+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By emilio700
  • 1 Post By Red_5

Thread: Need a reliable tire pressure gauge

Liked
    226 times

Default Need a reliable tire pressure gauge

I have been through a number of tire pressure gauges over the years. I carry two to the track because it seems like my primary one always loses its calibration, so I check them against each other periodically.

Just checked them this past weekend, and they differ by 5 psi. My buddy's gauge read right in the middle of my two. We wandered over to the Buttonwillow tire shop, and their gauge matched my friend's exactly.

So, who has been able to find a reliable gauge that will last? I get a little pissed that I finally settle on decent tire pressures for my car, and then the gauge starts shift. I have even tried the liquid damped ones. Is it just a fact of life that they all go bad? How can that be? Are the digital ones better in the long run?
    Terry Watson
    AROSC Competition Director

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    345 times

The unit below is the only one I've found so far that has been calibrated correctly and maintains the calibration. Expensive for sure but it has lasted 3 years. More than I can say for the analog gauges I now have lining my tool box. I have several analog tire gauges and they all disagree with each other, sometimes by as much as 5 psi . I've checked thus digital gauge against another identical gauge and they both agreed with each other. I have also had it tested on a NIST certified calibration rig twice and it was spot on. It also has a pyrometer function which is nice. The temperature compensation stuff I pretty much ignore.

Longacre Temp Compensated Tire Gauge 53007

i am usually not a fan of Intercomp products but this one is pretty good.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    641 times

I use simple Longacre digital gauge for 3-4 years and didnt find it showing incorrect readings. Good digital gauges read the atmospheric pressure at start-up and stay accurate at any attitude.

Liked
    345 times

I have 2 Intercomp and 2 Longacre analog gauges. All disagree. When tested the worst one was low by 4.2 lbs. None of this matters if you tune using your own data and your own gauge. When you share data with others or work on customer cars then the accuracy of the gauge starts to matter. It would be nice if the analog gauges could be calibrated by the end user but AFAIK this is not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    I use simple Longacre digital gauge for 3-4 years and didnt find it showing incorrect readings. Good digital gauges read the atmospheric pressure at start-up and stay accurate at any attitude.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports

Liked
    2243 times

Good thread. I've gone through a bunch of them.

I've been using a Longacre analog for a couple of years now, after having gone through three or four gauges. I like it. Be sure to get one that lets you release air from the tire with a thumb button and still give you a reading. I had a digital that had the thumb button, but I had to reset the gauge to get the new reading after releasing the air.

I think this is the newer version:

Longacre Deluxe Tire Pressure Gauge 52003

img_5121.jpg

Liked
    226 times

Quote Originally Posted by markn View Post
    I have 2 Intercomp and 2 Longacre analog gauges. All disagree. When tested the worst one was low by 4.2 lbs. None of this matters if you tune using your own data and your own gauge.
    My experience has been that the discrepancies from one gauge to another will change with time, so it does become a concern. How do you tell which one has shifted? Best 2 out of 3?

One gauge apparently shifted due to the needle continually hitting the stop when pressure was released. Not such a good design.

Do the digital gauges read more consistently and repeatably because there are no (or fewer) moving parts?
    Terry Watson

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2400 times

Tire pressure gauges are sensitive to shock. Don't drop it or bang it into anything, ever. If it gets dropped or banged, check it against a reference before returning it to service.
    We have two in our shop. A $35 Longacre without a case that gets handed roughly and a $65 Longacre that is handled like a Faberge egg and is always stored in its case. They consistently read within .5psi of each other.
    bawareca likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    345 times

I try to take advantage of the tester carried around on the BF Goodrich support truck and check gauges whenever I see them at the track. Usually averages out to about once per year. The digital gauge has been tested at least twice now and is holding its calibration in spite of not so nice treatment by me. I don't know that I'd spring for one with the pyrometer again but I'd certainly buy the digital gauge over the analog version based on my experience so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaysman View Post
    My experience has been that the discrepancies from one gauge to another will change with time, so it does become a concern. How do you tell which one has shifted? Best 2 out of 3?

One gauge apparently shifted due to the needle continually hitting the stop when pressure was released. Not such a good design.

Do the digital gauges read more consistently and repeatably because there are no (or fewer) moving parts?

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports

Liked
    704 times

You guys are making me nervous. I've had my Snap-on digital gauge for over 6 years, never thought it might be no longer accurate. I guess I have another excuse for being slow . . .
    bawareca likes this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    20 times

I've always wondered how accurate mine was, but figured as long as its repeatable (which it is) I should be OK...until the day I forget it and have to borrow someone else's. And on a slightly different note, the guage orientation seems upside down to me, I wish there was an option to have it flipped. For some reason I don't like turning the guage 180 degrees when checking pressures. Does this bother anyone else?
    '99 miata

Liked
    226 times

Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    I've always wondered how accurate mine was, but figured as long as its repeatable (which it is) I should be OK...
    How do you know it is repeatable unless you check it against a reference?
    Terry Watson

Liked
    20 times

Quote Originally Posted by Slaysman View Post
    How do you know it is repeatable unless you check it against a reference?
    Very good question. While I haven't checked against a known accurate or known repeatable reference... I use it to check my daily drivers as well as at the track, so its been checked against my electric compressor, bike pump (not a cheapie) and I've checked after having a shop mount/balance tires. Sure, in the beginning I had no idea but after using it 20+ times its easy to have an "idea" of its accuracy. I'd trust it to +/- 1 psi or so. Not definitive proof by any means, but for a relatively inexpensive guage (basic longacre) it's good enough for me.
    '99 miata

+ Reply to Thread