data for some reason.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2528 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Ha Ha! William, you crack me up.

It would be great if Aim developed something specifically for the C5/Spec Corvette. I would like to see that DA system become the standard for the class. I think SPM is using Aim to great success. Is that correct?.
    yes, AIM Solo is working great with SuperMiata. Although we don't use the DL, just plain AIM Solo, because of ECU thing.

1. magnetic, we stick it in a competitors car. by default (without pulling out a laptop), you can see each lap's TOP SPEED . this is a crude way of judging a car's top end power. If one is making too much power, it would be obvious.

2. everybody use AIM (Miata drivers are cheap, so $400 AIM Solo it is), we all compare data. We make everyone share their AIM data.

3. although AIM software is one of the worst in the industry, but AIM Solo hardware is cheap, small (stick it anywhere) and reliable (it is surprising, but most data system out there are pretty unreliabe), so it has become a defacto standard in amateur racing. in reality, predictive timing gives you 70% of a data logger, it is what most people only use it for anyway (again, AIM software is not helping)..
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 12-08-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    MikeColangelo and Red_5 like this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    763 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post

3. although AIM software is one of the worst in the industry,
    Is it worse than Racepak?
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    401 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam;152771
    yes, AIM Solo is working great with SuperMiata. Although we don't use the DL, just plain AIM Solo, because of ECU thing.
    A lot of the SPM cars I have dealt with are using Megasquirt ecus. The CAN support for this ecu is very good. If you've got a MS ecu in your SPM it is well worth the money for the Solo2 DL.

The other reason for the DL is the tight integration with the SmartyCam systems.

RS2 Analysis like all complex software has a learning curve. It is not a tinker toy platform like some other systems. Fortunately for us, AiM has pushed back against a dumbed down analysis tool and instead gives us access to the big boy toys even with the low end loggers. If you are struggling with RS please give me a call. Happy to help.

A great resource for Race Studio, Aim Hardware, and data logging in general, is the LearnFast YouTube video series produced by AiM's trainer, Roger Caddell, 59 videos and counting:

https://www.youtube.com/user/aimdata

Mark
    Last edited by markn; 12-08-2017 at 01:26 PM.
    MikeColangelo likes this.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    2528 times

Trust me. Iíve watched most of those YouTube video. Traqmate (but their hardware sucks) is x10 times better. AIM software is probably 10 Yearís behind.

Since I now have Smarty cam (just bought from you!!), I will be interested in DL.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    2528 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    Is it worse than Racepak?
    Haha. Racepak is probably worse
    Red_5 likes this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2584 times

Racepak definitely worse. AIM software is not always intuitive but it almost always functions and has halfway decent documentation. Racepak software often doesn't work and has miserable documentation. That and AIM hardware has proven far more robust than Racepak. We switched from Racepak to AIM about 3 years ago after
    having several unsolved hardware and software issues that affected a very large and expensive pile of their equipment on our cars.
    Red_5 likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    401 times

I guess they have not heard of Spec Vette !!
    If the c5 doesnít give it aim canít read it
    bellwilliam and bawareca like this.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports

Liked
    3 times

the AIM customer service team has been excellent to all my support requests.

for the real time delta display, i've been able to set it up simply using the customized alarm.

for ex see attached screen shot, this would light up LED1 in RED if your current delta is slower than your session bestlap up to 0.1second, and LED1 in Blue if your current delta is faster than your session best lap up to 0.1 seoncd.
    you can setup multiple led lights like this, for ex. LED2 for +- 0.2 second, LED3 for +-0.3 second.

credit for this one goes to Mike Jaynes at AIM

screen-shot-2017-06-05-11.30.49-am.png

screen-shot-2017-06-05-11.29.53-am.png
    bellwilliam and GraemeD like this.

OJR
    Liked
    110 times

WIFI ?
    Yeah. This feature is found on the new MXS/MXG. I have been trying to remember to use it more on my MXS.

You can connect and download AIM data without having to reach and find the USB plug. Just open laptop inside trailer, connect to the (password protected) dash WIFI, download your data.

-Oscar
    bellwilliam likes this.
    Just a guy racing stuff. #GetSickTour
    Facebook ē Instagram

Liked
    401 times

If you configure the AiM as a wireless client you can have the system join an existing wireless network. One scenario is to set up a wireless access point in the RV/Trailer and allow the wireless AiM clients to join this network. Very handy if you have multiple cars to support as you don't have to keep reconfiguring the laptop to join the different networks to gain access. Now if they would only make the SmartyCam wireless....
    bellwilliam likes this.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports

Liked
    2528 times

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineFD View Post
    the AIM customer service team has been excellent to all my support requests.

for the real time delta display, i've been able to set it up simply using the customized alarm.

for ex see attached screen shot, this would light up LED1 in RED if your current delta is slower than your session bestlap up to 0.1second, and LED1 in Blue if your current delta is faster than your session best lap up to 0.1 seoncd.
    you can setup multiple led lights like this, for ex. LED2 for +- 0.2 second, LED3 for +-0.3 second.

credit for this one goes to Mike Jaynes at AIM
    I want my LED to say:

+0.5 = stop sucking
    +0.1 = stop lifting
    -0.1 = you are better than Oli
    -0.5 = you are awesome
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    401 times

Np William,

That can be done

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports

Liked
    2341 times

I want my LED to say:

+0.5 = stop sucking
    +0.1 = stop lifting
    -0.1 = you are better than Oli
    -0.5 = you are awesome

Ha ha! You guys are funny. Now that Richard is gone it looks like I am the center of the joke(s).
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Ha ha! You guys are funny. Now that Richard is gone it looks like I am the center of the joke(s).
    That's because you are always in your racing suit and we know you can take the heat...

Liked
    1 times

So if a bulk buy going to happen? Do we need to wait until they are officially available before this gets kicked off?

Liked
    401 times

First customer ship on the Solo2 is near. AiM is saying Feb and has been for a while now. Pricing looks to be 399/699 as before. I have a few names on the list for the group buy, but before I place a stocking order I would like to re-confirm the numbers. If you are committed (not just interested!) to a Solo2 please pm me yoiur contact info and which solo2 you want. Once I have a head count I can determine pricing and deposit requirements.

Thanks,

Mark
    MikeColangelo likes this.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports

Liked
    89 times

How are the prices on the older SOLO's going to pan out?

Also, everyone in my series ( SPM) uses the older system, so if I overlay my SOLO II data with other's SOLO I, is it going to be a reliable comparison?

It appears one of the features the Solo II is touting is that it is more accurate for the GPS data.

"Solo 2
    the most precise and easy way to get lap times
    The new Solo 2 receives the data from two satellites constellations, GPS and Glonass: this is a huge step forward since it is unbelievably faster and more precise than the previous version"
    SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Liked
    401 times

End of life for the Solo v1.

Mark

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports

Liked
    277 times

Sounds like Spec Corvette racers are going with the standard version. Correct?
    Last edited by MikeColangelo; 01-19-2018 at 08:51 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast