+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: New 2010 and 2015 Helmets?

Liked
    2343 times

Default New 2010 and 2015 Helmets?

It is time for me to replace my helmet. It is 2016 and I bet a lot of people are in the same boat if they are using 2005 helmets.

My current helmet is a Zamp composite helmet. It is light and perhaps the most comfortable car racing helmet I have ever owned and worn. Although I only got it about five years ago on a close out it is a 2005, hence the need to replace.

I have read reports that wearing almost any helmet is beneficial. See the extensive Hurt Report for more info. That report say wearing any helmet is beneficial. The most important thing is to simply wear a helmet. What I took from that report was that there is no real benefit to expensive helmets. In other words, the saying "Wear a $69 helmet if you have a $69 head" is not necessarily true.

With that said, I want a good helmet. It does not have to be expensive or cheap. My most recent helmet purchase was made because I really like the comfort and lightness of the Zamp helmet my son wore when he was racing karts. I feel one of the under-rated qualities of a helmet in car racing is the weight. Since so many injuries and deaths come from basal skull injuries, a lighter helmet at 50g's is an asset.

My question is, what is a good and lightweight helmet that is comfortable and preferably not $2,995?

Please share with me your thoughts, opinions and first-hand experiences.

Thanks!

PS. HANS ready preferred.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1720 times

Almost anything is hans ready today and for sure all can be drilled. Snell is improving all the time as is fia ratings like a big change came after the spring penetrated massa's helmet the visors got thicker etc for everyone runing fia events in open wheel cars. So to me that means buy the latest spec as a minimum. There are tests like penetration tests to pass snell. What i noticed was a simpson helmet was physically smaller than a g force helmet. The g force needed extra foam or whatever to pass the test so you had a bigger cue ball on your head. Some chia helmets are super good quality like my old simpson devilray carbon helmet. It held up perfect for 5 years while my expensive stand21 little thing fell off it. My current stillo is very comfortable but has this antifog film on the visor that collects dirt and is hard to clean without scratching it and hard to physically get a rag in to clean it. Wiping loose dirt dry will result in towel fuzz getting stuck on the visor internals. I will not buy another stillo just because of that. I'm thinking the best helmet I had was the simpson devilray.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    41 times

Default Helmet Weights

Helmet weights are difficult to find.
    Just weighed new Bell M8 carbon vs. my old Bell glass M4. M8 is only 2 ounces less. Maybe new spec requires more material?
    Ken at IOPort Racing says Simpson carbon (don't remember which) is the only new helmet that is really lighter.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    807 times

I bought a 2010 Pyrotect Airflow carbon helmet last year. It was one of the lightest in that price range ($700), then I found it online (soloperformance) as a combined special for $375. I like it. it is lighter than my previous HJC.
    Olitho likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    2343 times

Quote Originally Posted by rikgray View Post
    Helmet weights are difficult to find.
    Just weighed new Bell M8 carbon vs. my old Bell glass M4. M8 is only 2 ounces less. Maybe new spec requires more material?
    Ken at IOPort Racing says Simpson carbon (don't remember which) is the only new helmet that is really lighter.
    I totally agree with the comparison of helmet weights. The makers don't typically post that data and the last time I bought a helmet I spent an hour trying to find some meaningful source or someone who had done that. I would have thought a magazine would have done that. It sounds like a good story opportunity to me.

Liked
    807 times

I had similar troubles finding weights. I finally just had to put in the legwork to see. I think now I have a contact who sells racing equipment locally, he might offer real data if I was shopping again.
    Olitho likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    2343 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Almost anything is hans ready today and for sure all can be drilled. Snell is improving all the time as is fia ratings like a big change came after the spring penetrated massa's helmet the visors got thicker etc for everyone runing fia events in open wheel cars. So to me that means buy the latest spec as a minimum. There are tests like penetration tests to pass snell. What i noticed was a simpson helmet was physically smaller than a g force helmet. The g force needed extra foam or whatever to pass the test so you had a bigger cue ball on your head. Some chia helmets are super good quality like my old simpson devilray carbon helmet. It held up perfect for 5 years while my expensive stand21 little thing fell off it. My current stillo is very comfortable but has this antifog film on the visor that collects dirt and is hard to clean without scratching it and hard to physically get a rag in to clean it. Wiping loose dirt dry will result in towel fuzz getting stuck on the visor internals. I will not buy another stillo just because of that. I'm thinking the best helmet I had was the simpson devilray.
    You raise some interesting points, the key being that open cockpit racers need a few different protections than closed. When was the last time we heard about a closed cockpit racer getting a helmet intrusion? I don't think I have ever heard of that.

Another question, when was the last time we heard of a closed cockpit racer dying of head impact injuries. I cannot recall one in a long time. Fortunately racing deaths are way down as are the head injuries from impacts.

All the deaths in the past few years have been from basal skull damage due to rapid deceleration of the body and not the head as opposed to the classic head bump of a motorcycle racer.

Liked
    1495 times

I've read criticism of the snell standard suggesting that they simply increase strength requirements every 5 years without considering whether that strength is necessary or worth the extra weight on your head.

