+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: New 2010 and 2015 Helmets?

Liked
    8 times

just got a new zamp fsa-3 (sa2015) and it's not bad. after breaking in, it's nice, but at first it feels a bit tight. for the price, unbeatable.
    '01 Porsche 996 911 Turbo - Reliable track toy
    '93 Mazda RX7 R1 single turbo - SOLD

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by Plavan View Post
    I have both an Aria and new Stilo ST5 with radio earmuffs and drink tube. I like both the helmets alot. The New Stilo is awesome though. No more fiddling with ear buds, and the ear muffs really protect your hearing from high strung motors. I have the Composite, and it is just as light as other CF helmets. Another great feature of the Stilo, they have all different cheek pad and crown sizes- You really can adjust the fit perfectly to your head (and replace old stinky pieces later on).
    Chad,

How are you cleaning the visor in the ST5? I got the same helmet and I don't think the earmuffs do anything. I still wear earplugs under my headsock. The pads really do help to customize the fit. The Stilo is very comfortable.

Liked
    66 times

I bought the special spray they sell. It works great. I don't get my visor that dirty now since I'm in an (Fully) enclosed car.

I have the ear muffs with speakers built in- they are nice and tight. I can hardly hear anyone talking to me with helmet on. Radio talk is perfect and clear.

Winding Road has it. https://store.windingroad.com/stilo-...EegaAjJZ8P8HAQ Spray it on- Wipe it off in one direction, once. Don't scrub or do circles- It protects all the special coatings. And the coatings really work (Anti fog is one of the best I have used)
    Last edited by Plavan; 01-16-2017 at 08:13 PM.
    Olitho, bawareca and Blackbird like this.
    Thanks,

Chad
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype #02 (Chassis #20)
    1969 911ST vintage racer
    1972 911T Numbers Matching under restoration in my garage

Liked
    807 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I totally agree with the comparison of helmet weights. The makers don't typically post that data and the last time I bought a helmet I spent an hour trying to find some meaningful source or someone who had done that. I would have thought a magazine would have done that. It sounds like a good story opportunity to me.
    Attended a biannual instructors meeting this week locally. The fine people from Discovery Parts took time to discuss new equipment, the physics behind the saftey, etc. The topic of helmet weight came up and I remembered this post. It was said the reason for lack of data regarding weights was primarily because of the changes from size to size. Seemed to make sense, but still also didn't seem like it would that difficult to share. I suppose variances in the manufacturing, and options would affect the overall weight as well.
    Olitho likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    The topic of helmet weight came up and I remembered this post. It was said the reason for lack of data regarding weights was primarily because of the changes from size to size. Seemed to make sense, but still also didn't seem like it would that difficult to share. I suppose variances in the manufacturing, and options would affect the overall weight as well.
    That does not make sense to me. IMO people look at safety gear in isolation and not as a system. I would imagine that a better reason for not emphasizing helmet weight maybe other factors. For example even amateur racing sanctioning bodies like scca and nasa mandate NHR (hans) sidenets and encourage containment seats. Use of hans etc. pretty much takes helmet weight out of the equation.
    Force McCocken likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2