Not sure whether it was BS or not, but might be worth investigating.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    30 times

Thats a 41 year old study of motorcycle incidents. I guess if you are looking for a M rated helmet - some relevance might be found in it,
    but not as much for SA helmets.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    241 times

Oli, here is a little information on weights. A few months ago I purchased a new Bell Carbon GP3 that I really like. I found a little weight information... mine is size 60 and weighs 3.4 lbs ( which included the HANS anchors and also clear bra on the front of the helmet. A Stilo composite in the same size weighs 3.5 lbs. a Stilo Carbon in size 59 weighs 3.2 lbs (couldn't get the weight on a size 60). A Roux Carbon in size 60 weighs 4 lbs (but includes head phones, a drink tube and an eject system built in).

Hope this is helpful.

Charley
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    2343 times

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril View Post
    Thats a 41 year old study of motorcycle incidents. I guess if you are looking for a M rated helmet - some relevance might be found in it,
    but not as much for SA helmets.
    There is a lot of relevance when it comes to impact head injuries. But yes, in closed cars our threats are basal skull more than head impact IMO.

BTW - The Hurt study is a great report. I am not sure there has been much new in all that time that sets any new ground.

Liked
    2343 times

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyH View Post
    Oli, here is a little information on weights. A few months ago I purchased a new Bell Carbon GP3 that I really like. I found a little weight information... mine is size 60 and weighs 3.4 lbs ( which included the HANS anchors and also clear bra on the front of the helmet. A Stilo composite in the same size weighs 3.5 lbs. a Stilo Carbon in size 59 weighs 3.2 lbs (couldn't get the weight on a size 60). A Roux Carbon in size 60 weighs 4 lbs (but includes head phones, a drink tube and an eject system built in).

Hope this is helpful.

Charley
    That is helpful. Thanks.

Liked
    2343 times

Here is an interesting offer from our site sponsor Winding Road Racing.

This new helmet company just made my short list - https://blackarmorhelmets.com/collections/sa2015

This week I am driving over to Winding Road Racing new my office to test fit some of these helmets.

They seem to be quasi made in Texas.

I like the audio options that are available.

Weight: Small 1520g (3.35lbs)

Medium 1560g (3.40lbs)

Large 1680g (3.70lbs)

X-Large 1610g (3.55lbs)

XX-Large 1712g (3.77lbs)

All weights +/- 30g for manufacturing tolerances

Liked
    807 times

I was going to buy a Black Armor helmet, too. I drove to Charlotte to hit the Simpson showroom and a few others. When I went to the licensed Black Armor retailer, they didn't have any on hand to try on or even look at (very shady), but were pushing some other crap brand. I registered a complaint with BA about that, I don't think that retailer is licensed with them any more.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    241 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Here is an interesting offer from our site sponsor Winding Road Racing.

This new helmet company just made my short list - https://blackarmorhelmets.com/collections/sa2015

This week I am driving over to Winding Road Racing new my office to test fit some of these helmets.

They seem to be quasi made in Texas.

I like the audio options that are available.

Weight: Small 1520g (3.35lbs)

Medium 1560g (3.40lbs)

Large 1680g (3.70lbs)

X-Large 1610g (3.55lbs)

XX-Large 1712g (3.77lbs)

All weights +/- 30g for manufacturing tolerances

I looked at the Black Armor Helmets but I wasn't impressed. The chin / face guard is very flexible. I know that they pass the same Snell tests as all of the other helmets, but it was too flexible for my taste. I live about a mile from WRR, so if you want to stop by you are welcome to try on my Bell Carbon for comparison. Or I can meet you there so you can see them side by side. By the way I purchased my helmet from WRR also.

Charley

Last edited by CharleyH; 01-15-2017 at 08:45 PM.

Liked
    1720 times

I think weight matters less now because of hans. There is no question there are closed head injury in a tintop car. It is obvious that there are less hic impacts in a vert but i still would rather crash a hardtop car than an open miata. Snell isn't perfect but it is all we got and sanctioning bodies will demand some minimal snell rating.

Liked
    609 times

I know this might sound like a dumb question... but can you paint these types of helmets? I'm fairly partial to my helmet design, as I've used it (with minor variations) since the 1980s.

Steve

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2085 times

I have been using the Sparco WTX7 carbon helmet for a while and it's a very well made piece, incredibly comfortable and light (a hair under 3 Lbs).
    They have discontinued the 7 when they switched to the SA2015s, but the new Sparco Sky RF-7W that replaced my model looks great - Sparco USA

Liked
    66 times

I have both an Aria and new Stilo ST5 with radio earmuffs and drink tube. I like both the helmets alot. The New Stilo is awesome though. No more fiddling with ear buds, and the ear muffs really protect your hearing from high strung motors. I have the Composite, and it is just as light as other CF helmets. Another great feature of the Stilo, they have all different cheek pad and crown sizes- You really can adjust the fit perfectly to your head (and replace old stinky pieces later on).
    Olitho likes this.
    Thanks,

Chad
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype #02 (Chassis #20)
    1969 911ST vintage racer
    1972 911T Numbers Matching under restoration in my garage

Liked
    2343 times

Thanks Plavan. I stopped using a Simpson a few years ago, while a nice helmet that fit well overall, the crown was tight around my Neanderthal forehead and it was uncomfortable on longer races.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast